1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday, 08/01/07
By JOHN GLENNON
Staff Writer

The recent signing of forward Martin Gelinas means the Predators' payroll has edged above the NHL's salary-cap minimum for next season.

Gelinas' $1.25 million contract, along with some bonus clauses included in the deal, pushed the salary-cap figure of the Predators to just under $35 million, which is slightly higher than the league's floor of $34.3 million.

But don't expect the Predators to just sit tight with their current roster.

Nashville has 24 players it believes should be on the NHL roster — 14 forwards, eight defensemen and two goalies. Only 23 can be carried on the roster during the regular season.

So if everyone stays healthy as the regular season nears, some kind of trade is likely.

"Something has to give,'' General Manager David Poile said, adding that movement could come either at the forward or defense positions.

"I could go either way, with the combination of the coaches' preference as to where we have better players, where we need depth, where we're healthiest. There could be any number of reasons we pick one player over another — it could be age, could be potential, asset value.''

Defense has depth

The Predators appear to be deepest at defense, where Kevin Klein's three years of minor-league experience would seem to have him ready to make the jump to the NHL, and in the third- and fourth-line forward positions, thanks to the likes of Vern Fiddler, Darcy Hordichuk, Scott Nichol, Jerred Smithson and Jordin Tootoo among others.

While he evaluates the situation with his coaches, Poile believes the slightly overstocked roster should make for spirited sessions when training camp begins Sept. 13.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
237 Posts
Gelinas should be a good addition.

Most fans in Milwaukee that I have heard from think that Klein will be traded before the season starts.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
It's one of the biggest things about this CBA that I don't agree with. Why bother with a salary floor? I mean the teams that were barely getting by with the old rules are having a terrible time now being made to spend the floor limit. If I remember it right there were 3 teams that didn't spend as much before the strike as they were forced to after the strike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts