Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Associated Press
9/21/2006 11:55:20 PM

CHICAGO (AP) - Bryan Smolinski scored his second goal 46 seconds into overtime to give the Chicago Blackhawks a 3-2 pre-season victory over the Florida Panthers on Thursday night.

Jim Vandermeer also scored for the Blackhawks. Rostislav Olesz and Denis Shvidki scored for the Panthers (0-4).

Nikolai Khabibulin made 27 saves for Chicago (2-0) in his first pre-season action.

Smolinski ended the game when he took a loose puck off the boards, skated to between the circles and beat Florida goalie Craig Anderson to his glove side with a slap shot. Anderson made 31 saves for the Panthers.

Smolinski was acquired along with left wing Martin Havlat from Ottawa in the three-team trade that sent Mark Bell to San Jose. Havlat made his Chicago debut Thursday, skating 28 shifts and putting two shots on goal.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Look out here come the BlackHawks! Well, maybe not quite yet but no one can be that bad forever. For all the press that Havlat gets, I think Smolinski is almost as important to that team right now.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shookem said:
Look out here come the BlackHawks! Well, maybe not quite yet but no one can be that bad forever. For all the press that Havlat gets, I think Smolinski is almost as important to that team right now.
Havlat is good, I'll give him that, but to carry a team on his shoulders for 82 games, I don't think he has it in him. IMO

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
panoo2004 said:
Havlat is good, I'll give him that, but to carry a team on his shoulders for 82 games, I don't think he has it in him. IMO
I'm not sure he can carry a team through three periods let alone 82 games. If he doesn't mind slumming it for a year or two he may see the playoffs with the Hawks but it's really going test his strength and will this year.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shookem said:
I'm not sure he can carry a team through three periods let alone 82 games. If he doesn't mind slumming it for a year or two he may see the playoffs with the Hawks but it's really going test his strength and will this year.
LOL:laugh: True, I have to agree!! I don't think they'll make the playoffs this year anyway. First, he has to play a full season, which he has yet to do in his NHL career!! Second, it takes a team to win in this sport, not an individual!!!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
panoo2004 said:
LOL:laugh: True, I have to agree!! I don't think they'll make the playoffs this year anyway. First, he has to play a full season, which he has yet to do in his NHL career!! Second, it takes a team to win in this sport, not an individual!!!
True and he has some decent young players to work with. Guys like Bourque, Vrbata and Seabrook will probably turn out to be good NHL players but it's going to be a year or two before they can really rely on them.....and I guess that's why Havlat and Smolinski are here. Having said that those good young guys will probably be gone by the time they're ready to do something big, just like Bell and Calder.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shookem said:
True and he has some decent young players to work with. Guys like Bourque, Vrbata and Seabrook will probably turn out to be good NHL players but it's going to be a year or two before they can really rely on them.....and I guess that's why Havlat and Smolinski are here. Having said that those good young guys will probably be gone by the time they're ready to do something big, just like Bell and Calder.
True, it's hard to follow a team nowadays, with everyone changing teams like they do. But the NHL needed the cap!! And you can be sure as soon as Havlat's contract is over, he'll be looking for more bucks as well!! If he lasts in Chicago through the duration of his contract?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
panoo2004 said:
True, it's hard to follow a team nowadays, with everyone changing teams like they do. But the NHL needed the cap!! And you can be sure as soon as Havlat's contract is over, he'll be looking for more bucks as well!! If he lasts in Chicago through the duration of his contract?
He signed a three year, $18 million dollar deal this past summer.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shookem said:
He signed a three year, $18 million dollar deal this past summer.
Yeah exactly, and if he lasts for the duration of it, he will probably look for an even bigger one, that's what he does!!

When he was in Ottawa, he was always a problem come contract time, and I don't see that stopping any time soon with him.

He and Yashin are from the same mold I think!! LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts