Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone thinks about the Rangers chances in the next few years. The team just doesnt look like its that cliched 1 or 2 players away from a Cup. Its as if they have totally mortgaged their future and really have no hopes of making it past the 1st round if they do in fact make the playoffs. What are some moves you think they should make to improve the organization? And Im not just talking about picking up more rotisserie players, Im talking about actually restructuring so that they can put themselves in contention for the next few years. I think its about time they started dropping some dead weight (e.g. Kovalev & Poti to name a few) and pick up some young prospects and picks to season in their Hartford affiliate. Especially if they fall hopelessly out of the playoff picture this year I think they should be sellers and not buyers. But then again, Sather probably wont do that. Just my opinion. Id love to see Isle/Ranger games mean something more again than just bragging rights for fans (and winning the "LaFontaine Cup") :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Heh as a Ranger fan I agree with Yoata. It's just getting bad now. We've gone way past ridiculous speed and have gone to ludicris speed in terms of how fast we've come to this point. The fans aren't shouting "Fire Sather" anymore, they've gotten to "Kill Sather" now. As to how to fix the Rangers its simple. Anyone over age 36 = bubye. Anyone who isn't pulling their weight but has a good "name" = bubye. If the person is <26 but >18 LET HIM PLAY DAMNIT!!

Course the real Ranger fans have been saying this for years but until Sather realizes it and until someone can knock the old man from being the best on the team it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
They gotta rebuild simple as that in New York. The team hasn't made the playoffs in a long time and with the talent level that they have this is pretty sad. It is also unfortenate that when Lindros was starting to play pretty good that he gets the concussion.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Leaferfan87 said:
It is also unfortenate that when Lindros was starting to play pretty good that he gets the concussion.
Yeah I think its over for him. I'm sure he'll try to come back but I'm not sure thats wise. He could be turned into a vegetable if he gets popped again.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ScumWithANoose said:
Leaferfan87 said:
It is also unfortenate that when Lindros was starting to play pretty good that he gets the concussion.
Yeah I think its over for him. I'm sure he'll try to come back but I'm not sure thats wise. He could be turned into a vegetable if he gets popped again.
At the very least he should stay out the remainder of this season. But all in all, I think it's time for him to retire.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's getting hard to think of the Rangers as a real NHL franchise. It's more like they're a comedic sideshow to the rest of the league, something for other fans and other teams to laugh about, and it shouldn't be this way. This is an original six team. Right now, the Rangers are just a collection of players with no chemistry. And I think they could be in trouble for a while still cuz their expensive veterans aren't doing to job and they sacrificed so many prospects and draft picks to get these guys, they don't have a lot of talent on the way. The next step has to be a new coach, a new general manager, and a better approach to scouting and drafting (the Rangers might have been better off to throw this season away in the hopes of getting Ovechkin). Resist the urge to trade young talent, even under-achievers like Poti. Right now, guys like Poti, Lundmark, Blackburn, Jessiman, Tjutin, Dawes, Moore have to be the future of this team. Hang on to a few key vets such as Jagr, Holik, DeVries, Mironov and try to build around these guys with smart drafting and smart free agent acquisitions and solid coaching. I think it's time for a new philosophy.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I heard on a radio show in Toronto that someone has observed Lindros since his concussion suffered at the hands of Stevens across the river from you New Yorkers. Apparently the person said that Lindros still hasn't recovered from that injury in terms of balance and just his style of play in general.

Unfortenately he is headed for the same situation as brother Brett.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I believe hes out definetly for this year, and probably for his career

Hey what a coincidence Lindros and Bure will probably end thier careers in NY due to injury, Looks like Jagr must be next =P

EDIT: to add that Mike Richter also recently retired due to injury hehe, thats 3 stars in a year and a half.

·
Registered
345 Posts
FillyFanatic said:
I believe hes out definetly for this year, and probably for his career
According to what Davidson said during a Ranger game a few weeks ago, Bure is still up in the air in regards to his career. He is still training as if he is coming back and has never mentioned to anyone (including his brother from what J.D. said) about retiring. So until Bure actually says "I'm done." he is still trying to come back from the reports being given out.

·
Registered
345 Posts
FillyFanatic said:
well thats good news, i love watching him. soooo fast
Definately. He really lived up to the nickname "Russian Rocket" when he played. Hopefully he can get healthy enough to play most of a season for a change. We're going to need him especially since I think Lindros is done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts