Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sports Ticker
7/27/2006 4:30:04 PM

DETROIT (Ticker) - The Detroit Red Wings avoided arbitration with Jason Williams on Thursday, re-signing the center to a two-year contract.

Financial terms were not disclosed for Williams, who was scheduled for arbitration next Monday.

The 25-year-old had a breakthrough season in 2005-06, his fifth in the league, setting career highs in games (80), goals (21), assists (37) and points (58). Williams scored five times in seven shootout attempts, including two game-winning goals.

"We are pleased to reach a deal with Jason before going to arbitration," Detroit general manager Ken Holland said. "He took a big step forward as a NHL player last year and we look forward to even more progress in the future."

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I remember thinking that he was going to be a bust, but he came out strong in the beginning of last season, and played well most of the rest fo the year.

Good for him, and good for Detroit since they've lost a few guys this off-season.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
glad to see him back in detroit! hes a great kid, hopefully he does well this season and gets a ton of ice time~

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Williams resigned

Nobody posted this so i thought i would

DETROIT -- Teams and players like to avoid salary arbitration whenever possible. The bitter words and ill feelings tend to last.

The Red Wings and Jason Williams avoided Monday's scheduled hearing by reaching an agreement on a two-year contract worth $3.2 million Thursday.

Entering his sixth season, Williams, 25, had a career year last season with personal bests in games (80), goals (21), assists (37) and points (58). He also was one of the league's most successful scorers during shootouts -- scoring on 5 of 7 chances, including two winners.

Williams had a great start last season, scoring 13 points (three goals, 10 assists) in the first 10 games. Williams also became the first Wing to score three goals in a period since 1996-97 when he scored a hat trick in the first period against Columbus on Oct. 22.

The Wings might still add a veteran forward before training camp. Unrestricted free agents such as Anson Carter (Michigan State), Petr Sykora and Martin Rucinsky are available.

Reports out of Canada on Thursday indicated Carter was lowering his salary demands.
he has dont good for us so far.. is this a good move or not? your thoughts. mine would be it is, hes a young forward that has alot going for him and its going to be good for the wings. he has been there when needed and it will be good to see him back!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts