Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Did anyone pay attention to Lindros during the Richter ceremony? He was tearing up during it and I don't think it was happiness for Richter. For some reason when I saw him tearing up he had this look on his face like he knew it was over for him. I dunno maybe I'm reading too much into it. Does anyone have any new information regarding his condition?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Lindros says he wont retire

Lindros says he wont retire

Eric Lindros is not ready to retire, or even really thinking about it just yet, reports New York Newsday.

He was reportedly annoyed at a newspaper headline yesterday that said he was considering retirement as he recovers from his eighth concussion, suffered eight days ago against the Capitals.

Lindros dropped into Madison Square Garden last night to watch Mike Richter’s retirement ceremony, but was gone by the time the puck dropped.

He will be resting throughout the All-Star break, unable yet to do much beyond taking a walk or a drive.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Just found the following on TSN's website,
Brain injury advocate to Lindros: quit

TSN.ca Staff

2/10/2004

An Albany-based attorney who leads an advocacy group for victims of brain injuries says Eric Lindros should not be allowed to play hockey again.

Michael Kaplen, the president of the Brain Injury Association of New York, says sports concussions and brain injuries in particular are underappreciated.

"How can I say... 'Retire him?' How do I have the nerve?" Kaplen tells the Daily News. "My answer is that I've seen thousands who have had the same injury and went back to play and had tragic consequences."

Two leading researchers in the field of sports-related concussions don't necessarily agree with Kaplen's conclusions.

"In my opinion, I don't think the actual number of concussions really is an issue," said Dr. Ira Casson, who is a member of the NFL's subcommittee on brain injury.

"I know that there are many people in the field who would probably think otherwise. I don't know what their number is, but they would probably say once you get to a certain number, you probably should stop."

Dr. Mark Lovell of the University of Pittsburgh, who has designed testing programs for both the NFL and NHL, agrees that there is no magic number. He says frequency of concussions and diminished resistance to lesser blows are key factors in determining whether a player should be permitted to return.

Lovell says since 25 months have passed between concussions for Lindros and the fact that a forceful blow was required to cause the latest one are potentially encouraging signs.

Lindros is currently recovering from his eighth documented concussion after he was bodychecked by Washington defenceman Jason Doig two weeks ago. He is currently under the care of noted neurologist Dr. Karen Johston.
Magic number? Forceful blow? Just seems like a bunch of hooey to me.

Lindros has had 8 concussions; his brain has to be telling him things. But if he wants to play and the doctors and insurance people clear him, he can play. Just don't expect me to have any sympathy for him when he is ends up in a hospital; in a vegetative state, drooling and wearing adult diapers.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've heard something really weird though. Hopefully I can explain this right without butchering it. There was a report at a local radio station regarding what some doctors are saying. They said that it doesn't make a difference if you had 1 concussion or 20. So long as you recover from it fully you shouldn't have any problems. The problems occur when you come back to quickly. If a big hit can cause a concussion then its ok, it's the little tap hits that should worry you. If they cause a concussion than you never got over the original one in the first place.

Now I don't know squat about medical stuff, but does this make sense? Seems a bit off to me. Hopefully the doctors that are treating him will do the right thing and let him decide and not give him scewed info.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts