Hockey Fan Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
Leave atlanta were they are move tampa, florida columbus or nashville the NHL should not even be in those markets. as far as atlanta the flames should never have moved from there to calgary back in 1980.
I'm sorry, but your arguments are idiotic. I have yet to hear any intelligent reasoning from you. Apparently you just want to go back 30 years, and nothing else is important to you. It's 2006, deal with it. Please let this thread die.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
OLYMPIA STADIUM said:
Leave atlanta were they are move tampa, florida columbus or nashville the NHL should not even be in those markets. as far as atlanta the flames should never have moved from there to calgary back in 1980.
And why the hell not? How has this hurt the NHL?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Quebec

Torts said:
I'm sorry, but your arguments are idiotic. I have yet to hear any intelligent reasoning from you. Apparently you just want to go back 30 years, and nothing else is important to you. It's 2006, deal with it. Please let this thread die.
Nobody is going to change my mind on this. alot of the hockey fans today are to young to remmber the better days of the NHL.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey Torts ... don't listen to him, Ive had my share of distress trying to reason with him.

He is intollerant and resists change ... so let him be like that.

You won't get any juice out of that old orange ... its dried-out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes I'm starting this up again cuz I'm new

Well, I'm a first time poster since I just stumbled across this site! I am clearly a NYI fan (long suffering) but I was also a Quebec Nordiques fan and was very much angered by their move to Colorado. Not to worry, I'll be sporting my Michel Goulet jersey tomorrow night at the Thrashers season opener for no good reason. Anyway, I saw this thread and I'm interested in what (if anything) anyone has heard about the old NHL franchises coming back? Especially the Nordiques? I sincerely doubt the southern teams will ever move up north (where they belong) but I'd rather the league expand just to bring the Nords back than not at all. Knowing my luck they'd ditch their old jerseys that I loved and get something new and ugly. We Islander fans are familiar with that process...!

·
Registered
581 Posts
What I'd like to know is IF the Nashville team of 2006-07 just up and moved to Harford, why would that make them more enjoyable to watch? They'd have the same players, just different jerseys. Why on earth would that make a difference of how good the hockey is? It makes no :censure: sense. (sorry, I came so late to this thread)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Who in the world wants to go to see columbus or nashville play.i am not speaking for everyone in detroit but i know alot of red wings fans dont want to go.the NHL should have went to cleveland or even cincinnati instead of columbus.the NHL needs to go back to canada(WINNIPEG and QUEBEC)keep pittsburgh were they are. move either the florida teams or columbus and nashville.by the way you will never see the black hawks leave chicago.:twocentsi
Olympia, trying to recreate the past isn't going to work. I understand that you have a lot of nostalgia for days gone by, but trying to recreate the NHL of over a decade ago is just not good business.

Personally, I'm not sure why people don't want hockey to expand to warm weather cities. I used to be one of those people, but when I got to thinking about it, I decided its only better for the GAME to reach out to new people. Afterall, everyone here loves the game of hockey. Its a great sport. Why do we want others to miss out just because of their climate? Since we now have the technology to put ice rinks in any city year round, why should we try to keep the game localized in northern climates? The more cities the NHL reaches, the more popular the game of hockey will become. Expansion is good for the game.

Secondly, I don't think a team should be moved just because of a city. You don't like seeing Columbus because they are still relatively new and aren't a team you remember seeing as a younger person. In 20 years, who is to say that Wings fans won't turn out in droves to see the "hated" Columbus Blue Jackets? They could create a hell of a rivalry. Just give it some time.

I only think a team should be moved because they aren't drawing well or because they just can't make it in that city/market. Columbus and Nashville draw fans and have a big following. Leave them there. The Florida Panthers on the other hand are having some trouble. If they can't draw and create/maintain a large enough fan base, then they should move to a city that will support them.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see teams back in Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec City, etc. I even wish that the North Stars were still the Minnesota team. But things change. Dallas supports their team, and the Wild are now the team of Minnesota. Quebec City will never again have a team named the Nordiques, and unfortunately I don't think Hartford will ever have another NHL team unless the local government really works to try to land one.

You'll be a much happier and less bitter person if you learn to change and adapt with the times rather than try to hold on to days gone by.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No, teams in the north ONLY

Olympia, trying to recreate the past isn't going to work. I understand that you have a lot of nostalgia for days gone by, but trying to recreate the NHL of over a decade ago is just not good business.

Personally, I'm not sure why people don't want hockey to expand to warm weather cities. I used to be one of those people, but when I got to thinking about it, I decided its only better for the GAME to reach out to new people. Afterall, everyone here loves the game of hockey. Its a great sport. Why do we want others to miss out just because of their climate? Since we now have the technology to put ice rinks in any city year round, why should we try to keep the game localized in northern climates? The more cities the NHL reaches, the more popular the game of hockey will become. Expansion is good for the game.

Secondly, I don't think a team should be moved just because of a city. You don't like seeing Columbus because they are still relatively new and aren't a team you remember seeing as a younger person. In 20 years, who is to say that Wings fans won't turn out in droves to see the "hated" Columbus Blue Jackets? They could create a hell of a rivalry. Just give it some time.

I only think a team should be moved because they aren't drawing well or because they just can't make it in that city/market. Columbus and Nashville draw fans and have a big following. Leave them there. The Florida Panthers on the other hand are having some trouble. If they can't draw and create/maintain a large enough fan base, then they should move to a city that will support them.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see teams back in Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec City, etc. I even wish that the North Stars were still the Minnesota team. But things change. Dallas supports their team, and the Wild are now the team of Minnesota. Quebec City will never again have a team named the Nordiques, and unfortunately I don't think Hartford will ever have another NHL team unless the local government really works to try to land one.

You'll be a much happier and less bitter person if you learn to change and adapt with the times rather than try to hold on to days gone by.
I know what you're trying to do here--you're trying to be objective, fair, even nice--to all the fans and teams in the south of the United States. But the fact is, you're wrong. I have spent a lot of years in the south going to school in North Carolina and living in army bases (which are all seemingly in the south). I know for a FACT that southerners are football fans and nascar fans (and basketball fans in NC) and that they JUST DON'T CARE about hockey. They don't care, they don't understand, they don't play it, they don't have youth teams. YOu can't force a population to care just by putting a team there. The hurricanes just won the stanley cup. I guarantee you if you went there, you'd see a pathetic fan-base still. The fans don't understand the game and wouldn't care if the team was put back in Hartford tomorrow. The teams are in the Southern cities to MAKE MONEY. That's it. But now with the new salary cap, even "poor" cities like Quebec City, Winnipeg, and Hartford could have a chance at keeping their teams and still competing with cash-soaked teams like the Avalanche and Rangers. Just because the team is making money doesn't mean the fans care. I swear to you. An experience in any new fancy, shiny, sparkling, strobe-light-studded southern arena doesn't compare to the fans' passionate cheering at northern rinks. And it's not because we're better people but because we genuinely care about the game of hockey and southerners don't. And the biggest statement I have to make here is NO! the south will never learn. They are football fans ! They're not going to "eventually" bleed hockey like northerners do. Won't happen. I just went to the Thrashers opening night last night. It was pathetic. The only time the crowd made noise was when the announcer TOLD them to. And that faded fast. The fans watched dumbfounded, clueless. I felt like I was watching a junior high school game at 2am at the Rinx in Hauppauge, NY! The noise level was comparable. I apologize for the rambling rant but bottom line, put teams in the north where they belong and make a step at returning hockey to what it was and what it SHOULD be! Not just a money making heap of players and fans who don't care.

and p.s. NO ONE posted as to what they know about Quebec City getting the Nords back??

41 - 53 of 53 Posts