Votes: 25 92.6%
  • No, they should leave the schedule the way it is

Votes: 2 7.4%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the NHL change the schedule so fans can see a variety of more teams from different conferences or leave the schedule the way it is?

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I voted yes because I would like to see teams from different Conferences play each other more often. I really hate that every team in the NHL doesnt get to play 5 other teams at all in the entire year. They should have to play each team in a different conference at least once but twice a year would be better.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
YES!!! Enough crap, put it back to where each team plays each at least once a year!!!

This schedule just sucks!!!:thumbsdow But what would you expect from a guy who doesn't know anything about the NHL or it's history!!!:cheeky4:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Yes, make the East and West more invovled with the opposite conference more

·
Registered
903 Posts
For sure. I would rather watch the habs play some more western conference teams instead of the same team in the eastern conference 8 times a year.

·
Banned
961 Posts
Schedule

Alot of hockey fans here in detroit want to see the original 6 teams more often than teams like columbus and nashville. and also i dont like the idea of the stanley cup finals being played in June. the season is way to long.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Yes! :mad:

I can't believe the league has gone this bad in terms ove scheduling. Every team should be able to play every other team at least once a year.

As far as original 6 teams go, I'd want the Leafs to play the Red Wings and Blackhawks at least twice a year, once at each building. This league should continue to attempt to pull away from traditional roots in a game that is rooted so deeply in tradition. They're trying to do it time and time again, but they don't seem to understand.

I'd also want a huge cut down on the amount of divisional games. Toronto and Buffalo just played their 4th of 8 games this year, and now instead of preparing for the final meeting, they're only at the halfway point after playing some very entertaining Hockey. :dunno:

Divisional teams should only face each other 5 time MAXIMUM in my opinion, like how it was in 2002. The rivalry stay much fresher that way.

And I want to see the Leafs play the always contending Stars, the likeable Sharks (at least, I like them), Gretzky's Coyotes, the 1st place in the Western Conference Anahaim Ducks, and the Kings again. I also want the Western Canadian roadtrip and homestand back.

I mean, is 8 games against 1 team really what the fans want? Are 32 games against just 4 teams what is going to help the league? Are we getting so many new rivalries? Are we getting enough variety?

I don't think so. :thumbsdow This is ridiculous! :mad:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Yes, of the options being floated around the league I think the second option, where the sch goes back to pre-lockout format is the best.

The first one is too radical and I don't like the idea of eight teams in one division. The third wouldn't be horrible as you'd get a little more variety.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I understand building the division rivalries but I think it should be changed a little. In my opinion, it is stupid that some fans don't even have a chance to see teams/players from the opposite conference.

As a Canadiens fan living in Minnesota I go to some Wild games every year but am disappointed this year that I don't even have the opportunity to see the Habs play.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Joe Solak said:
I understand building the division rivalries but I think it should be changed a little. In my opinion, it is stupid that some fans don't even have a chance to see teams/players from the opposite conference.

As a Canadiens fan living in Minnesota I go to some Wild games every year but am disappointed this year that I don't even have the opportunity to see the Habs play.
In the third option teams would play teams in their division seven times and 14 games (almost every team) against the other opposite conference.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm a Detroit fan and it would be nice to play Montreal, Toronto, Boston, and the Rangers like we used to. Remember these teams???? They are the NHL. Not the small market lukewarms that are completely catered to by the NHL. The NHL is dying and it is because of the small market lukewarms. Nice all star ratings. Looks like the lukewarm fans didn't show up. Detroit fans are consistantly there. I'm sure Montreal and Toronto's as well. The original six should all be in the same division.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I realize I'm the only person who clicked no, but that's because I really don't want to see the Devils traveling all over the western half the country and Canada to play teams I personally don't care about. I understand the West's desire to see the Eastern teams, but I don't think much of the East has the same desire. I could care less about Columbus, you know? No offense to Blue Jackets fans either.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Devils_Fan said:
I realize I'm the only person who clicked no, but that's because I really don't want to see the Devils traveling all over the western half the country and Canada to play teams I personally don't care about. I understand the West's desire to see the Eastern teams, but I don't think much of the East has the same desire. I could care less about Columbus, you know? No offense to Blue Jackets fans either.
You don't have any interest in seeing the good teams either? What the Ducks or Stars? Detroit or Colorado? Both have a good recent history with the team and ya'll should be rivals.

Columbus I could understand but why would you deny yourself a chance to watch a great battle like Luongo vs Marty? I mean I know the Devils have it easy in the Atlantic and as long as they play the other garbage teams in their division eight times they've got home ice advantage in the playoffs but you're missing out on Joe Thorton, Iggy, Havlat or guys like Sakic that won't be in the league forever.

?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I also voted yes. I understand the reason for the current schedule is to build rivalries, but I think it has made the rivalries less intense. There isn't as much anticipation for the next big battle in your own division because your playing the same team 8 times.

I agree that every team should see each other at least once a year. And who cares about travel? Alot of these teams out East are whinning because they have to travel out West. The West is always travelling long distance, even when they are in their own conference. Besides, its not like travelling takes that much of a toll on them. If they want to cry about it, go back to the juniors and see what hard travelling is all about.

·
Registered
43 Posts
shookem said:
You don't have any interest in seeing the good teams either? What the Ducks or Stars? Detroit or Colorado? Both have a good recent history with the team and ya'll should be rivals.

Columbus I could understand but why would you deny yourself a chance to watch a great battle like Luongo vs Marty? I mean I know the Devils have it easy in the Atlantic and as long as they play the other garbage teams in their division eight times they've got home ice advantage in the playoffs but you're missing out on Joe Thorton, Iggy, Havlat or guys like Sakic that won't be in the league forever.

?
Actually, no. Of course I realize there are great players on Western teams, but I can't get fired up for the Devils to play the Ducks or Canucks. I have no personal interest in those teams and even if I did see each of them once a year, that certainly wouldn't build any rivalry between us and them.

shady82 said:
I agree that every team should see each other at least once a year. And who cares about travel? Alot of these teams out East are whinning because they have to travel out West. The West is always travelling long distance, even when they are in their own conference. Besides, its not like travelling takes that much of a toll on them. If they want to cry about it, go back to the juniors and see what hard travelling is all about.
Of course the East is upset about it. They have it made as far as traveling is concerned. The West whines about having to travel too much within their own divisions, whereas for the Devils, the only real travel in their own division is Pittsburgh and it's like an hour by plane. Traveling most certainly takes a toll on them when it's travel to say, Los Angeles from NJ. Traveling to Detroit or Chicago might not, but asking the Panthers to travel to Vancouver or vice versa, is a huge pain in the ass, let alone a big expense... and really, unless there's a superstar on the visiting team, who in that market is going to rush out to buy tickets to see the Panthers? I prefer it the way it is as far as East/West. They host one division; they travel to one division and they leave one alone on a rotating basis. The only part of it I'd change is the 8 games against your own division. I'm a little sick of seeing the rest of the Atlantic, but I'd rather see those games broken up within the Conference.

And I mean no offense at all to fans of Western teams. I think local rivalries are more intense in the East, which is why we're probably less willing to give up some of those games for games where there is no rivalry. I know some Western rivalries are intense, but when the teams are that far apart, how much fan rivalry is there really? Our division is probably the closest as far as travel, and the rivalries are big. You need extra security at a Devils/Flyers game. Do you really need that at a Ducks/Canucks game? They don't live near each other. I don't know. Whatever I say won't change anything the idiot in charge does anyway.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
C'mon, nothing for the Ducks? The Devils played them in the Cup just a few years ago. Detroit and Colorado? Both teams that have had their go at New Jersey. Nothing there either?

·
Registered
43 Posts
shookem said:
C'mon, nothing for the Ducks? The Devils played them in the Cup just a few years ago. Detroit and Colorado? Both teams that have had their go at New Jersey. Nothing there either?
Okay, I suppose there's a little something for the teams we personally have met in the Cup, but we only lost to one of them (CO) and it's been at least 4 seasons since the last one with the Ducks. I used to get all fired up when we played the Wings, but it's been so long since 95 and very few of those players are still playing, let alone for the teams they played with back then. I don't know. I have Center Ice, so I watch the Western teams a fair amount, but if I'm going to go to a Devils game, the Western teams are not the teams I'm going to see. Coincidentally, those are the games the Devils usually have ticket reductions and sales for, because of their unpopularity.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts