Hockey Fan Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Yeah the whole Mrazek thing really sucks for him, as he'd probably have been the starter. It's amazing the season he is having in the OHL. I bet that Nestrasil does make the team, didn't he last year? Jarnkrok is a lock for Sweden, but Almquist has a small chance of not making it, I think. I'll be surprised if Callahan makes team USA, but it would be pretty cool. I'm really interested in seeing what Pulkkinen can do, seems like the steal of last years draft at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Well, Almqvist was cut from Team Sweden after all - they wanted size on the backend. At least Järnkrok made it. Should be an interesting tournament to watch - especially Sweden and Finland. Definitely want to see what Järnkrok and Pulkkinen can do on smaller ice rinks. I think you're going to see a ton of highlights with Pulkkinen in them if he plays half as well as he has for Jokerit in the games I've watched this season. Just a plain nasty shot.

Check out the laser of a shot he unleashes at around 1:30 in this video: http://www.nelonen.fi/ohjelmat/sm-liiga/etusivu?vt=video&vid=115805

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/02/red_wings_sign_jan_mursak_to_t.html

The Detroit Red Wings have signed forward Jan Mursak to a two-year contract extension.

Mursak made a good impression on the club during a 17-game stint in Detroit this season as injury replacement. He skated fast and hard, went to the net and battled in the high-traffic areas. He he had one goal, no assists and a minus-3 rating.

He was reassigned to the Grand Rapids Griffins earlier this week, after missing a week with bruised toes.

The Red Wings selected Mursak in the sixth round of the 2006 entry draft (182nd overall). He is one of only two Slovenian-born players to skate in the NHL (Los Angeles Kings center Anze Kopitar is the other).

Mursak, 23, has 11 goals and 25 points in 36 games with the Griffins. He is out of minor-league options next season, so he must earn a spot on the NHL roster.
While he didn't contribute a whole lot offensively, I really think that Mursak proved that he's very close to being a legitimate NHL player with how he played when called up this season. It's really impressive to see how far his defensive game has come since he started in the AHL. Hope he keeps working hard.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=557195&navid=DL|DET|home

Gustav Nyquist, the Red Wings’ fourth-round draft pick in 2008, and the University of Maine’s leading scorer for each of the past three seasons, has signed a two-year entry-level contract with the NHL club.

A 21-year-old economics major from Malmo, Sweden, Nyquist is again a top 10 finalist for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award. Last season, he finished as a runner-up to Wisconsin’s Blake Geoffrion.

Nyquist becomes the eighth Red Wings’ prospect – who was selected in one of the last five amateur drafts – to sign a pro contract with the organization. The others are Cory Emmerton (second-Round, 2006), Jan Mursak (sixth, 2006), Logan Pyett (seventh, 2006), Brendan Smith (first, 2007), Joakim Andersson (third, 2007), Thomas McCollum (first, 2008), and Tomas Tatar (second, 2009).

In three NCAA seasons, Nyquist scored 50 goals with 94 assists in 113 games. As a sophomore, the 5-foot-11 forward led the nation in scoring with 19 goals and 42 assists. As a rookie, Nyquist became the first freshman in 17 seasons to lead the Black Bears in scoring since Paul Kariya.

Nyquist, who led Maine with 18 goals and 33 assists this year, will now report to the Red Wings’ American Hockey League affiliate in Grand Rapids.
Also, don't forget to vote for Nyquist for the Hobey Baker award (even though Frattin has a huge lead).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts