Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching hockey for a few years now, but I have never actually played. However ive been thinking about starting next year at my school (as a sophomore). i'm pretty skinny which is probably the real reason why ive never played before. Should i try it out? or should i just work on my own/out of school league, and get bigger and start junior year? constructive criticism please.
(i run cross country in the fall and play lax in the spring, idk if that will help to prepare for hockey in any way)
thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was the same way. I've watched Hockey for years! I decided that I wanted to learn. I haven't regretted a thing! I'd say try out for the high school team, if you don't make it, you can always play in a league out in town. Best case, you make the team and get coached along the way. Worst case, you learn on your own. Either way, you'll be playing hockey! That's a win-win!!

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Hey man, I am someone who also loves to watch hockey and has never played a day of organized ice hockey. I would say yopu should start working on your own now and try out for the team, the worst thing they can do is cut you. And if they do keep working and show up to captains practices and what not in the off season.

If you are athletic I think you should be able to make the team by the time you are a junior if not by next year. Because I have been playing roller hockey for two years and I play pick up games with the best kids on my high school team and some kids that play at the local community college and if you were to stroll by and watch you wouldn't be able to pick me out of the crowd as being worse than those guys. Not to say I'm half as good as them but I can at least blend in. I think you'll pick it up and you'll do just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts