Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
Nov 25, 2006, 7:34 AM EST

(CP) - The Prince Albert Raiders got their ninth win of the season Friday - a drastic improvement over last season, when they held the same number of wins until the dying days of 2005.

Rookie forward Andy Smith had the game-winning goal as the Prince Albert Raiders nabbed the win, defeating the Red Deer Rebels 2-1 in Western Hockey League action on Friday night

The past is not something Raiders head coach Peter Anholt is dwelling on.

"I don't even think of last year. Last year is done," he said. "I thought we played a real strong game tonight and I thought (we) did a real good job against (Rebels leading scorer Martin) Hanzal.

"It just shows what can happen when you play a real controlled, real smart game."

For Raiders goalie Jesse Deckert, the win was as much about redemption as anything. The Rebels scored six goals on Deckert in his return to the Raiders from pro camp back in September, a game he refers to as one of his most embarrassing moments.

"I wanted to show (Rebels coach/general manager Brent) Sutter and all those guys that that's not how I play," he said referring to the Sept. 27 game, a 6-3 loss.

It also brought what Deckert says was some much-needed confidence.

"Tonight helped a lot," he said. "The last three games I felt like I played not bad but certainly not as well as I could have."

Deckert made 28 saves Friday.

Elsewhere in WHL action Friday, it was: Kamloops 4, Spokane 3 (SO); Regina 3, Kelowna 1; Moose Jaw 4, Kootenay 2; Prince George 5, Chilliwack 0; Vancouver 5, Tri-City 1; Brandon 2, Saskatoon 1; Medicine Hat 6, Lethbridge 4; and Everett 2, Seattle 1.

At Prince Albert, Sask., Mike Gauthier had the other goal for the Raiders (9-14-2-1).

Hanzal added to his league-leading point total with the lone goal for the Rebels (15-9-2-1).

FULL STORY

1 - 1 of 1 Posts