1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

PM Harper calls Doan to offer support
TSN.ca Staff w/files from CP
5/4/2007 2:05:48 PM

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper called Shane Doan in Russia on Friday, TSN has learned.

Although the details of the call were not revealed, sources say the Prime Minister called Doan as a gesture of support for the embattled Team Canada captain.

During the call, which took place early Friday afternoon Canadian time, Harper wished Doan and Team Canada well in the IIHF World Hockey Championship currently underway in Moscow.

The call comes one day after Hockey Canada officials defended their decision to name Doan the captain of Team Canada before a group of politicians on Parliament Hill.

On Thursday, Harper suggested enough has been said about the issue and that it was time to move on.

"Whatever's been needed to be aired has been aired, I think common sense now has prevailed and what Canadians want is to get on with supporting Team Canada."

FULL STORY

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Of course Harper is looking for brownie points here, but good on him anyway!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yeah, good of him to do it, but why wait so late? I think he should have stepped up to the plate as soon as he heard the government officials stepping in and shot it down right then. Why wait until the storm has cleared?

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shady82 said:
Yeah, good of him to do it, but why wait so late? I think he should have stepped up to the plate as soon as he heard the government officials stepping in and shot it down right then. Why wait until the storm has cleared?
True, but there's still the court hearings, and hopefully this will help with those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts