Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mike Richter leaves a lasting legacy in New York. (file)

Spotlight on Richter

Rangers great Mike Richter will have his No. 35 retired tonight at Madison Square Garden.

Sportsnet.ca - The New York Rangers will honour the career of goaltender Mike Richter Wednesday prior to their game versus Minnesota, but Richter's former coach, Mike Keenan will be a noticeable absentee.

Keenan told Sportsnet he believes his presence at Madison Square Garden may create too much of a distraction, based on what has been reported over the past week, so he's decided not to attend.

"This is Mike's (Richter) night, he's earned it and I don't want to risk any circus type atmosphere taking away from that," said Keenan.

Some have speculated Keenan is the Rangers coach in waiting following his brief contact with the team last week. Keenan insists his recent conversations with Glen revolved around Wednesday's retirement party.

"If Glen Sather is going to make a coaching change, and I'm not sure he is, he'll do it on his own terms," said Keenan. "He knows where I am...he knows how to get a hold of me and we haven't talked yet."

Still the speculation builds. Keenan is best remembered for leading Mike Richter and his teammates to a Stanley Cup Championship in 1994, but will only watch Wednesday's festivities on television, like the rest of us.

Keenan started the 2003-04 season as head coach in Florida, but philosophical differences led Rick Dudley to relieve Iron Mike of his dut

I always liked Richter as a goalie and wish him well in his life away from hockey.He was a great goalie and solid performer through out his career,it's just to bad it had to end the way it did.

·
Registered
345 Posts
rabinny said:
Awesome job by MSG tonight to honor Mike Richter :D
Yeah, definately a great job by MSG and the crowd. Adam Graves got a HUGE pop as well. Definately a class act by everyone last night. Well... except for the Rangers as a team... couldn't even win one last game for Mike. Otherwise a great night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts