Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ottawa vs Buffalo
Prediction: Ottawa in 7
I think this will be a really tough fought series, but ultimately the Ottawa offense will pull through. I think the Sens will be plagued by poor goaltending making this series closer than they would like.

New Jersey vs Carolina
Predication: New Jersey in 5
Brodeur, Brodeur, Brodeur. This will be a sleeper series, and perhaps the most boring games, but that all plays into the Devils plan. Carolina wasn't sharp against Montreal, and it will kill them in this series.

San Jose vs Edmonton
Prediction: San Jose in 6
I think Thornton will prove to be better than Ryan Smyth. The Sharks also have one of the most intimidating home-ice arena's in the NHL. Can you say Shark Attack?

Anaheim vs Colorado
Prediction: Colorada in 6
I think the Avs with Jose Theodore will be able to beat the Ducks. I like the Ducks offense, and Neidermayer is one of the best, but the Avs will pull through with great goaltending.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting assessment, and I mostly agree with your picks. I think the Eastern Conference series will both be great series. Both very well could go 7 games. I also think Ottawa and NJ will win, but the Canes are no pushovers. Cam Ward is red hot in goal for them, and when he entered the series against Montreal, the Habs literally were shut down from that point on. The Canes have a tough, grinding type game, very simular to the Devils. If there was to be an upset in the east, this is the series where it will happen.

Buffalo will give Ottawa all they can handle. The Sen's literally had a first round bye, as Tampa is a shadow of it's cup winning team, being plagued by horrible goaltending, and slow, plodding defense in their series. Buffalo is rock solid behind the blueline, and much tougher physically than Tampa. Ottawa's snipers won't find anywhere near the room, or time in the slot to overpower the Sabres. Really, this series could very well be a tossup, and as such, I would pick Ottawa, only on the reason of having the 7th game on their ice. Somewhat lame excuse, but these two teams are very evenly matched, IMO.

Out west, also 2 great series to watch. I like Anaheim and SJ to advance, but both could also be 7 game series. The Sharks have too much skill, and speed and if the Oilers play the same way they did against Detroit, the Sharks PP will make them pay. I also like the Sharks goaltending moreso than the Oilers, so while the series could go 7, I'm with you and I think a 6 game series with the Sharks winning will be the result.

The Ducks and the Av's very well could be the best series of the second round. Both teams like speed, speed, and then more speed! The Ducks have superb goaltending and a big, strong and mobile defensive corps. This series could be as wide open, as you would find in the playoffs. I do like Anaheim in this series, but it won't be easy. I say Anaheim in 7.

If all this rings true, then the Conference finals would see NJ/Ottawa and SJ/Anaheim. Very interesting indeed, and very well might happen.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ottawa vs Buffalo -
Ottawa in 6
Ottawa's got the great offense and defense, and certainly proved it is a physical presence in the Tampa series. Buffalo's got some good goaltending, but I do think that Ottawa will definitely be too much for Buffalo. They were the number one seed for a reason, after all.

Carolina vs New Jersey
Carolina in 7
I think this will be one of the more exciting series, both teams are great. But I do think that New Jersey's luck has run out. In this new NHL, New Jersey has to make some more changes, and Carolina has had too great of a year to be denied in the second round of the playoffs.

San Jose vs Edmonton
Edmonton in 7
I find this a great match up, but has everyone forgotten Edmonton's miracle series against Detroit? Smyth, Pronger, and Roloson are playing wonderfully, Edmonton has this series. But I do think San Jose will put up a fight, Joe Thornton and Cheechoo have played wonderfully for them.

Anaheim vs Colorado
Colorado in 5
Colorado has had one of the best teams in the league all year long, despite their pitiful standings placing. They've had the ability to score goals all year long, and have made all of their players better, including Lappy, Mclean and more. This is one of the hardest working teams in the nhl, and this is playoff time. They will pull through. The missing link in the regular season for the avs was a great goaltender, and Jose Theodore had a great series against Dallas. Anaheim pulled off a Cinderella story first round, but the clock has struck midnight for this team.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't think the Jersey/Carolina series will go past 5 games. I'm going to agree with rdlviper. Brodeur. As for Buffalo and Ottawa, well, I watched parts of that game last night, and it was ok, until 2 minutes to go, and then the 10 secs of overtime. I hear a choke coming from the Ottawa area. I'm going to say Buffalo in 6.
West, Edmonton in 6, and Colorado in 5. I don't really follow the western conference much, but I'm going to cheer for Edmonton, and the Quebec Nordiques.:laugh:

·
Registered
227 Posts
The way I see it is if the Ducks maintain the type of game they exhibited in game 1 vs. Colorado, and games 6/7 vs. Calgary, there is no way Colorado will win!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well, the Avs are out, unless they can pull off a miracle that has only happened twice. But it doesn't matter, the ducks wont get the cup. Poultry can only get so far. There are far better teams than the ducks right now out there, that will not be denied a stanley cup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i agree, there is no way the ducks are gonna pull off another run like they did two seasons ago, they are just goin to be over powered by thornton and the sharks. They might be faster, which they probably are, but speed can only get you so far, i predict they will loose to the sharks in 5 games in the western finals. Now that they have a two game lead, and based off their performance, i can saftly say that the sabers will move on, they are the team that can outskate any team in the nhl i think, but i think the devils are goin to over come the canes and then eventually beat the sabers, and the sharks, thereby winn the cup, GO DEVILS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts