Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Sports Network) - The Ottawa Senators seek their third consecutive win tonight when they host the Toronto Maple Leafs in the finale of a home-and- home at Scotiabank Place.

On Tuesday, Martin Gerber stopped 37 shots and six different players scored for the Senators in a 6-2 victory over the Maple Leafs at Air Canada Centre.

Mike Fisher, Andrej Meszaros, Patrick Eaves, Antoine Vermette, Dany Heatley and Chris Neil each scored and had an assist for the Senators, who have won three of their last four contests overall.

Gerber was stellar in the victory, making 18 saves in the second period and 14 in the third en route to his second win of the season.

The Senators, who struggled offensively to begin the season, have erupted over the past two games. They have tallied a whopping 14 goals in the last two matches.

Ottawa will visit Boston on Saturday.

Matt Stajan and Mats Sundin tallied for the Maple Leafs, who have lost two straight and finished 0-for-6 on the power play.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ottawa - 6 - Toronto - 2
1 Minute & 50 Seconds left in the second.

And there have been 5 goal posts in the second period alone, by Ottawa!!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
I hope Toronto is prepared to play Hockey, and not go chasing after players just to drop gloves.

Usually when something like this happens and something like this is said/implied, Toronto usually loses their concentration on the game itself and get blown out by Ottawa.

I'm hoping that it doesn't happen again tonight, but it doesn't look good.
Well, I don't know about chasing players on the ice, but they got the part about being blown out right. :(

I don't know. It looks like things might be different every year, but they seem to follow the same trend continually, year after year. The last 4-5 have been especially frustrating in that they don't seem to want to change the suit they're in.

I hate when patterns like this are able to be picked out with the team I support, year, after year, after year.

What happened to the team I saw start the season? They seem to be falling back into a shell of their former selves...

again.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
Well, I don't know about chasing players on the ice, but they got the part about being blown out right. :(

I don't know. It looks like things might be different every year, but they seem to follow the same trend continually, year after year. The last 4-5 have been especially frustrating in that they don't seem to want to change the suit they're in.

I hate when patterns like this are able to be picked out with the team I support, year, after year, after year.

What happened to the team I saw start the season? They seem to be falling back into a shell of their former selves...

again.
I hear ya!!

It's like they played well until Sundin got his 500th, then all the wheels fell off!! I don't think they won a game since then, have they?

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
panoo2004 said:
I hear ya!!

It's like they played well until Sundin got his 500th, then all the wheels fell off!! I don't think they won a game since then, have they?
They won 1 in Columbus a week ago, before losing 3 in a row afterwards.

I mean, I know I'm criticised many times for going into every season with scepticism, but really: Am I wrong? There are players who don't deserve to even be in the NHL, yet they still have a regular spot in the Toronto line-upsaved for them. There are d-men that continally make the sames mistake repeatedly, like Bryan McCabe. He just doesn't want to stay in front of the net, and for a so-called "Physical defenceman", he's hardly ever at all physical... at least, not to my knowledge. Am I really wrong to think that with him being a defenceman, that his weak defencive skills are hurting the team (and will continue to hurt them) a lot mmore than his inconsistent offencive sills can ever help?

When ever a line is hot, it get's broken up. As much as Paul Maurice has been in improvement over Pat Quinn so far, what is the reasoning behind Tucker being moved down with Peca and Kilger to the 3rd line after showing for the umpteenth time (since Pat Quinn's tenure) that he's got enough skill to compliment the 1st line? And in place of Steen? I like Steen. I even got an image of his sweater in my sig. But he's been struggling, a lot. And hasn't only gotten worse when moved on to the top line, he should have stayed with Peca and Kilger, since it was only 8 games in to the season and he was still doing okay. How is Wade Belak in the line-up instead of Jay Harrison? Can he do any worse? How can Belak be considered ahead of John Pohl, and Aleksander Suglobov? Suglobov is "weak on the backcheck"? What?! So Belak is better? What is so right about this? Why continue to do what it's pretty clear that the team should not do? :dunno:

And what does Ondrus do rather than "bring energy" to the team? He can't play well at any end of the ice, he can't seem to even throw a proper hit.

Anyway to stay on topic (not that I'm really veering off too far in the 1st place):

Joe Corvo is a good d-man; Love him. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
They won 1 in Columbus a week ago, before losing 3 in a row afterwards.

I mean, I know I'm criticised many times for going into every season with scepticism, but really: Am I wrong? There are players who don't deserve to even be in the NHL, yet they still have a regular spot in the Toronto line-upsaved for them. There are d-men that continally make the sames mistake repeatedly, like Bryan McCabe. He just doesn't want to stay in front of the net, and for a so-called "Physical defenceman", he's hardly ever at all physical... at least, not to my knowledge. Am I really wrong to think that with him being a defenceman, that his weak defencive skills are hurting the team (and will continue to hurt them) a lot mmore than his inconsistent offencive sills can ever help?

When ever a line is hot, it get's broken up. As much as Paul Maurice has been in improvement over Pat Quinn so far, what is the reasoning behind Tucker being moved down with Peca and Kilger to the 3rd line after showing for the umpteenth time (since Pat Quinn's tenure) that he's got enough skill to compliment the 1st line? And in place of Steen? I like Steen. I even got an image of his sweater in my sig. But he's been struggling, a lot. And hasn't only gotten worse when moved on to the top line, he should have stayed with Peca and Kilger, since it was only 8 games in to the season and he was still doing okay. How is Wade Belak in the line-up instead of Jay Harrison? Can he do any worse? How can Belak be considered ahead of John Pohl, and Aleksander Suglobov? Suglobov is "weak on the backcheck"? What?! So Belak is better? What is so right about this? Why continue to do what it's pretty clear that the team should not do? :dunno:

And what does Ondrus do rather than "bring energy" to the team? He can't play well at any end of the ice, he can't seem to even throw a proper hit.

Anyway to stay on topic (not that I'm really veering off too far in the 1st place):

Joe Corvo is a good d-man; Love him. :thumbsup:
Well, first off, McCabe is an idiot!!! No other word for him!!!

Just think, your stuck with this guy for the next 5 years!!! They can't get rid of him, it's written in his contract!!

5 VERY LONG YEARS!!!! $28.15 MILLION DOLLARS!!!! What a joke!!! JFJ should have been fired on this contract alone!!! The guy is just a big bag of wind, and a waste of space, he spends most of his time in the penalty box as well!!! He is good for one reason only, and that's a shot from the point on the power-play, and THAT'S IT!!

As far as Belak, well, he was never that great a player to begin with, but Toronto doesn't see that in players, they think because they're Toronto, everybody wants to play for them, I mean here's his career totals:

GP - G - A - Pts - PIM
330 - 7 - 18 - 25 - 920

And that's 10 years in the league, thank god, he's only $675,000. this year!!

Then there's Antropov, at $1.007 million, that's another joke!! His career stats are just as bad as Belak's, and he's 6 years playing with the Leafs, yes he's big, 6'6", but that's all he has going for him!! He was supposed to be their #1 center, when he came up to the big team!! Their still waiting!!!

GP - G - A - Pts - PIM
320 - 60 - 96 - 156 - 317

And Tucker, well, my guess is, that he and Sundin, or, he and Maurice, don't get along? That's only my opinion. Tucker is a loose cannon out there, you never know what he's going to do, isn't it funny how he can be like this big tough guy at home, but look how he was on Thursday in Ottawa. I'm sure he was just waiting for Neil or McGrattan to go after him, he didn't look to comfortable, that's for sure!!

I have no idea why Maurice would play Tucker, Peca & Kilger on the same line, your looking at the same type of players, just in different skin?

Toronto builds their teams like Philly does, but they better get their act together, because the days of the Broad Street Bullies are over!!! They go after the biggest guys, for the biggest bucks, but they can't skate, and they certainly can't compete, they get injured WAY to easily, and then their gone for however long, what's the good in that? They also go for the big names, because they think that's what the fans want, Lindros comes to mind!!

The team can't have too many young guys with energy, because the old guys can't keep up, and it makes the old guys look bad, so they have to keep the young ones down below!!

They also have the mind set, it doesn't matter what we do, BECAUSE OUR FANS ARE LOYAL!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on like that!! But they are such an arrogant team, yet they have nothing to offer the fans!!

Mind you, if they were the last Canadian team standing, boy, I'm right behind them, all the way to the end!! :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts