Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
10/11/2006 12:43:35 PM

The Ottawa Senators will change things up a bit for their game on Thursday against the Calgary Flames, giving goaltender Ray Emery his first start of the season.

Emery, who signed a one-year, $925,000 contract with the Senators over the summer, had a 23-11-4 record with last year with a .902 save percentage and a 2.82 goals-against average.

In ten playoff games with Ottawa, he was 5-5 with a .900 save percentage and a 2.88 goals-against average.

With No. 1 netminder Martin Gerber in goal, the Senators have stuggled out of the gate in its first three games with a 1-2 record.

However, head coach Bryan Murray was quick to dispel any notions of an early goaltending controversy.

COMPLETE ARTICLE

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
hattrick44 said:
Look for razer to have a great game he wants the no.1 job and he will do anything he can
For sure, and I wouldn't blame him if he felt a little ripped off after having his job taken from him.

What if he does do well? Do you give him the next start or do you have to go back to Gerber?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the media is making a *way* bigger deal out of this of what it actually is. Gerber barely has gotten the time to play with his new team as a full roster.

Gerber dosen't suck as badly as his numbers show. He'll get it together.
I think you should let him get his confidence, and just like Roloson last year with edmonton, be very patient(Could you imagine had Edmonton panicked after Roloson's slow start and pulled him for Markkanen instead during the regular season?). Emery should get a shot to play, but the number one job should remain as Gerber's in my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gerber will be the number 1 even if emery plays outstanding If emery dose get a second start Ottawa will just play him till he is no longer hot it could be 1 game it could be 10

Gerber is a great goalie and was the main reason that the Canes made the playoffs last year Right now he is just in a slump right now and he will get better soon

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
True, but let's not forget that this wouldn't be the first time Gerber lost his job to the younger back-up goalie.

I agree that Gerber is the number one guy and hasn't had nearly enough time to blend in with the team though. I'm just saying it'll make things interesting in Emery does have an outstanding night in net.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I agree as well.

If this was late in the season and Ottawa was making a late push for the playoffs after having an off-year, than they'd probably go with who's hot and sit who's not.

Seeing as we're only a week into the season and just starting out of the gates however, Gerber will likely still have the starting job. He was already named their #1 goalie before the season began, so the Sens will probably treat him as such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts