Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSN.ca Staff
7/24/2006 10:25:06 PM

The Nashville Predators issued a statement regarding the status of goaltender Tomas Vokoun on Monday. Vokoun has been undergoing treatment for a blood condition called pelvic thrombophlebitis.

''Today Tomas had a follow-up appointment at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota in which his status was reviewed,'' said executive vice president and general manager David Poile. ''The information that we received indicates that his situation has stabilized and was likely a result of a childhood accident as opposed to a more recent development. While we will continue monitoring his status, there will be no on-going treatment of the condition. Tomas will no longer be taking blood-thinning medication and he has been given complete clearance to return to action.''

An MRI scan in April found blood clots throughout Vokoun's abdomen and pelvic area. Vokoun was hospitalized immediately and put on blood thinning shots and pills to reduce the life-threatening clots.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
And for Hockey... and himself of course. :)

Who knows what could have happened when they played San Jose. The Preds couldn't score at even strength, but maybe they were concentrating too much on defence? I know that Yanic Perreault was scratched until the last game where they got eliminated becuase they found him to be a liablity in his own end. Or was San Jose just too big, too strong, and just as fast? The Sharks had quite a team last year.

Anyway, good to see that Vokoun's returning. I remember Yushkevich had a blood clot in 2002, and it took him out the rest of the year. It can be very dangerous if not properly addressed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nothing against Mason(He played as good as you'd want a backup to play)....but Vokoun was the backbone of the Preds just as much as Koivu was the backbone of the Canadiens.

Definetly like this teams chances should he remain healthy.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Vokoun cleared to play

Predators goalie Tomas Vokoun was cleared by doctors to return to the team following a late-season health problem that forced him to miss the playoffs.

Vokoun was diagnosed in April with pelvic thrombophlebitis, a rare blood condition that caused blood clots in his abdomen.

"The information that we received indicates that his situation has stabilized and was likely a result of a childhood accident as opposed to a more recent development," Predators general manager David Poile said in a statement.

"While we will continue monitoring his status, there will be no ongoing treatment of the condition."

Vokoun will no longer be required to take blood-thinning medication to clear the blood clots.
this is good news for the preds, and the fans of course;)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I think this is great news, I was hoping he would come back. It would have been sad to see his career end like that or even his life:( .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts