Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I am very excited that the Yotes are in the playoffs and could potentially win game 7 vs Detroit I was thinking about what they will do later on, after the Stanley Cup. I was considering their needs based on their play style and who they may or may not have come next season. I really like their current team, and Upshall (while he wasn't injured) in my personal opinion will continue his success next year that he had this year. All the below mentioned players info are from nhlnumbers.com so I'm sure Ill be missing guys who could be coming up as RFAs.

Bryzy is going to be a UFA, though I expect he will resign, and should we see it fit, LaBarbera (who is also a UFA). It might not be a bad idea to to try out Montoya, Tordjman, or Gistedt as Byrzgalov's backup. Not real sure which one of them we would take, I would think Montoya.

Up front we have a mix of Lombardi, Lang, Stempniak, and Nokelainen beocming UFAs at the end of the season. Upshall, Hanzal, Winnik, and Wolski become RFAs. Of that list of 8 guys I would want to bring all of them back. They all worked hard and did the best they could (some for the short time they were able to play here). However we do have guys that need to come up from our farm system and maybe I would drop Lang off that list to make room.

Defense is my biggest question for this team, other than our horrendous PP. Morris, Michalik, Acoin, and Schneider become UFAs. Morris continues to play well for the Phoenix organization and I'm unsure if I would want to resign him or move him to make room. I would love to see Michalik back as a Yote but I have heard rumors that he is interested in moving. Maybe a strong playoff push will change his mind. Acoin has also been solid for Phoenix, even with his age showing its rage. Last is Schneider, while I like him I wouldn't bring him back for another campaign, hes just getting too old and isn't a regular in the lineup anyway.

Lepisto and Schlemko are the only RFAs worth mentioning (to me anyhow). Either could be a good 2nd line filler or 3rd liner next year so it might be good for us to bring them back, assuming the money is right.

As it stands, I don't for see Phoenix really picking up anything new unless they come across something they see as spectacular. They have some Youth that are about to be, if not already, ready to join the big club. I wouldn't mind getting a Ray Whitney, Tomas Plekanec, or Matt Cullen to help try and establish our PP. Plekanec would be my only question because I'm not real sure how he is defensively, never really watched too many Montreal games. From what I have seen of Cullen and Whitney, they should be able to fit into our system and help boost our PP. I'm sure our blue line will mostly be the likes of Yandle, Vandermeer, Jovo, Sauer, Michalik (hopefully), and Morris. Any injuries could give playing time to Schlemko, Lepisto, Ahnelov, with any luck Ekman-Larsen, or maybe even Stone or Summers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
with the future in mind and the reinsdorf deal set to go ahead think we need to activley pursue a 'superstar' type of player, even though the coyotes had an amazing season at times this season and especially in games 5 and 7 against the redwings we had no player who can make that difference that win's you them hard fought games, when the redwings needed it the star players (lidsturm, zetterberg, datsyuk)came up and delivered when there backs were against the walls and thats what you need in a team thats gonna go all the way.
one player maybe two would be enough to do this and to keep the core of the squad around would benifit this move, maybe a big free agent move on july 1st or trade which could include one of our first round picks and say a big salary earner like a jovo( he would have to waiver his no trade claues first mind). think players like ekman larsson, turris and mclean can breakin the roster this year and have players like summers stone and ross as back up if needed.

players to leave..... thinking lang and schnieder will hang up the skates, mickalek does look like he will resign, there are a few players we need to tie up to 2year contract and quickly lombardi, bryz and fiddler spring to mind.........

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can almost see Bryzy spending a majority of his NHL Carrier here. Lombardi is a solid 2nd line center, but then again so is Hanzal. We tried the superstar center thing with Jokinen but it didnt pan out. I think we should give it another shot but this time look to pick up a guy like Jeff Carter. Still young but has the definate ability to score goals and run the #1 line. In fact with Phili's goalie situation this could work.

To Phi:
Phoenix 1st (keep the Calgry 1st)
Montoya or Tordjman or Gistedt
Purcha
Another prospect of some sort

To Phx:
Jeff Carter

·
Registered
121 Posts
would be a good trade but maybe take the prospect out of it to make it agood trade for phoenix

I can almost see Bryzy spending a majority of his NHL Carrier here. Lombardi is a solid 2nd line center, but then again so is Hanzal. We tried the superstar center thing with Jokinen but it didnt pan out. I think we should give it another shot but this time look to pick up a guy like Jeff Carter. Still young but has the definate ability to score goals and run the #1 line. In fact with Phili's goalie situation this could work.

To Phi:
Phoenix 1st (keep the Calgry 1st)
Montoya or Tordjman or Gistedt
Purcha
Another prospect of some sort

To Phx:
Jeff Carter

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I dont think without it Phili would be willing to part with Carter. Like I said, hes a proven player and we would be giving them a bunch of guys that would need to be built into NHL calibre players.

·
Registered
121 Posts
other we could look at plekanec at the canadians, mikko koivu at the wild or even roy from buffalo. just need that game changing player for next year and we can advance further in the playoffs

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the problem with Plekanec, Koivu, and Roy is that they are smaller players. I think someone bigger would be more benficial. While Carter isnt that big he is bigger and a more defined goal scorer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
suppose we have lost alot of size up front in the last couple of years, we just need that of time points scorer, hope don malony can get a big salary cap and maybe trade for a good player or to

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or even find someone on the FA market that he can bring in without losing any of our assets. That would be most desired, but I dont know who will be a FA that fits the bill. I would have to go look through NHLNumbers.com.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts