Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For reference, the players that have been moved in the time I originally posted this till the trading deadline, are outlined in red
Yes I know the Rangers can possibly still make the playoffs..... by going on a 20 game win streak! LOL - Let's be real... this is panning out just like the prior six seasons. The recent home-and-home with Philly proved to me that nothing has changed.

So, I heard that Sather will clean house if things are looking bad by the end of February. Let me preface this be saying I am not taking salaries into consideration, or what players would get the best return in a trade, or who plays on what line, or any other logical factors.... just who I would like to see go and who I want to stay. so here goes:

KEEPERS
  • Forwards
  • Jaromir Jagr - scoring machine wherever he plays
  • Bobby Holik - This guy gives it hell every night, is having a good season. Openly fustrated that his team sucks... we need more guys take the game to heart and wear emotions on their sleeves.
  • Martin Rucinsky - one of the few bright spots this year
  • Eric Lindros - Although he'll probably retire, he was playing great in recent months.
  • Matt Barnaby - Great 3rd or 4th line role player, gives you a bit of everthing. Team pest.
  • Chris Simon - Making real contributions this season and not just with his fists. Necessary to the team as enforcer.
  • Jamie Lundmark - Supposed future top NHL forward, every other team wants him so there must be something to it.
  • Jed Ortmeyer - good 'soldier'... scrappy role player, plays hard.
  • Dan LaCouture - Tough guy who plays hard, another good role player
  • Defensemen
  • Brian Leetch - nuff said. If the ankles hold up he still has a few all-star seasons in his future. Rangers always fall apart without him.
  • Boris Mironov - I like him - plays a tough game.
  • Greg DeVries - Superb acquistion last summer, in the mold of Leetch but bigger stronger and tougher, although not quite as gifted, but very few are.
  • Darius Kasparitis - had a tough time when he first joined the Rangers... but I think he's more than made up for it by now.
ALL ABOARD! FOR THE EXPRESS TRAIN OUT OF TOWN
  • Forwards
  • Alex Kovalev - For some reason whenever he's on the Rangers, his skills disappear. Now let's see him disappear... again.
  • Petr Nedved - He has improved his game the last few years to his credit, and plays hard, but let's get a guy in there who can score AND skate.
  • Jan Hlavac - seems to have lost it... 16 points and -10 this year in 51 games.
  • Defensemen
  • Vladimir Malakhov - for a guy of his size, strength, and WICKED slapshot, he underachieves.
  • Tom Poti - Big guy, nice long reach, and provides offense... but he can also be a defensive liability, and that's not good for a defensemen.
  • Joel Bouchard - eh... we can do better.
  • Dale Purinton - I'm not a big Dale fan after the recent nonsense with Cairns, He hasn't proved he's a top 6 defensemen. He's a great guy and sticks up for his teamates in fights (when he feels like it), but I suppose it's best to grant his wish of playing for a team where he will be a regular starter. (If he does wind up staying, I'll be happy for that too as long as there's room for him to play every night, and he fights when challenged... let's face it he didn't make the NHL for his quick hands or blinding speed)
  • Jamie Pushor - since being aquired: 0 points and -5. Maybe he should be de-quired.
LAST BUT NEVER LEAST
  • The Captain, Mark Messier - He'll always be a legend in Rangers history, the fans will never forget what he achieved, but he's now just a shell of that warrior who joined the Rangers in 91/92. He passed Howe, now it's time to pass the torch to the young guys. You'll be missed.
So that's that, based on what I've seen this year. I left out Goaltenders because I think it's pretty obvious they need to pick up a legitimate #1 in the off-season. Markannen gone

These are just my humble opinions folks - I don't profess to know it all. Feel free to correct me :)

[Edit] Revised my Dale Purinton summary 2/27/04[/edit]

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WoW!!!
I gave it a whole week and not one single response... apparently I am the last person in the world willing to even waste time typing a few comments about this horrible team. What a sorry state of affairs.

Well there's rumors that the Rangers are looking to sell off a lot of these losers before the deadline. I'll drink to that.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Matt,

just prove someone is paying attention. I happen to agree with much of your assessment. About 2 years ago I would have given Sather the benefit of the doubt, allow him to put a system in place, draft well, develope talent etc. Yes there have been key injuries but come on, some of those underachieving forwards need to go. For the life of me I have never understood Petr Nedved, saw him as a promising rookie here in Vancouver, he wanted to be in the big apple but I don't really think he has anything to show for his career. One of the great could have beens IMO.

·
Registered
244 Posts
KB in Kelowna said:
I have never understood Petr Nedved, saw him as a promising rookie here in Vancouver, he wanted to be in the big apple but I don't really think he has anything to show for his career.
Well he has that hot girlfriend. :D

As for the Rangers themselves, if they can get picks and/or prospects for some of these guys and avoid eating some of these salaries then you can consider that a success. Actually if this is the year they finall sell rather than buy and begin to rebuild the franchise for the future rather than now, consider the whole year a success to some extent. They shouldve been dismantled years ago. Had they done so maybe 3 years ago when Sather came in, they might not be in the position they are now.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally feel bad for Sather right now, the Ranger home crowd can get pretty nasty, If you've ever been to a Ranger game when the fans are extra pissed (more than usual) then you know what I'm talking about. He's the target now, and he should take much of the blame. But I don't think he has Full control. He does have a boss, and I believe that boss has a significant say in who should be signed or traded. But Sather's the one who has to take full public blame. That's my theory anyway. I feel bad for anybody that has to stand there taking public abuse every night.

But for some reason the person who gets the focus of the Ranger fans wrath usually follows up with a better season. Two years ago it was Nedved, booed loudly every time he touched the puck... by his OWN fans. The next year to his credit he really turned it around and won the fans back (although I still want him gone - couldn't agree more KB I am so sick of watching Nedved play).

Then last year it was Lindros who was the "boo" villian... he followed up this year with MUCH better play until the concussion.

SO it stands to reason with Sather being crucified each night at the garden this year, that next year he'll get it right and improve this team, and give us something to cheer about... if he's still around.

Syxball - I think your right the Rangers can grab a bunch of prospects and picks by the deadline... unfortunately I have a feeling we might see one of the most beloved Ranger, Brian Leetch, pack his bags for a new town. I would hate to see that happen but business is business, and I would reckon there's more than a few teams who would pay a hefty price to have Leetch on their play-off run. (and keep rivals from signing him at the same time)

I also heard Kovalev is for sale as a playoff rental... who would take him is beyond me, but maybe they remember that he has enjoyed great success at certain times in his career.

Well thanks for listening guys. :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I originated this thread - I just ran down a list of guys who have played at least 10 games for the rangers this season, and made my wish list of stay or go...

Now that the Rangers are in fire-sale mode, if for no other reason than my own amusement, and as long as nobody else minds I am going to keep this list active but Hi-lite in red font the players that have actually been moved. Just to compare the results.

After listening to ScumWAN's radio link - it seems a LOT more rangers will be traded than originally thought. So I'll track them here.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
That's a pretty good assessment of your team there Matt. With the new younger acquisitions, I hope , given a chance, that some can find their place in the line-up next year. As long as they don't fill the team with free agents again!

IMO, what recked the Rangers was the trade for Bure. Then Lindros, and now Jagr. Don't get me wrong, all three guys are extremely talented and can put-up very impressive offensive numbers. But all three have been cancers everywhere they played. They are bigger than the team and have caused a lot of trouble on every team they've played on. Just look at their track record!

Bure became a disaster in Vancouver, then in Florida. Lindros didn't want to play for the junior team who drafted him, then didn't want to play for Quebec, then went to Philadelphia and we all know what happened with Clarke, and now the Rangers. Jagr was the beginning of the end for Pittsburgh, wanted out and went to Washington, and we know the story there, and now the Rangers... Charactor and chemistry are just as important as talent on a team.

·
Registered
345 Posts
We are going to have 3 lines next year. One with Holik, One with Jagr, and one with Ortmeyer. Everyone else will be gone. According to the WFAN's interview that I posted everyone else you have on your go/stay list should be out of here. Heh it's like Sather is playing a Video Game with all of these trades. Not for nothing though he is getting good stuff back in my opinion. Like any trade time will tell.

·
Hockeyforum Legend
2,960 Posts
Interesting list Matt...

the sad thing is, I think the Rangers would be in contention if they picked Cujo off waivers when he was available.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
It seems Sather is answering your question.

With Kovalev, Nedved, Markkanen, and Leetch all gone, this team is letting them all go.

Wouldn' t blame them though, the chemistry wasn't there and the very little desire to work to win but watch their paycheck fill in instead was just too big a burden for others (who cared) to carry.

Disfunction in the lockeroom (so they say).

Glen Sather still throwing out money.

It came back to bite them in the butt in the end.

I think it's a good thing that they're starting all over again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think it's a good move to start all over. With the young players they will get to develope together with the assistance of some veterans, and I think they'll become a pretty decent team over time. But for a while it's still going to be an uphill climb to boost their own confidence and gain some respect again, especially with Sather still in the works. Hopefully they'll find some chemistry by the pre-season games.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just read some stuff about De Vries, which leads me to believe that he will definitly gone.

1)I guess I missed it but he has been quoted as saying he does not wish to stay with the Rangers because when he signed, he thought he was joining a different situation than the one he found himself in. (either dislikes the organization or doesn't want any part of rebuilding program or both)

2)He probably has one of the better return values of all the remaining guys that the Rangers are looking to deal. (Rucinshy's up there too, because he had a great year on a bad team. His value hasn't been this high in years... so the rags might decide to keep him for next year's nucleus but I think he may be out the door too)

3) His contract is front end loaded, which means he made 4 Mill this year, but that will decrease annually over the next 4 years, ending up at like 2.7 Mill. That surely makes him more attractive, to more teams.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with you Matt that Martin Rucinsky and Greg De Vries both will get you some value back, but I wouldn't be so surprised if at the very least the Rangers still hold onto De Vries. He is a very solid player, not really that old (31) and would be a really good start at trying to over haul the blue line. The Rangers are in a serious rebuilding role, but they have to have some vets to show the kids coming in how to play and what the NHL is really all about on a day to day basis. It would really be a shame if he does want out, because his experience would be a great help with the youth movement.

Rucinsky on the other hand I would deal for some more youth and/or picks. Give guys like Ortmeyer (who I think could be a pretty good player) and Lundmark more time out on the ice, as well as a look at who else you have in the system.

Likewise, I would definitely deal Messier if you could get some value back. Face it, that swan song he has been singing has to be getting close to the end, so getting a little value back for him will only help this team, which is not going to compete for a little while.

Finally, too bad you guys didn't get some return for the big E. For all the abuse that he has taken over the past few years (both here in Philly and there in NYC), I do remember when he was the most impact player in the league. Unfortunately that trade will still continue to hurt you, as Kim Johnsson has become perhaps the best d'man for the Flyers and Pavel Brendl turned into Sami Kapanen for us. Jan Hlavac was a wash in that deal since he has found his way back to New York. Now because of his latest boo boo you can't even get a bag of pucks for him, and most likely he will be gone at the end of the year.

It is going to be a long road for you fans up there, but I remember not so long ago we here in Philly were in the same spot (rebuilding) after trading just about everyone of value for none other then Mr. Lindros.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You make some good points solstir, I want De Vries to stay, but if what I read was true and he wants to go play elsewhere.... then it's a better move to get some value back for him now, rather than keep a disgruntled man on the roster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts