Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
8/31/2006 12:27:48 PM

Phoenix Coyotes forward Jeremy Roenick says he's perplexed by the lack of television exposure the team will get next season, given that Wayne Gretzky is the coach of the team.

In the United States, NBC - which will not begin showing games until mid-January - has no plans to show the Coyotes while OLN, soon to be known as Versus, has just one Coyotes game on its schedule, March 20th against Minnesota.

"Just having Gretzky as our owner, that's enough to get at least one of our games on (NBC)," Roenick tells the Arizona Republic. "I mean come on, throw a dog a bone. That, to me, is incredibly either disrespectful to Wayne or disrespectful to the city of Phoenix, a city that has supported their team."

"Yeah, Phoenix is not a big city, but we do have some big-name players on our team such as Jovanovski and Owen Nolan, myself, Shane Doan, and an up-and-comer like (Ladislav) Nagy. Obviously, some of these names, some people couldn't care less about, but a lot of it is because the NHL and the TV companies don't expose some of these players the way that they should."

"If they think that Phoenix is not a good market to watch, I think they're missing the boat."

Roenick says while the league has done a great job in increasing the excitement of the game, they still need to do more to get people to watch the game on television. He adds that not having Gretzky's presence on network television is a "massive loss" for the NHL.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I don't like him... at all.

BUT I can't say that he's wrong. It's correct, and this has been gong on for too long. Not just in Phoenix, but in many "NHL" cities. The league is just not getting enough, and it needs to improve.

They have CuJo (a stellar goalie in his prime, and still decent to this day), Roenick (who can't keep his mouth shut), Comrie (a player that was vilified in like Edmonton), JovoCo, Doan (one of the hardest working players in the league), and of course Nagy, who it seems that most fans don't know much about at all.

Hey, even I don't know much about the guy except that he's a PPG player who gets injured often. That's just about it. :dunno:

Oh yeah, and who's that other guy I forgot. Gretzky?! He's the coach? It's surprising that anyone knows that.

It's a shame that the league is being run by imcompetent fools.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts