Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a place to discuss any rumor that is floating around about the Red Wings that you may have heard or found on the internet.

http://communities.canada.com/windsorstar/blogs/duffersdabbles/archive/2010/12/14/could-michigan-s-swedish-star-be-headed-to-wings.aspx

There's speculation in NHL circles that Michigan senior co-captain Carl Hagelin, who notched a pair of goals Saturday as the Wolverines blanked the Michigan State Spartans 5-0 in the Big Chill outdoor NCAA hockey game at Michigan Stadium, could be headed for the Detroit Red Wings.

Currently the property of the New York Rangers, who selected the 5-11, 176-pound left-winger from Sodertalje, Sweden with the 168th pick of the 2007 National Hockey League entry draft, word around the NHL is that the Rangers won't be signing Hagelin, who would then become a free agent Aug. 15, 2011. “I wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit sign him,” said one NHL scout at Saturday's game.

“He's been arguably our best forward all year,” Michigan coach Red Berenson said of Hagelin, who has 9-10-19 totals in 19 games.

Hagelin recalled playing many outdoor games as a youngster growing up in Sweden. “Kids between seven and 10 play lots of games outdoors,” he said. “I played a lot of games outdoors, and we even practiced a lot outdoors. There's a lot of people back home skating on the ponds and the lakes. But there's not 113,000 watching. There's maybe 23 people watching.”
Sounds pretty similar to the situation with Bill Sweatt this past off-season. College kid drafted by a team, doesn't have plans to sign with them and instead waits until August and becomes a UFA. Only difference is that Sweatt had a trade to Toronto in there, which, if this rumor has any legs, doesn't happen with Hagelin. I like Hagelin a lot though. I think he's a solid skater and two-way hockey player. Probably needs a year or two in the minors to get adjusted to the pro game, but he could be a definite future asset for the Wings.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts