Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All that's left is a contract both sides can agree on, giving the 41-year-old goaltender a new home with a team that has made finding a No. 1 goalie its top priority.

''I expect we'll be talking again today,'' Ron Salcer, Belfour's agent, said Tuesday afternoon. ''I'm waiting to hear back from them.''

A message seeking comment was left with Red Wings general manager Ken Holland, who did announce in a statement that the team had re-signed defenseman Brett Lebda to a four-year contract.

Detroit has needed a goalie since deciding against offering Manny Legace a contract to return after his strong regular season and poor postseason. The Red Wings have signed Chris Osgood, bringing him back as a backup.

will he sign?

Belfour had back surgery in April but cleared a physical with the Red Wings last week.

While there seems to be mutual interest between Belfour and Detroit, Red Wings spokesman John Hahn said the team has also been in contact with Dominik Hasek, a 41-year-old goalie and former Red Wing.

Belfour is coming off a lacklustre season with the Toronto Maple Leafs, going 22-22-4 with a 3.29 goals-against average. He didn't play after March 10 because of his injured back, which had given him problems previously in his career.

The Maple Leafs declined to pick up the option on Belfour's contract in June, making him an unrestricted free agent. He was 93-61 with a 2.51 GAA in three seasons in Toronto.

Belfour has 457 career wins - trailing only Patrick Roy in NHL history - with Chicago, Dallas and Toronto. While playing for the Blackhawks, he won the 1991 and '93 Vezina Trophies, which recognize the top goalie in the league.

He has 88 playoff victories, a total behind just Roy, Grant Fuhr and New Jersey's Martin Brodeur. Belfour ranks fifth in league history with 14 post-season shutouts.

Hasek has had trouble staying healthy in the last two seasons of his stellar career. He was 28-10 last season with the Ottawa Senators, who lost his services after he injured his groin during the Olympics in Italy.

He underwent surgery to repair a serious groin injury before signing with the Senators as a free agent two years ago, then had an entire year to rest because of the NHL lockout.

During the 2003-04 season, Hasek played just 14 games for the Red Wings because of a groin injury. The six-time Vezina Trophy winner, with 324 career wins, helped Detroit win the Stanley Cup in 2002. He played for the Buffalo Sabres from the 1992-93 season through 2000-01.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I made a thread similar to this one.. The one that says the Eagle has landed.

well he hasnt yet.. and he will be landing in florida.. cause i can see us with giguere and Toskala. they are good goaltenders! i would just love seeing those two on there.;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts