Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well go figure, new proposed ownership group demands more money and concessions from city/state, city/state refuse, deal falls through. Wow who'd have seen that coming.:dunno: (typed as sarcastically as I can).
Note to Bettman, JIM BASSILLE HAS LOADS OF MONEY, LET HIM BUY THE TEAM AND MOVE IT TO WHERE IT WILL THRIVE!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
The Predators were never going to stay in Nashville, and the club has made no small effort to make sure that the move to Kansas City is a sure thing.

They said they would keep the team Nashville as long as there is a season ticket base of 14,200, and then promptly (after stripping the team apart) increased the price of tickets by 25%.

Over the last two years, Nashville fans have been asked to pay ticket prices that are higher 36% higher than they were before the lockout, and now they're supposed to shell it out for a team that will probably be weak.

Thank God the lockout lowered ticket prices like we were told that it would!

Daryl

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adsfan said:
Should they stay or should they go?
Note to Gary Bettman, no matter how hard you try, you can't MAKE people love hockey. They either do or they don't. Move the team to somewhere where the already love hockey.

·
Registered
237 Posts
nossagog said:
Note to Gary Bettman, no matter how hard you try, you can't MAKE people love hockey. They either do or they don't. Move the team to somewhere where the already love hockey.
I believe that people in Nashville love hockey. The problem has been the lack of corporate support in recent years. The Titans moving to town may have killed the Preds.

I think the Preds will move to KC, that is what Basketball Bettman and Boots want.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
First of all the Titans have been in Nashville longer than the Preds. Just they played the 97 seasons in Memphis because Vanderbilt Stadium was deemed too small. But as the Tennessee Oilers played the 98 season at Vanderbilt Stadium.

Second the officials in KC have now made it clear that they are no longer courting the NHL and won't apply for an expansion team if the expansion card is played. Instead they have an agreement in place to apply for an expansion NBA team when David Stern makes that decision.

Finally could this be the sign of the future???

Associated Press said:
NASHVILLE KATS-Announced the team has ceased operations.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie announced his continued interest Friday in buying the Nashville Predators, a move that could disrupt the intended sale to a group of local businessmen.

Balsillie, whose $220 million offer fell through earlier this year after he tried to move the team to Canada, now says he believes Nashville is a viable market for hockey, according to a letter sent to the Nashville Sports Authority by his spokesman.

However, current owner Craig Leipold is committed to completing the sale to the local investors. The local group put down a $10 million deposit in August on a $193 million offer and has until Oct. 31 to complete the sale.

FULL STORY
This could be interesting !!!

Maybe they will move the Preds to Canada and call them the Winnipeg Predators

lol

·
Premium Member
5,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HEEEEEEE'S BAAAAAAAAAAAACK!
Well Jim Balsille is once again interested in buying the Predators. Apparently he mis understood the market in the Nashville area and now knows better. One second while I go get my fishing boots on, because its getting pretty deep.

Well the local group has two more weeks left until the sale needs to be finalized, so I guess we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
949 Posts
i recalled Hartford being interested in an NHL team, back in the dark days of the penguins' future being doubtful.

might there be a return of that vomit inducing green and blue strip?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Rids said:
First of all the Titans have been in Nashville longer than the Preds. Just they played the 97 seasons in Memphis because Vanderbilt Stadium was deemed too small. But as the Tennessee Oilers played the 98 season at Vanderbilt Stadium.

Second the officials in KC have now made it clear that they are no longer courting the NHL and won't apply for an expansion team if the expansion card is played. Instead they have an agreement in place to apply for an expansion NBA team when David Stern makes that decision.

Finally could this be the sign of the future???
You are correct in the sense that the Preds first game was on Oct 10, 1998, so the Nashville football team played a game a whole month before NHL hockey started. You are wrong in that my point was lost on you. If you re-read my posting I didn't say who was first. I said that "the Titans moving to town may have killed the Preds." Football is much more popular in the South than hockey. It will probably always be that way. The local companies are supporting the Titans more than the Preds, this works against the Preds as some of the support they had is shifting away from them.

The NHL is not expanding to KC. There will be a relocation or nothing for KC. The NHL is having trouble with supporting 30 teams, 32 teams would be 2 more in trouble.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Ticketmaster Hamilton Preds site still up
The Canadian Press
10/15/2007 9:07:33 PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Jim Balsillie's US$220-million offer for the Nashville Predators fell through in June after he started taking season ticket deposits in Hamilton.

On the Internet, however, fans still can put down a deposit for the "Hamilton Predators."

FULL STORY
Just sell the team to Balsillie, then move the team to Hamilton or Winnipeg, and get it over with, enough is enough with this crap.

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Dec 07
1,037 Posts
This thing could give Greek trageties a run for their money with it's twists and turn. All we need is a fool pulling the strings.

Oh wait....

And I'll echo the calls for jsut sell it to the guy that makes the best deal. Don't they value capatalism down there? From how it sound with ticket prices, they're trying everything in their power to tank fan interest in that area.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I heard that Craig L has extended the deadline for the local group to purchase the Preds. I guess that they can't come up with the money. Maybe Balsillie will try to buy them for more money again.

The Preds keep losing games. They called up the Admirals leading scorer and played him one shift in the game. How stupid can you get Trotz??? That junk hurts both teams.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
The NHL is not expanding to KC. There will be a relocation or nothing for KC. The NHL is having trouble with supporting 30 teams, 32 teams would be 2 more in trouble.
2 more in trouble (both player and marketwise) doesn't make sense to us but 2 more with the expansion money that follows makes sense to the 30 existing owners. Not sure what the new price tag would be but it would at least be in the $150 million range per team. So with two teams that's an easy 10 million per existing team for free. How many of these owners would jump at that chance?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts