Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All i can say is Alexander O is awesome... :cool:

That guy will be a huge star in the NHL. :thumbsup: (mind you hes already shining)

TURIN, Italy (CP) - Alexander Ovechkin broke a scoreless tie 1:30 into the third period and Russia eliminated defending champion Canada from the Olympics with a 2-0 victory in the men's hockey quarter-finals Wednesday.

It's the first time Canada has failed to reach the semifinals in three tries since full participation of NHL players began with the 1998 Games in Nagano, Japan, when it lost the bronze medal game. Canada won gold at the 2002 Games in Salt Lake City.

''I don't feel very good,'' said Canadian coach Pat Quinn. ''You only get certain chances to stand as the best and I really believed that we had a team that was capable of that.''

There are no consolation games at the Olympics, so Team Canada will be headed home while Russia moves on to play Finland in the semifinals on Friday. The Finns beat the United States 4-3 in their quarter-final.

The loss put a damper on what had been a great day for Canada at the Games with two gold and two silver

Alexei Kovalev added another power-play goal with 23 seconds left to play.

A game worthy of a final between the world's two great hockey powers had plenty of scoring chances at both ends, but did not produce a goal until Todd Bertuzzi was sent off for interference in the opening minute of the third period.

Canada had trouble clearing its zone and Viktor Kozlov jumped on a loose puck and fed it to Ovechkin, the Washington Capitals rookie scoring sensation, for a shot into an open side.

The large contingent of Russians in the near-sellout crowd at Torinto Esposizione went wild in the stands as a joyful Ovechkin touched gloves with his teammates at the bench.

Canada pressed hard for the equalizer, but could not beat goaltender Evgeni Nabokov.

Despite a lineup of NHL stars, Canada had trouble scoring in Turin, particularly at Esposizione, the secondary Olympic arena where it was shut out 2-0 by Switzerland and 2-0 by Finland in preliminary round play, and then again by Russia.

Canada scored 15 goals in three games at the main arena, Palasport Olympico.

''We'll probably think about it a lot,'' Quinn said of his team's lack of offence. ''We have a talented group that does score in the National Hockey League, but the bottom line was that we had to come together as a team and we didn't do it as well as we needed to.''

Russia outshot Canada 33-26 overall.

It was Canada's first Olympic meeting with the Russians since losing the 1992 gold medal game at Albertville, France, in 1992. Despite the lack of goals, it was a rousing, physical game.

''That's the best Russian team I've played yet,'' said Canadian defenceman Rob Blake. ''I think you have to credit some of their young stars - Ovechkin, (Ilya) Kovalchuk and there's guys who have been around like Kovalev and (Alexei) Yashin. They're very talented.''

The Russians, knowing Martin Brodeur tweaked a lingering knee injury in a 3-2 win over the Czech Republic on Tuesday, crashed the crease more than once, but the veteran goaltender held his ground and produced his best game of the tournament.

Canada had a setback at 16:52 of the first period when first-line winger Simon Gagne was helped off the ice favouring his right leg after a collision with defenceman Darius Kasparaitis during a power play.

Kasparaitis threw a low hip check that sent Gagne into the air, but no penalty was called by American referee Dennis LaRue.

Gagne returned for a handful of shifts in the second period, but then stayed on the bench.

Notes: Russia/Soviet Union is (7-1) all-time against Canada at the Olympics.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Next time, don't put Pat Quinn in charge of picking players. What was the youngest, 50? Why weren't Crosby, Stahl, Breneuf, etc there, instead of Blake, Sakic, etc. I mean, damn, I'd have taken Stevie Y over Blake in a second. Oh well, maybe next time. Pat's used to saying that.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HabsRule said:
Next time, don't put Pat Quinn in charge of picking players. What was the youngest, 50? Why weren't Crosby, Stahl, Breneuf, etc there, instead of Blake, Sakic, etc. I mean, damn, I'd have taken Stevie Y over Blake in a second. Oh well, maybe next time. Pat's used to saying that.

True, he hasnt had much success with the leafs. :laugh:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is it finally over?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Stahl, Breneuf,
Do you mean Staal and Phaneuf LOL

I think the team we picked was the right team minus staal being left out. other then that they just played with no heart. didint forcheck and didint bring there phisical game.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts