Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an Oilers fan you can imagine my disappointment with how the season is gone. People in Edmonton are really critical of our top paid players and the upset at just how much certain players have under-achieved this year.

One guy that of course comes to mind is Sean Horcoff. Its not secret that he contact the signed is not doing the Oilers any favors. He only has I think 11 goals and for 7 million a season, its pretty much a joke. What I just found out today is that he also has the 3rd worst plus/minus rating in the laegue at minus 26. I was thinking if you're not gonna score points for the team, at least try and play some defense and stop goals against your line but he can't even do that. I know the Oilers are dead last, sitting alone in the basment but I'm starting to think there is just a lack of effort and passion in certain players and the stats prove it.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
They can't buy him out though, who would they replace him with in the face off circle? thats one of the reasons he has such a bad -. He takes about 90% of the defensive face offs for the oilers, even with a 50-55% winning percentage when about 75% of you're face-offs are in the defensive zone that tends to lead to being on ice for lots of goals against. If they buy out Horc they have to keep 2.75 cap hi on the books for his salary, who do they get thats saves them 1.5-2m dollars thats a veteran face-off man?

He is over payed and alot he should be getting 3-3.5m maybe 4, but he had a good season and that tends to lead to over payment.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Mar 08
4,382 Posts
Shawn is a player that makes more money than he should because he is better than the average, but not quite an all-star.

What I find interesting, is that in his career, he has been on the ice 495 goals against (even strength) and 484 goals for (even strength) which makes him technically -11 all time even strength. Yet he is considered a strong 'two-way' player.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/horcosh01.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts