Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glen Sather is set to grant the Madison Square Garden faithful their wish. The New York Post reports Sather has decided to step down as head coach of the New York Rangers.

According to the newspaper, Sather met with Garden CEO Jim Dolan on Tuesday to discuss relinquishing his coaching duties. He will continue to be the team's president and general manager.

For the past month, Sather has been greeted by chants of "Fire Sather" by fans as the Rangers continue to struggle on the ice despite a league-high $70-million payroll. Dolan has come to the defence of Sather each time, saying he would remain behind the bench for the rest of the season. As late as last Tuesday, Sather said he had no intention of stepping down as head coach.

Assistants Tom Renney and Terry O'Reilly have been mentioned as likely replacements with Hartford Wolfpack general manager Jim Schoenfeld also being considered.

Sather is expected to make the official announcement prior to practice on Wednesday.

Whoever replaces Sather behind the bench will be the fourth coach in as many years since he assumed the general manager's reigns in New York, which has seen six coaching changes since they last qualified for the playoffs in 1996-97.

Since Sather replaced Bryan Trottier as coach of the Rangers 90 games ago, he has amassed a 33-39-11-7 record. With 20 games remaining in the season, the Rangers are in real danger of missing the playoffs for the seventh straight season.

The Rangers have won just four of their last 19 games and sit 14 points behind the rival New York Islanders for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
so it looks like Sather is finally going to step down. It's better to leave then to be fired.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just goes to show what an egomaniac Sather is, he waits until he has totally failed before stepping aside rather than doing a couple months ago when the Rangers still had a chance. I hope he's fired as GM before he trades away all his big guns for a bunch of marginal prospects.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Murph55 said:
Just goes to show what an egomaniac Sather is, he waits until he has totally failed before stepping aside rather than doing a couple months ago when the Rangers still had a chance. I hope he's fired as GM before he trades away all his big guns for a bunch of marginal prospects.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.
I think the only reason he coached the team this long is because no other sane person wants to coach this mess. but I doubt you'll see him get dismissed as GM, Dolan has always stood by him... at least publically.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The Rangers are a high priced, high profile (New York) team that has failed (so far anyway) miserably. Does this benefit the owners in their CBA battle with the players in any way? If so, it makes you wonder.

------------------

Apparently, neither the ex-coach nor GM is willing to accept blame for the teams' lack of success.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Sportsnet said:
Sather made it clear that the Rangers will explore all possible trade scenarios prior to the March 7 deadline, signalling the start of rebuilding phase for a franchise with the NHL's highest payroll -- including Jaromir Jagr, Mark Messier, Brian Leetch, Eric Lindros and Alexei Kovalev.

"There isn't anyone in the organization that has a no-trade in his contract, so I think when we get down to that stage we'll make some decisions," Sather said. "We're going to spend the next couple weeks evaluating where we're going to go and how we're going to get to where we decide to go. When the deadline comes around, you'll probably have an idea."
Complete article, here -> http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20040225_101510_3056

If Sather starts unloading all this high-priced talent you can bet Philly, Toronto and a few others are going to be at the door step.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The Rangers could benefit GREATLY if East Coast contenders like Philly, Toronto, New Jersey (and Boston? nah) start out-bidding eachother over guys like Brian Leetch and other quality veterans. They'll be fighting not just to sign the guy, but to stop conference rivals from getting that guy.

With Sather now fully dedicated to the GM duties, he could potentially put the Rangers in a good position for next season - if he plays it right. You could also see Western teams like Colorado, Detroit and Dallas lurking around for a deal. Maybe St. Louis if they right the ship in time for a nice playoff run.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not too sure Sather has all his marbles after this season, and I'm still not entirely comfortable with Sather going on being the GM. His reputation's been obliterated. I agree Murph55- Sather's done.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Randomfan said:
I'm not too sure Sather has all his marbles after this season, and I'm still not entirely comfortable with Sather going on being the GM. His reputation's been obliterated. I agree Murph55- Sather's done.
Still no talk about Sather being ousted just yet. I'm nervous about him calling the shots in the next few days. What he does could affect our team for years to come.

·
Registered
244 Posts
ScumWithANoose said:
Randomfan said:
Still no talk about Sather being ousted just yet. I'm nervous about him calling the shots in the next few days. What he does could affect our team for years to come.
<sarcasm>
Yeah well I mean, just NOW he is doing what he wants. The past 4 years of his tenure he has been handcuffed by all the bad moves Neil Smith did in his tenure. So now that Sather is doing what HE wants, things should get better.
</sarcasm>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts