Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite what i wanted, or what people are saying, Buffalo deserved this. They wanted it, worked for it and took it. Ottawa stood by watching, a real shame.
I had been rooting for them and thats all gone. NM the countless vBookie points i through away betting on them :laugh:

Ottawa, ON (Sports Network) - Jason Pominville scored short-handed 2:26 into overtime as the Buffalo Sabres moved into the Eastern Conference finals with a 3-2 win over the Ottawa Senators in Game 5 of their conference semifinal series at Scotiabank Place.

Henrik Tallinder and Chris Drury also scored for the Sabres, who now await the winner of the New Jersey/Carolina series for the right to play for the Stanley Cup.

"I don't think I can describe that (the goal), it is a great feeling," Pominville said. "I don't think a lot of people thought that we could win this series. The only people who thought we could was us."

Ryan Miller made 34 saves as the Sabres won their third overtime game of the series.

The Sabres will be returning to the finals of the Eastern Conference for the first time since reaching the Stanley Cup Finals in 1999. That year, Buffalo downed Toronto in five games only to be defeated by Dallas.

"We are smiling right now. We get a chance to enjoy this for a little bit then it's right back to work," said Miller. "We were right behind (Ottawa) all year, point wise, and after the first few games of the year we really came around and played them tighter. We really played solid hockey against them."

Daniel Alfredsson and Brian Pothier both scored for the Senators, who came into the playoffs as the top seed in the conference. Ray Emery made 21 saves in defeat.

"It's hard to reflect right now on good things but we have some great stories this year with a lot of young guys, rookies, and it is going to be much better off after this for us," Alfredsson said. "For me personally, as an older guy, you don't know, is this the last chance I get, I mean who knows. It's tough."

The Senators finished the regular season with 113 points, edging the Hurricanes by one point for the top spot in the East.

All five of the games in this series were decided by one goal which includes a 7-6 Buffalo overtime win in Game 1. The Sabres also recorded a 3-2 win in overtime in Game 3.

In the extra session, Jay McKee was whistled for tripping at 1:44 of the frame to give the Senators their seventh power play of the game.

However, it was Buffalo who took advantage as Pominville broke out of the zone up the left side, cut around a defending Alfredsson into the slot and deposited the puck past Emery's left pad to clinch the series.

"They had the puck in our zone and I put my head up and saw Alfredsson...and I thought I would give it a shot," said Pominville. "I got a step on him, pulled it to my forehand and saw the net and just put it in there."

"I didn't think he had an angle to cut in front," Emery said. "He was on his backhand, I though he was just going to dump it at the net or get in behind. He got in tight, I went down too soon and let him cut in front."

The Senators were coming off a big 2-1 road win against the Sabres in Game 4 to temporarily avoid elimination, but lost their home crowd early as Buffalo scored just 33 seconds into the game on its first shot of the contest.

Ales Kotalik had possession of the puck in the right corner and he sent a centering feed that went all the way back off the left wall. The disc bounced into the left circle where Tallinder slapped it over Emery's shoulder, off the top of the crossbar and in.

Alfredsson tied the contest with 9:34 left in the opening stanza with his second goal of the postseason. While on the power play, Miller withstood a flurry of offense in front before Ottawa's Zdeno Chara got the puck back to the point from his knees to a waiting Alfredsson. The winger then rocketed a shot past Miller's blocker side to even things at 1-1.

A power-play goal in the second put Buffalo ahead 2-1. Drury grabbed the puck along the left wall and looked to setup. He was given room and the center decided to keep the disc, moved into the left slot and beat Emery glove side with 12:04 to go in the second.

The Senators tied the game up before the second intermission. During a 4-on-4 situation, Bryan Smolinski won an offensive draw from the right circle and the puck found its way back to the point. Pothier was on the receiving end of the pass and he whistled a shot past Miller's glove for a 2-2 game with 6:01 left.

Game Notes

Tallinder's goal was his first of the postseason...Kotalik finished with two assists in the game...Ottawa outshot Buffalo 26-15 through the first two periods...The Sabres ended 1-for-6 on the power play while the Senators finished 1-for-7...The Senators bested Tampa Bay, the defending Stanley Cup champions, in the first round of the playoffs in five games.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts