Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
10/13/2006 1:05:21 AM

EDMONTON (CP) - Ryan Smyth scored a natural hat trick in a span of 2:01 early in the third period to cue an Edmonton Oilers comeback in a 6-4 win over the San Jose Sharks on Thursday night.

The hurried hat trick broke Wayne Gretzky's Oilers record for fastest three goals of 2:18 and also pushed Smyth over the 500 point mark in his NHL career.

San Jose was comfortably ahead 4-2 to start the third period before Kyle McLaren took a pair of penalties. Smyth scored on both power plays, just 19 seconds apart. He then added the game winner for his fifth career hat trick and fourth point of the night.

The last minute heroics spoiled a hat trick by San Jose's Jonathan Cheechoo and the Sharks attempts to gain a measure of revenge for being ousted by the Oilers in the second round of last season's playoffs.

The Oilers move to 2-1 on the season while the Sharks drop to 3-1 in a game where they looked like they would have their first 4-0 start to the season in franchise history.

The Oilers struck first, just three minutes into the first period, when a bouncing puck pinballed past San Jose goaltender Evgeni Nabokov.

Rookie Patrick Thoresen was credited with his first career regular season goal to give Edmonton the early lead.

But San Jose was quick to respond three minutes later when Jonathan Cheechoo put a blistering shot from the slot past Edmonton goalie Dwayne Roloson to tie the game 1-1.

Less than two minutes later, Cheechoo scored his second of the game on a two-man advantage to put the Sharks ahead 2-1 after the first.

COMPLETE ARTICLE

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
What?! :eek: Last I heard before I went to bed, it was 4-2 Sharks in the 3rd and Cheechoo had completed the trick (I had to wake up early this morning).

Suddenly Smyth scored a hattrick and the Oilers won?

Well, I didn't expect it. Good for them, I think that this win proves that they'll be a much better team than most think this year.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3rd period was very exciting to watch. What a come back by the Oilers!!! It was like watching a different team, compared to the first 2 periods.

It kinda spoiled the hat trick by Cheechoo, and Thornton had 3 assists in the game as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts