Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penguins are going to the cup and they only scored 3 goals more vs the Rangers in round 2.

Sather blew it for the Rangers this past season at the trade deadline.

Neil Smith would get the guys we needed. Like he did in 94.

On another note im very happy to see the Flyers get outscored 20-9 by the Penguins.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sather did the right thing by not trading away youth for the over-the-hill gang like the Rangers usually do. This team was not good enough to win. Sather should let Jagr and Shanahan ride off into the sunset, sign a couple of youngish free agents if he can, and let Dubinsky, Staal, etc. develop. If he does that he's on the right track. The Rangers have one of the best if not the best crop of young players in the league, probably the first time ever.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sather did the right thing by not trading away youth for the over-the-hill gang like the Rangers usually do. This team was not good enough to win. Sather should let Jagr and Shanahan ride off into the sunset, sign a couple of youngish free agents if he can, and let Dubinsky, Staal, etc. develop. If he does that he's on the right track. The Rangers have one of the best if not the best crop of young players in the league, probably the first time ever.
And see what happened with Montoya & Prucha Sather held one too long and now prucha has zero trade value.

San Jose did not give up a lot for Campbell nor did the Penguins give much up for Hossa.

If you look through the Rangers farm system they could trade 3-4 players without any damage as they still have one of the elite crops of kids with future NHL talent.

I guess from the your post your one of those Rangers fans that wishes we kept Tony Amonte and Doug Weight. IMO thats a trade that helped the Rangers get the cup in 94 and ill do it all over again if it means a trip to the cup and only being outscored by the Penguins 15-12 in the second round shows me Sather did nothing to help this team at the deadline. The Rangers as of now have Callahan, Dawes, Dubinsky, Tyutin, Girardi, Staal and Lundqvist. Thats 7 full time roster Players from there system. I see at least 4 more from the system after that who will be good NHL players. As for the rest move a few. Bottom line Sather sat in his office sucking cigar wind and did squat. Its easy to have a player fill in the blank check any GM can do that but the great GM's are the ones who can pull off those deals to put there teams to the next levels and that is not Sather.

Now a question you should ask yourself were the penguins good enough before the deadline to make it to the cup?

·
Registered
987 Posts
And see what happened with Montoya & Prucha Sather held one too long and now prucha has zero trade value.

San Jose did not give up a lot for Campbell nor did the Penguins give much up for Hossa.

If you look through the Rangers farm system they could trade 3-4 players without any damage as they still have one of the elite crops of kids with future NHL talent.

I guess from the your post your one of those Rangers fans that wishes we kept Tony Amonte and Doug Weight. IMO thats a trade that helped the Rangers get the cup in 94 and ill do it all over again if it means a trip to the cup and only being outscored by the Penguins 15-12 in the second round shows me Sather did nothing to help this team at the deadline. The Rangers as of now have Callahan, Dawes, Dubinsky, Tyutin, Girardi, Staal and Lundqvist. Thats 7 full time roster Players from there system. I see at least 4 more from the system after that who will be good NHL players. As for the rest move a few. Bottom line Sather sat in his office sucking cigar wind and did squat. Its easy to have a player fill in the blank check any GM can do that but the great GM's are the ones who can pull off those deals to put there teams to the next levels and that is not Sather.

Now a question you should ask yourself were the penguins good enough before the deadline to make it to the cup?
Sather held Prucha because Prucha was good. Did you want him to trade Prucha after he scored 30 goals his first year out of nowhere? I sure didn't. Yeah, he stunk this year but I don't think that it will last forever.

For whatever reason goalies have little trade value. I've never understood that but it's true. I thought that Montoya should have been the backup for Lunqvist this year because he had zero trade value in the minors and Valiquette is not an NHL caliber goalie.

I don't second guess the Amonte trade because Matteau scored the most important goal in franchise history. But Amonte probably had 4 or 5 times as many career points as Matteau and Noonan combined.

Were the Penguins good enough to win the Cup? Maybe they were. They were sure a lot closer than the Rangers. My only problem with the Penguins chances was Fleury, who's a dog whether they wn or not.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sather held Prucha because Prucha was good. Did you want him to trade Prucha after he scored 30 goals his first year out of nowhere? I sure didn't. Yeah, he stunk this year but I don't think that it will last forever.

For whatever reason goalies have little trade value. I've never understood that but it's true. I thought that Montoya should have been the backup for Lunqvist this year because he had zero trade value in the minors and Valiquette is not an NHL caliber goalie.

I don't second guess the Amonte trade because Matteau scored the most important goal in franchise history. But Amonte probably had 4 or 5 times as many career points as Matteau and Noonan combined.

Were the Penguins good enough to win the Cup? Maybe they were. They were sure a lot closer than the Rangers. My only problem with the Penguins chances was Fleury, who's a dog whether they wn or not.

Prucha and his 30 goals were a fluke. his last 2 seasons were nothing to brag about. he gets killed on the ice and any hockey fan will tell you he wont last long in the NHL no matter how tough he trys to play those hits he takes will have a toll on him. Look at his stats back when he played in czech also they were nothing to brag about. It was a fluke 30 goals.

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
Penguins are going to the cup and they only scored 3 goals more vs the Rangers in round 2.

Sather blew it for the Rangers this past season at the trade deadline.

Neil Smith would get the guys we needed. Like he did in 94.

On another note im very happy to see the Flyers get outscored 20-9 by the Penguins.
So you must also be very happy that the Flyers went deeper in the playoffs than the Rags.!!

Hey in the end what ever works for you to justifie yet another disapointment by a collection on NHL castoffs and misfits.:bt

·
Registered
313 Posts
So you must also be very happy that the Flyers went deeper in the playoffs than the Rags.!!

Hey in the end what ever works for you to justifie yet another disapointment by a collection on NHL castoffs and misfits.:bt
The flyers didnt fare any better than the rags, had the flyers played the pens earlier im sure they would have gotten flogged in that round too.

too bad we had them in the 2nd round, you just delayed the pain.

Castoffs/misfits. ha.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
The flyers didnt fare any better than the rags, had the flyers played the pens earlier im sure they would have gotten flogged in that round too.

too bad we had them in the 2nd round, you just delayed the pain.

Castoffs/misfits. ha.
Actually, the Flyers probably could have beat the Pens had they played them in the first or second round. The first two rounds, the Flyers had their defense. They weren't missing Timonen and Coburn in the first two rounds. Smith had two separated shoulders and Hatcher was getting fluid drained from his knee on a daily basis.

Who knows. It is what it is. The Flyers were the underdog by the "experts" in all three series and managed to win two of them. I'm happy for them for where they came from after last year. I'll wager the Flyers will finish better than the Rangers and go farther in the playoffs this year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts