Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
11/10/2006 10:50:39 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Dany Heatley scored Ottawa's first and last goals and Jason Spezza added a goal and two assists, leading the Senators to a 6-3 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday night that ended the franchise's longest losing streak in 10 years.

The Senators had blown leads in each of their three previous games, but this time scored three consecutive goals after Penguins rookie Evgeni Malkin scored his eighth goal in 10 games - but first in four - to tie it at two about six minutes into the second period.

Andrej Meszaros, Wade Redden and Peter Schaefer - all infrequent scorers - scored the next three goals as Ottawa opened a 5-2 lead by early in the third. Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury got little defensive help as the Penguins again were outshot by a large margin in their fourth straight loss.

Meszaros' second goal of the season came on a slap shot from just inside the blue-line after a ricocheting puck bounced back to him after failing to be controlled by the Penguins around their net. Redden scored his first, and only Ottawa's second, power-play goal in 26 attempts on a similar shot, a hard wrist shot that Fleury may not have seen while being screened. Schaefer also scored his first of the season.

Heatley, the Senators' top goal-scorer, got his ninth on Redden's feed when Penguins defenceman Sergei Gonchar left him alone close to the net less than four minutes into the game. Heatley added his 10th of the season in the third period with about 5½ minutes remaining.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
94 Posts
Havlat said:
Finally! I was so happy with the Sens performance. Gerber played like an NHL goalie yesterday.:D
I think he looked average at best out there. Hopefully he'll find his game soon. Ottawa has played spectacular in their last couple of games as well, only to have Gerber let in a couple bad goals and take away the team confidence(Probably why the losing was so dissapointing).

I still believe in Gerber, though, and feel he will turn things around and find his top form just like Kiprusoff and Brodeur have this year. Once he does, there is no reason why Ottawa can't be a top 5 team in the nhl.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts