Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279860

Patrick Roy could be head coach and general manager of the Colorado Avalanche if he accepts the posts from his former club.

According to Ruefrontenac.com - a Montreal-based news website - Avs president Pierre Lacroix has offered Roy both jobs and that Roy wants to hire former teammate Sylvain Lefebvre and Drummondville head coach Guy Boucher as his assistants.

The GM posting became vacant after Lacroix fired Francois Giguere last month and Tony Granato is still the team's head coach.

The Montreal report added that Craig Billington - the Avs' vice president of hockey operations and Roy's former backup, could serve as a co-general manager.

The Denver Post reported last week that the Avalanche offered Roy the coaching job, and added there was a possibility he might get the vacant general manager's job as well.

Ruefrontenac.com also reports that Lacroix is offering Roy almost full control over the club's hockey operations as a way of trumping any potential offer from his other former team - the Montreal Canadiens.

Since retiring in 2003, Roy has been part owner and head coach of the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, winning a Memorial Cup title in 2006.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I cant see him taking both the gm job and the coaching job because then he would be so overwhelmed. I can see him taking the coaching job because while its not easy job i can see it having a few less responsibilities than the gm job would have.

Maybe later in his career the he would be able to hold both positions but in his first year as head coach in the NHL i think he will be trying to grasp a hold over the coaching position let alone be trying to also juggle the position as gm too, i dont doubt that he will be a great coach in the NHL and his junior resume looks very good.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I cant see him taking both the gm job and the coaching job because then he would be so overwhelmed. I can see him taking the coaching job because while its not easy job i can see it having a few less responsibilities than the gm job would have.

Maybe later in his career the he would be able to hold both positions but in his first year as head coach in the NHL i think he will be trying to grasp a hold over the coaching position let alone be trying to also juggle the position as gm too, i dont doubt that he will be a great coach in the NHL and his junior resume looks very good.
Very well said and true.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
It's rare that a superstar can become a coach, but if he becomes both the coach AND the GM...

that's unheard of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts