Hockey Fan Forums banner

Some recent thoughts

5K views 75 replies 13 participants last post by  Adama0905 
#1 ·
-Today Cody McCormick was put on waivers. Comments? He's someone we it wouldn't hurt to lose, though he's not too bad a player.

-Did anyone read Adam Foote's comments at the end of the TSN article about the Avs' loss to Columbus? "The first time my family came back (to Colorado) was this trip,'' Foote said. ''Colorado is tattooed in my heart. But it's part of the game (moving on) and things happen for a reason. A big part of my life is Colorado. You never know, I've got a shot to do it here right now. But one day I might bring my family back here.'' Read into it what you will, but I sure hope he has aspirations of playing here again soon. I still think he's arguably the best defensive defenseman in the league today, or at least top 5. Granted, the Jackets will probably never want to let him go now (besides he's their captain), but with his lack of scoring and his -15 rating, who knows. Besides, with the rising of the cap limit (w00t!), the Avs may have the room. Still, I'm not getting my hopes too high.

-Yes, the goaltending is as bad as ever. Budaj has potential, but this is not his year to be #1. And you know how I feel about Theodore. Not long ago he finally had a good, solid game for once. Then he flopped the very next game. Typical. Both of our goalies have been very inconsistent. We need to do everything we can to drop Theo and bring in a solid, bonafide #1 netminder. Our season's falling apart, largely due to goaltending. The time for playing around and experimenting is over. It's time to put together a winning team, from the goaltending out.

-Defense still has a gaping hole left by the departures of Foote and Blake, and the Avs are paying for it. We need another solid d-men. But first, we need to solve our 8 d-men problem.

-Offense has fallen to pieces, but it's not for lacking of good forwards. It's lack of motivation, and I blame Quenneville for a lot of this. He's not getting the team motivated, and he's obviously not disciplining them either, or they'd skate like they meant it. Sure, we got 41 shots (or something like it) on net last game, but we weren't crashing the net or playing with any fire. We completely threw away that 5 on 3 power play and from there on the game went out like a dead match. If Quenneville doesn't get his act together and fast, it's time for a coaching change. We also could probably consider bringing in a good player who's a leader and a motivator. I don't expect to find another Ray Bourque, but we need someone to fire this team up.

See less See more
#27 ·
What do you gusy think of Arnason's play? I think he's played great since coming here, I was thinking before he came here why bring him.... But He has 24 points, and is on pace for a career high 61. I don't think he'll get 61, but he has been playing some good hockey...

(I didn't want to make a new thread, because this is a thought)

#34 ·
Great, tonight was just another game that Theodore lost for us. Yet another series of bad goals blew our lead and ultimately killed us. We would've beat them for sure if Budaj were in, but go figure, Theo got lucky last game, so they just had to go and put him in again tonight. By the time they finally woke up and pulled him, it was too late. When are the Avs going to wake up? I'm not so sure if Budaj's ready for the starting job just yet, but he's still leagues ahead of Theodore.

It has to say something when even the sports writers are talking about it. Sure, McNabb and Haynes kiss up to him and praise him so much that it hurts, but they're obviously paid to do that. Either that, or they have a serious problem.

I do remember however hearing that one of the Colorado news casters even said right out, "Here's the question: when are the Avalanche going to make Peter Budaj their #1 goaltender?" And shortly after, I heard a sports news website talking about it (I can't remember which one at the moment, but it was there).

Lord only knows they have good reason. Budaj's numbers are far better than Theodore's, and anyone who's watched the Avs knows he's been a lot more consistent. Budaj is still riding a personal 4-game winning streak. Theodore's had nothing like that all year. Budaj also has a shutout. Theo has none.

Really, one can tell just by watching them play who's in control. Theo almost always looks nervous, is constantly out of position, and makes a lot poor decisions. Budaj often looks very calm and in control, and plays with a lot of patience and maturity. Remember the recent game when Budaj gave up what the Colorado news called the "softest goal in NHL history" (and with good reason)? On the very next play, he came up with one or two big saves, and was solid for the rest of the game. He didn't let it rattle him at all; rather, he rebounded from it and made up for it. If Theo lets in a goal, he's even more nervous for the rest of the game then he would've been had he not allowed it.

And for crying out loud, he's using up nearly $6 million of our salary? What the heck are we paying him for anyway? He isn't even worth $1 million at this point. All he's doing is eating up cap space and losing games for us. Aebischer was horrible, but at least he was a lot cheaper (and no, there's no way I want him back).

Forget the past. This is the present. I don't care if Theo won back to back Stanley Cups and Conn Smythes a few years ago. The point is, he sucked last season, and he sucks easily as much this season. I don't care how they do it, but they really need to get Theo out of Colorado. This was a gamble that fell through completely. The dillusions of granduer are over. Time to get realistic. We're not going to have a good, successful team until he's out of the picture.

#39 ·
Uhm, if we could get Aebischer back, it would be the best thing in the world for us. I don't believe anyone saw Aebi back in January of this year, obviously Jeikobu or whatever didn't see him, but he was fantastic. Fantastic, therefore making the choice to deal him even worse. He's better than either Budaj or Theodore, and at a cheap price.

What we need to do is buy Theodore out or something, then get ourselves a real goalie. I don't how, but we need to. Obviously we won't get Aebi back, the Avs management is too thick for that, but we need someone. We have goalies that are capable of great games and stealing the show, but don't do it because they underachieve. Well, at least Theodore definitely underachieves. Budaj's not capable of the kind of consistensy we need because of his age.

Do something, management. I don't know, but something needs to be done.

#40 ·
Uhm, if we could get Aebischer back, it would be the best thing in the world for us. I don't believe anyone saw Aebi back in January of this year, obviously Jeikobu or whatever didn't see him, but he was fantastic. Fantastic, therefore making the choice to deal him even worse. He's better than either Budaj or Theodore, and at a cheap price.

What we need to do is buy Theodore out or something, then get ourselves a real goalie. I don't how, but we need to. Obviously we won't get Aebi back, the Avs management is too thick for that, but we need someone. We have goalies that are capable of great games and stealing the show, but don't do it because they underachieve. Well, at least Theodore definitely underachieves. Budaj's not capable of the kind of consistensy we need because of his age.

I have an idea... Not sure it will happen.

Okay. Try and get one of SJ's goalies... Doesn't matter which one.. For a few people... Don't care who Not Sakic or Svatos or Wolski. And then, Buy Theo out at the end of the season... and there we go. We'd have to package a few players... But it should work out good.

#41 ·

Okay. Try and get one of SJ's goalies... Doesn't matter which one.. For a few people... Don't care who Not Sakic or Svatos or Wolski. And then, Buy Theo out at the end of the season... and there we go. We'd have to package a few players... But it should work out good.
Yeah, players with some salary prolly. I have a feeling we're going to send Hejduk off somewhere by trade deadline...

#43 ·

Are you kidding? Aebischer is the only goalie I can think of that's almost as bad as Theodore, maybe as bad. He lacks the talent of a starter (though his ego has him believing he's incredible), and thus tries to make up for it by playing the way he does. He constantly flops around in the goal like a fish out of water to try and save shots, rather than using his head. He also drops to his knees far too early (and then when he's committed, all he can do is move around on his knees or dive)(hmm, this sounds like someone else we know...Theo, do you have any idea who that could be?), and doesn't have a good sense of positioning. More so, he comes way too far out of his crease to challenge, leaving a wide-open net (something that burned him a lot when he played in Colorado), and he constantly kicks out rebounds the size of Alaska. The only thing I'll give him is he's probably a little better than Theodore, but that's not saying anything.

In summary, we have to get rid of Theodore, but there's also no way we want Aebischer back. I can think of tons of goalies off the top of my head who are better than the both of them put together.

BTW, as for Aebi being better than Budaj, why don't we take a look at the stats?

Peter Budaj: 17 games played, 9 wins, 1 shutout, 2.48 GAA, and .909 S%

David Aebischer: 14 games played, 7 wins, 0 shutouts, 2.96 GAA, and .908 S%

Not a dramatic difference, but enough that it's clear who's better. There are a lot of good goalies out there. Aebi's not one of them. We'd be morons to bring him back. We wouldn't win much more with him in net than we are with Theo in net.

Theodore's numbers: 22 games played, 9 wins, 0 shutouts, 3.10 GAA, and .899 S%.

So Aebi is playing better (he also won the battle when the Avs faced the Habs due to Theo's meltdown), but not by a large margain.

Budaj is playing better than both of them, hands down (note that he's played 5 less games than Theo and yet has just as many wins, and also a winning record, while Theo has a losing record as of last night). However, while Budaj seems to be getting better and better, we definitely need insurance since Budaj has displayed some considerable inconsistency at times this season. The Avs should probably shoot for a goalie that he split time with.

I'm not sure if buying him out would work or not, because of his huge salary. But whatever we do, we need to do it, and fast. In a division this tight (not to mention league), we can't afford to be playing around. The time to move is now.

For a long time I've loved the idea of bringing Nabokov to Colorado (at least his huge salary would be worth it), but he has a no-trade cluase, and even if it were waived, we'd have to pay out the nose to get him.

Yeah, players with some salary prolly. I have a feeling we're going to send Hejduk off somewhere by trade deadline...
God I hope not, Hejduk is a big part of our scoring lines. He's an excellent player and we'd be crazy to trade him off. When Sakic retires (hopefully in the distant future), it's players like Hedgy that we'll really need.

#45 ·
He's still dealing with his recent groin injury, but last game he was listed as "doubtful", so that's certainly better than him being completely out. He's obviously making progress. My bet is we'll see him as early as next game, but more likely he'll return for our New Year's Day game vs. the Preds.

#46 ·
Habs4Life said:
People were blasting me in the past for me saying that Theo was overrated, im glad to see that I wasnt wrong afteral
And I was glad to see Montreal drop four straight against Carolina, but that's niether here nor there. This thread, however, is farcical on multiple levels. Trading Theodore and his $6 million salary is not going to happen. Period. To get him in another sweater the Avs would have to pay out the nose, which would cost the team far more than just letting him ride the bench. Why would Wilson ship out Nabokov (and Malakov) for Theodore? At best (and it's a stretch), that trade would be a wash for SJ, and that's the prevalent issue at hand:

Theodore will not improve any team (except St. Louis and Phoenix, but they have nothing to trade) and thus trading him is not a feasible option. At best, what the Avs need is a repeat of last season, with a low-seeded team picking him up in the hope that he can get hot in time for the playoffs. That's extremely improbable, because there's little doubt Theodore can pull a Roloson, whearas last season even the most arrogant Habs fan (exhibit A is above, or just ask JL) couldn't definitively say Theodore wasn't capable of making waves. Now we know the opposite is true, and I can't see any team trying to make the third time a charm.

Thus the Avs are stuck with him until his contract expires at the end of the season, and fans are regulated to the coin-toss method of whether Theodore will play well (make no mistake, he has stolen games for the Avs this year) or will blow a 2-goal lead on any given night. Right now it looks likely that Theodore rides the bench until further notice, but with Quineville's get-the-win-or-don't-come-home system there's no telling who plays when.

To me, what's more worrisome than an underperforming starter is whether giving a sixty-game starting schedule to a goalie who's yet to play fourty (Budaj) will bite the Avs in the ass. Last season Budaj played non-stop following Aebischer's depart, and in that stretch provided no better than mediocre goaltending. At a time when Sakic, Brunette, Liles, and Blake hauled ass to keep the Avs in a playoff spot, I distinctly remember Budaj phoned it in some nights. While Budaj has better-than-average numbers this year, he's played less-than-average teams to get them. Yeah, he got a shutout against Columbus, but there's seven other goalies in the NHL who've done the same thing this season. Have we all forgotten the 7-6 Edmonton squeeker? Budaj blew a two goal lead. Twice. Yet Theodore gets more flack for a 5-4 loss. Crazy world we live in.

That having been said, I do have a proposal.

The second I heard Theodore's $6 million salary had arrived with the Avs, I wondered if somehow, by some conspiring fates, Theodore's $6 million salary could be used as leverage to acquire Mr. Peter Forsberg and his $6 million salary. Almost a year later, perhaps that option is upon Colorado.

Theodore is currently getting flack from his team. Forsberg is currently getting flack from his team. Do the math. If Francois Giguerre can get a 2nd rounder out of Burke for an AHL player (Parros), there's no doubt in my mind he can play Bobby Clarke like a 250-pound violin. In the beginning of the season, rumors swirled about how Philly wanted either Skrastins or Vaananen. Obviously niether moved, but if Giguere can fan a few flames, I think he can pull a deal. Even so, the Avs would have to give up alot and take in some of Philly's garbage.

In the spirit of Go_Nucks:

To Philadelphia:

Jose Theodore
Tyler Arnason
Ossi Vaananen
2007 2nd rounder (not Calgary's or Anaheim's, because they're more likely to finish higher than Colorado)

To Colorado:

Peter Forsberg
Robert Esche

----------------

That's physically painful to type, not only because I really like Arnason and Vaananen, but also because Esche is damn near useless and this trade would mean the Avs essentially threw away the aforementioned plus Aebischer and a year of Forsberg's productivity because of the salary cap. However, it's not horrific when considering a few things.

-Esche can't do any worse than Theodore, and if he does than it's straight to the AHL where he most likely belongs, and whoever's next on the depth chart (Wieman? Lawson? Franek?) gets some experience.
-Arnason's contract runs dry after this season and he is going to get alot more than 950K on the free market. Forsberg's contract runs dry after this season and he won't be getting a raise anytime soon. Not to mention that I'd take Forsberg for 40 games over Arnason for 80, even though I really like how Arnason's been doing.
-Vaananen is a solid defenseman but Leopold is a better player than Vaananen can ever hope to be. Also, there's plenty of large, hard-hitting defensemen on the farm team. Again, I like Vaananen (except the boarding penalties he takes), but he isn't difficult to replace.

This still leaves Colorado without a suitable starter (again, Budaj has a grand total of 51 NHL games under his belt) but leaves the team with much more to gain (ie Forsberg on his game, especially come playoff time) than to lose.

In any event, I still trust Lacroix and Giguere, and Sakic is still captain of the team, so the Avs can't be counted out yet.

That is all...

#47 ·

The second I heard Theodore's $6 million salary had arrived with the Avs, I wondered if somehow, by some conspiring fates, Theodore's $6 million salary could be used as leverage to acquire Mr. Peter Forsberg and his $6 million salary. Almost a year later, perhaps that option is upon Colorado.

Theodore is currently getting flack from his team. Forsberg is currently getting flack from his team. Do the math. If Francois Giguerre can get a 2nd rounder out of Burke for an AHL player (Parros), there's no doubt in my mind he can play Bobby Clarke like a 250-pound violin. In the beginning of the season, rumors swirled about how Philly wanted either Skrastins or Vaananen. Obviously niether moved, but if Giguere can fan a few flames, I think he can pull a deal. Even so, the Avs would have to give up alot and take in some of Philly's garbage.

To Philadelphia:

Jose Theodore
Tyler Arnason
Ossi Vaananen
2007 2nd rounder (not Calgary's or Anaheim's, because they're more likely to finish higher than Colorado)

To Colorado:

Peter Forsberg
Robert Esche

----------------

That's physically painful to type, not only because I really like Arnason and Vaananen, but also because Esche is damn near useless and this trade would mean the Avs essentially threw away the aforementioned plus Aebischer and a year of Forsberg's productivity because of the salary cap. However, it's not horrific when considering a few things.

-Esche can't do any worse than Theodore, and if he does than it's straight to the AHL where he most likely belongs, and whoever's next on the depth chart (Wieman? Lawson? Franek?) gets some experience.
-Arnason's contract runs dry after this season and he is going to get alot more than 950K on the free market. Forsberg's contract runs dry after this season and he won't be getting a raise anytime soon. Not to mention that I'd take Forsberg for 40 games over Arnason for 80, even though I really like how Arnason's been doing.
I agree. I think someone should go tell Francois... He's be able to pull it off.

#48 ·
And I was glad to see Montreal drop four straight against Carolina, but that's niether here nor there. This thread, however, is farcical on multiple levels. Trading Theodore and his $6 million salary is not going to happen. Period. To get him in another sweater the Avs would have to pay out the nose, which would cost the team far more than just letting him ride the bench. Why would Wilson ship out Nabokov (and Malakov) for Theodore? At best (and it's a stretch), that trade would be a wash for SJ, and that's the prevalent issue at hand:

Theodore will not improve any team (except St. Louis and Phoenix, but they have nothing to trade) and thus trading him is not a feasible option. At best, what the Avs need is a repeat of last season, with a low-seeded team picking him up in the hope that he can get hot in time for the playoffs. That's extremely improbable, because there's little doubt Theodore can pull a Roloson, whearas last season even the most arrogant Habs fan (exhibit A is above, or just ask JL) couldn't definitively say Theodore wasn't capable of making waves. Now we know the opposite is true, and I can't see any team trying to make the third time a charm.

Thus the Avs are stuck with him until his contract expires at the end of the season, and fans are regulated to the coin-toss method of whether Theodore will play well (make no mistake, he has stolen games for the Avs this year) or will blow a 2-goal lead on any given night. Right now it looks likely that Theodore rides the bench until further notice, but with Quineville's get-the-win-or-don't-come-home system there's no telling who plays when.
What games has he stolen? I remember he played one good, soild game this year the whole way through. For all of the other games, he's either sucked entirely, or only played well for part of it, and crapped out for the rest (usually the second half of the game).

The Avs management are kidding themselves. Until they wake up and find a way to drop Theodore, this same kind of chaos will persist.

Today I read an article from the Rocky Mountain News where Quenneville was praising Theodore and talking about the confidence he still has in him, and all I could think was, "is he getting paid to talk like this, or is he just stupid?"

You may be right, we may have to just have him "ride the bench". But that still means he'll get playing time, even if he's a backup. Sure, that's far better than him being the starter (or even semi-starter), but that means he'll still be out there losing games for us. If we do that, then we still need to look at all other possible methods for dropping him in the meantime. If it really can't be helped, we'll ride out the season, but then we really need to get rid of him in the offseason. We can't go through a whole nother season of this.

To me, what's more worrisome than an underperforming starter is whether giving a sixty-game starting schedule to a goalie who's yet to play fourty (Budaj) will bite the Avs in the ass. Last season Budaj played non-stop following Aebischer's depart, and in that stretch provided no better than mediocre goaltending.
He actually played pretty well. 7-4-2 isn't a wow-wow record, but this was a rookie goalie who until then was mearly in a backup role. He also grabbed two shutouts in that short span. He handled it well. More so, he's looked a lot better this year. He looks a lot more experienced already, as well as more comfortable and confident in net. He was still getting the feel for it last season. This season he's already shown solid signs of improvement. He finally won his first shootout, in which he looked very good, and his stats are noteably better than where they were at the end of last season.

He may not be ready for a full-time starting job this season, but he's well on his way, and I think it would be sensible, if he keeps playing like this or better, to get a new goalie and have him split time with him.

At a time when Sakic, Brunette, Liles, and Blake hauled ass to keep the Avs in a playoff spot, I distinctly remember Budaj phoned it in some nights. While Budaj has better-than-average numbers this year, he's played less-than-average teams to get them. Yeah, he got a shutout against Columbus, but there's seven other goalies in the NHL who've done the same thing this season. Have we all forgotten the 7-6 Edmonton squeeker? Budaj blew a two goal lead. Twice. Yet Theodore gets more flack for a 5-4 loss. Crazy world we live in.
I think not. Think about it. Budaj is an improving goalie in his second year. Theodore is a washed up goalie that should be playing his best hockey right now, but insstead is playing his worst. Yes, Budaj has played some bad games this year. But he's played more good than bad, something that certainly can't be said for Theodore.

To Philadelphia:

Jose Theodore
Tyler Arnason
Ossi Vaananen

To Colorado:

Peter Forsberg
Robert Esche

----------------

-Vaananen is a solid defenseman but Leopold is a better player than Vaananen can ever hope to be. Also, there's plenty of large, hard-hitting defensemen on the farm team. Again, I like Vaananen (except the boarding penalties he takes), but he isn't difficult to replace.

This still leaves Colorado without a suitable starter (again, Budaj has a grand total of 51 NHL games under his belt) but leaves the team with much more to gain (ie Forsberg on his game, especially come playoff time) than to lose.

In any event, I still trust Lacroix and Giguere, and Sakic is still captain of the team, so the Avs can't be counted out yet.

That is all...
I very much disagree with that trade. We'd lose so badly. The only upside would be getting rid of Theodore, and there have to be better ways to do it than that.

Esche is having a very bad year (he made 42 saves on 45 shots last night vs. Tampa, but that's one game). The only good news is he's cheap, and maybe he could be a decent try for someone to backup or split time with Theodore. It's a gamble, though, and one would think there are safer ones we could make than that. I think he could regain his form here, but we just tried that with Theo, and look where that got us. x_X

Foppa is about the most injury-prone player in the league. He's one of the top 5 most talented to be sure, but he's barely ever healthy. As much as I'd love to see him back, it's too big a gamble, and not a smart one. More importantly, he's a little more expensive than Theodore. Why should we pay $5.75 million to have a player who will play half a season at best? Most of the time we'll be short handed while he sits on injured reserve eating up a huge chunk of cap space.

As for who we'd drop, that's the part that would make this move the most ridiculous. A 2007 2nd rounder? That could become a very valuable player.

Arnason has had a great year, and I for one would rather have a productive player who will probably play the whole season (or most of it) than having a more productive player who may only play half a season.

As for Vaananen, he's a solid d-man, and he's still only in his mid-twenties. If we drop him now and then he hits his prime and really starts to make a name for himself, we'll be kicking ourselves.

Granted, we could probably get rid of these guys for the right price, but we'd have to get a lot better than what you proposed, with all due respect.

On a different note, Svatos is expected to play tonight (if there is a game tonight (the snow, 'nuff said)), and Budaj will get the start (I got this from the Rocky Mountain News)! ^^

#50 ·
Phish said:
Hey, Hey, Hey. Hold up Phish. This is the only time I will disagree with you. Esche is totally starter, and NHL stature. (I'm Being A Little Biased Here) but Esche would improve tons in Colorado, and would easily lead us into the playoffs. So I like your trade proposal.

Secondly, I think if Forsberg came back here, he would feel more at home, and it could help him because there would be less pressure on him (He Wouldn't Be Bearing The 'C') and as you later state, I'd rather him play 40 games with us, then 80 with Arny.

#51 ·
Hey, Hey, Hey. Hold up Phish. This is the only time I will disagree with you. Esche is totally starter, and NHL stature. (I'm Being A Little Biased Here) but Esche would improve tons in Colorado, and would easily lead us into the playoffs. So I like your trade proposal.

Secondly, I think if Forsberg came back here, he would feel more at home, and it could help him because there would be less pressure on him (He Wouldn't Be Bearing The 'C') and as you later state, I'd rather him play 40 games with us, then 80 with Arny.
The nearly second time I agree with you today.

I don't thik we would improve alot more, but he would be a hell of a lot better then Theo. And I would love that deal..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.