Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shanny was back on the ice today practicing with the Rangers. His Photo's have also been put back up in the Garden. Look for the official announcment next week that he has resigned with the Rangers.

Rangers Report
Admittedly, the Brendan Shanahan appearance sort of took priority today—to the extent that I failed to mention that Marek Malik was also back and looking quite svelte.

Easy. I’m kidding. Put. Down. The. Knife.

But seriously, a couple of other things worth noting:

·
Registered
987 Posts
Another sign that whoever sits in the Ranger GM office is a victim of "Spock's Brain". There is a helmet that drops down from the ceiling and replaces the GM's brain with a special Ranger GM brain that signs or worse - trades for over-the-hill veterans so the team can squeak into the playoffs and lose. Shanahan did great things two years ago but his time is up.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Another sign that whoever sits in the Ranger GM office is a victim of "Spock's Brain". There is a helmet that drops down from the ceiling and replaces the GM's brain with a special Ranger GM brain that signs or worse - trades for over-the-hill veterans so the team can squeak into the playoffs and lose. Shanahan did great things two years ago but his time is up.
Still he had the second most goals on the Rangers with a bum knee for half the season. Plus he will add 4-5 wins alone in the shootouts. If he takes a 3rd line role for say 2 mill i would go for it. Plus he is a good leader for the kids.

How many players turn down offers from other teams to stay with the Rangers. Its not like sather is the only GM who wanted shanny.

Anyway i can see shanny coming back only if say some of the kids are not ready. Thats also prob a reason he is not signed.

And to say the NHL'S 4TH youngest team by age is so over the hill with the vetrans is an understatment. Maybe past but not this season.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Shanahan couldn't even score in shootouts by the end of the season. You could tell that his once great hand speed was declining.

Shanahan is not a third line player. Your third line is usually your best defensive line matched against the best offensive line of the other team. At his age, Shanahan can't chase Ovechkin all over the ice for 30 minutes. Yes he's smart defensively and kills penalties, but that's getting the puck out of your zone and going of for a change.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shanahan couldn't even score in shootouts by the end of the season. You could tell that his once great hand speed was declining.

Shanahan is not a third line player. Your third line is usually your best defensive line matched against the best offensive line of the other team. At his age, Shanahan can't chase Ovechkin all over the ice for 30 minutes. Yes he's smart defensively and kills penalties, but that's getting the puck out of your zone and going of for a change.
3rd lines never get 30 mins a game so not a lot of truth to that nor do they get over 20 much.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because I saw the way that he played last year. I don't dislike Shanahan. He's a great player, leader, and unanimous first ballot hall-of-famer. But he's through. It's mid September and nobody's beating a path to his door.
Several teams had much interest but Shanny had his agent instruct those teams he interest remained only with the Rangers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts