·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=69986&hubName=nhl

Rangers Lindros suffers concussion

Sports Ticker

1/28/2004

NEW YORK (Ticker) - New York Rangers center Eric Lindros, whose once-brilliant career has been marred by injuries, suffered another concussion Wednesday.

Lindros had his head down along the boards in the neutral zone when he was nailed with a clean hit by Washington Capitals defenseman Jason Doig midway through the second period at Madison Square Garden.

The 6-5, 237-pound Lindros stayed on the ice and sought out Doig off the ensuing faceoff. The two exchanged punches and received five minutes major penalties for fighting.

Lindros, who turns 31 next month, finished the period but appeared dazed as he left the bench for the locker room and did not return. The team said he will be re-evaluated Thursday.

It is the latest in a long line of concussions for Lindros, who has been sidelined 109 games since the start of the 1996-97 season due to a variety of injuries.

Injury-free last season, Lindros was beset by a series of concussions in 1999-00, the last of which came with Philadelphia in Game Seven of the Eastern Conference finals.

One of the most hyped players to enter the NHL, Lindros won the Hart Trophy following the lockout-abbreviated 1994-95 campaign. The five-time All-Star was a force his first five seasons, totaling 436 points in 297 games.

Lindros also led the Flyers to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1997, but he feuded with general manager Bob Clarke before he was dealt to New York in August 2001.

In 39 games this season, Lindros has 10 goals and 22 assists.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
That's a shame, he was really playing well lately, have to wonder if he shouldn't call it a day for his own future health.

·
Super Moderator
8,126 Posts
Although I've never liked Lindros, this could be tragic for the Rangers. But it was just a matter of time before he'd get hit again and risk ending his career... I truly hope he retires instead of risquing permanent damage!

·
Hockeyforum Legend
2,960 Posts
Its sad to see a once great player being baffled by injuries.. he hasn't be the same since the Scott Stevens hit, although he has played better this season.

I hope he calls it quits... should be smart before any permanent brain damage, you can only have a concussion so many times.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Don't see why he's a baby for wanting to fight?

He was trying to play a tougher brand of game, has been all season, that's just part of it.

Probably not a good decision to potentially eat some fist after already having your bell rung for the 7th or 8th time, but hardly something to call him a baby for.

·
Registered
244 Posts
theo fleury said:
he told 88 , that he shouldnt keep his head down on the ice..
Apparently Lindros still hasn't learned anything from the Stevens hit. Keeping his head down is what got him into trouble in that situation. Still a shame though, he was definitely playing with a lot more snarl lately. Even if he does come back and play again, I highly doubt you'll see the same level of intensity in his play that he has shown the past few weeks.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Yoata said:

He was trying to play a tougher brand of game, has been all season, that's just part of it.

Probably not a good decision to potentially eat some fist after already having your bell rung for the 7th or 8th time, but hardly something to call him a baby for.
soo everytime someone gets hit in this leagues, it ok to drop the gloves and fight ? no, only the babies fight after they get hit

·
Hockeyforum Legend
2,960 Posts
theo fleury said:
Yoata said:

soo everytime someone gets hit in this leagues, it ok to drop the gloves and fight ? no, only the babies fight after they get hit
He's allowed to stand up for himself... Not only the babies fight after they get hit. If he thought he was unfairly hit, why not stand up? If he wants to gain some of his edge back from the mid-90's, he has to play tougher. Too bad about the concussion though.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
No, only baby's have someone else fight for them.

It's not like he was picking on some little guy, he and Doig have had battles before, Lindros took exception to Doig taking the opportunity to give him a shot when he was unaware. (Lindros' fault for having his head down, but some guys might not have run him, or perhaps backed off a bit knowing Lindros' condition, not saying he should have) Lindros wouldn't have fought a guy like Aucoin for throwing a hit like that I'm sure, but Doig's a big guy and a willing combatant, and Lindros obviously felt the hit was excessive. Anyway, maybe Lindros feels he has to protect himself, send a message that he's not going to take those kinds of hits (maybe he can't afford to), so he asks the guy for a fight. He didn't sucker him or anything, the guy obliged, they went at it, end of story. Happens fairly regularly actually, it's part of the game, and the reason why a fight breaks out more often than not is because somebody's taken exception to a hit of some kind.
If you think that's being a baby, then there's an awful lot of babies playing hockey I guess, either that or you don't really understand the game very well.

You want a baby, take a look at Pucker or Dumi.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
I agree with yoata. There is nothing wrong with Lindros going after Doig. Lindros wanted to return the favour. Why aren't you saying.. waaa waa, doig cant fight after he hits someone?" Lindros was just trying to give some intensity and show doig that he wasn't going down with a fight. But to do it while having a concussion is very stupid, but admirable. 88 wasn't the player he used to be, but he was really starting to show up lately.. Hopefully its just one of those day to day minor concussions. As far as O'Niell in a blue shirt? i doubt it. Carolina wants good young talent plus a pick. Rangers aren't going to trade Lundmark. Lundmark is injured, but he is their best prospect.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Yoata said:
either that or you don't really understand the game very well.You want a baby, take a look at Pucker or Dumi.
actually i understand the game quite well there little yoata, i admire guys like robert svevla and JR that can get nailed and respect the fact that they had there heads down and deserved such a hit, i didnt see robert going after JR and i didnt see JR going after tucker if you remember what hits im talking about, what i dont respect are people that feel the need to fight after they get caught with there heads down... such as players like tucker domi, lindros... take the hit understand youre a dumbass for having your head down in a nhl game, and suck it up

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
little yoata?

No need to get personal.

You admire jr.?

Like I said you obviously don't get it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Yoata said:
little yoata?

No need to get personal.

You admire jr.?

Like I said you obviously don't get it.
im not getting personal, im just returning the favour when you called me little from a previous post, which im too lazy in finding, but if you dont belive me, i will search and find where u called me little fleury, and i admire the fact that JR did not go after tucker on the hit, i dont admire everything he does in the game, i clearly stated i admire players that can take the hit and be a man about it, and why are u attacking me with comments that i dont undertand the game, and i dont get it? when i was clearly posting my view on the lindros incident, whos getting personal here yoata?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Like I said, EITHER there's an awful lot of babies playing in the NHL because they get mad and want to fight after taking a hit they think is excessive, OR you don't understand the game very well.

Nothing personal, it's like somebody calling a goaltender a baby for getting upset when somebody goes through his crease and brushes against him. It may not be penalty worthy, but there's nothing wrong with that goaltender doing that, it doesn't make him a baby. Those that say so also don't undestand the game very well.

I may have called you that a while ago but I'm sure it was in response to you getting personal with me, which there was a fair bit of a while ago.

I thought we'd put that all behind us, I know I have.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe, just mabe it's time for the big guy to hang them up.

One hit could mean more than just his career, if you know what I mean. :( He should stop while his body is still functioning right is all I'm saying.

But then again, that's what everybody has been saying since 2000.

·
Registered
244 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
Maybe, just mabe it's time for the big guy to hang them up.

One hit could mean more than just his career, if you know what I mean. :( He should stop while his body is still functioning right is all I'm saying.

But then again, that's what everybody has been saying since 2000.
Yup definitely. He's still chugging along though. Unfortunately for him, no matter if he retires after this hit or even a few years down the line, he will not be remembered as a dominating RANGER. He'll always be remembered as a dominating FLYER who had 1 too many knocks to the head and didnt know when to quit. He will never be as dominating as he was as a Flyer and he wont ever live up to the hype that was put on him when he came up in the league. And I highly doubt he will ever win a Cup. Especially if he stays with the Rangers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts