Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darcy Regier can remove the cell phone from his ear for the time being because the Buffalo Sabres GM can't afford to trade a goalie now that Ryan Miller is gone six to eight weeks.

"You never say never but I think we're going to need both these guys to play well," Regier said from Buffalo on Friday evening. "(Martin) Biron is certainly capable of being a solid NHL goaltender, as is (Mika) Noronen.

"I expect Marty is going to play the bulk of the games but Mika will have an opportunity as well."

Regier insists, despite all the rumours, that nothing serious was in the works involving either Biron or Noronen before Miller broke his right thumb in practice Wednesday. Miller had surgery Friday to insert screws in the thumb.

"There wasn't anything close," Regier said of trade talks.

And it's not because he refused to trade within the Eastern Conference, another rumour Regier shot down.

"That's not true. It's a value judgment, if you get the right player and he can help your team, I don't think you can be picky about whether it's in your conference or not."

Regier actually has four NHL goalies in his stable after picking up former Chicago Blackhawks backup Michael Leighton off waivers on the eve of the season. He's playing for Buffalo's AHL farm team in Rochester and was part of the plan for when either Biron or Noronen were dealt, which will still likely happen at some point later this season after Miller returns and re-establishes himself.

"The thing that we wanted to make sure, and still want to make sure on, is `let's make sure we take care of our own situation first,' and then once we've taken that decision we can move on a secondary decision which is going to certainly involve a trade, I expect, at some point in time," Regier said.

"And that's where Leighton comes in to make sure we have someone in the minors. We needed a guy in Rochester and wanted someone with some upside who had NHL experience."

Regier understands why all the rumours started. He was carrying three goalies on his NHL roster and consequently scouts from other NHL teams began to flood his press box.

"It is amazing," Regier said. "There has been a lot of people at our games. Not all of them are calling though. I guess it's probably goaltender-related but maybe more tire-kicking and curiosity than anything else."
from:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=141984&hubname=nhl
well well, now where is oilers and thrasher will get their goaile from :haha:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts