Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys!!! im from Australia and im a keen follower of the hockey and i go for the anaheim ducks, i started watching hockey this year and always go onto the website to check out the latest scores.

One thing im still not sure about is which team makes the playoffs each season? how does it work and how do they determine who will be in the playoffs or not, because i have been looking at past seasons and for some reason teams with less points than others make the playoffs.

Could someone please explain to me how it works? thanks

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
to HockeyForum.com anaheim_aussie!!

It's the top 8 teams from each Conference (Eastern & Western) that makes it to the playoffs.

If you check out this link it will explain in more detail about ties and such.

If you have any more questions, please, don't hesitate to ask!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for that panoo, still it is a little confusing because why are san jose currently ranked 4th in the conference this year with 28 points while minnesota and detroit have less point than san jose but are higher than them ????????

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
anaheim_aussie said:
thanks for that panoo, still it is a little confusing because why are san jose currently ranked 4th in the conference this year with 28 points while minnesota and detroit have less point than san jose but are higher than them ????????
Sorry, I should have said, each of the division leaders go 1, 2, 3, then it's the next 5 from there with the most points in the conference, that go to the playoffs.​

Detroit, Minnesota & Anaheim, lead their divisions. Anaheim leads the conference (by the scale below), and San Jose is second in their division, behind Anaheim, thus 4th place right now. I hope this makes it a little more clearer for you? But if it's not, don't hesitate to ask more questions, it's not a problem. :D

CENTRAL DIV. ---------- GP - W - L - OT - PTS
DETROIT RED WINGS - 17 - 12 - 4 - 1 --- 25​

NORTHWEST DIV. --- GP -- W - L - OT - PTS
MINNESOTA WILD -- 17 -- 11 - 6 - 0 --- 22​

PACIFIC DIV. -------- GP - W - L - OT - PTS
ANAHEIM DUCKS --- 19 - 13 - 2 - 4 --- 30
SAN JOSE SHARKS - 20 - 14 - 6 - 0 --- 28​

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now that makes it alot easier thanks alot for that!!!

So which hockey team do you go for? and who is your early tip for the stanley cup? anaheim?

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
anaheim_aussie said:
now that makes it alot easier thanks alot for that!!!

So which hockey team do you go for? and who is your early tip for the stanley cup? anaheim?
Yeah, sorry about that, I should have posted it that way right off the bat!! I'm glad you understand now though!! :thumbsup:

My team is Ottawa, cough, cough!! Their in my home town, plus it's been great watching them grow from nothing!! :thumbsup:

I strongly believe that it's going to be Anaheim or San Jose this year?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
those 2 teams are looking good at this stage. But it is a long long season and still a few twists and turns to go. But i think anaheim have a great team, their defesive line is awesome and they have great finishers in selanne and kunitz and to have mcdonald and getzlaf their assisting is also a bonus.

Pittsburgh have been a suprise this year havnt they? they have suprised some teams and are doing better than most expected them to do? what do you think about them..? only a matter of time before they crumble or can they keep it up?

·
We Are All Canucks
2,485 Posts
anaheim_aussie said:
those 2 teams are looking good at this stage. But it is a long long season and still a few twists and turns to go. But i think anaheim have a great team, their defesive line is awesome and they have great finishers in selanne and kunitz and to have mcdonald and getzlaf their assisting is also a bonus.

Pittsburgh have been a suprise this year havnt they? they have suprised some teams and are doing better than most expected them to do? what do you think about them..? only a matter of time before they crumble or can they keep it up?
Doesnt matter how pittsburgh does this year because in the next few years they're going to be winning a bunch of stanley cups, and hopefully they will be moved to canada.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
anaheim_aussie said:

Even if Pittsburgh were to get into the playoffs, they won't go anywhere.

Like Canuck said, it will take the next 4-5 years before they really show up for any playoff runs, and that's if they can keep the core of young players they have now?

·
Registered
426 Posts
The Pens stadium is getting old and they need a new 1,but if the money isn't brought up the new owner has intrest in moving the Pens somewhere in southern Ontario.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Rumour has it that the Pens will be moved likely into the Greater Toronto Area as they can't get a new building built in Pittsburg and the Mellon Arena is too old a building to make enough money. Old buildings lack things like luxury boxes, high profile concessions and other money making opportunities.

Other teams on the moving block include Florida, Nashville, even lately I've heard talk of the Blues listening for moving offers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts