Hockey Fan Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
FF, I don't surf Russian websites. I went to the Hockey News website that listed Rado went to this team. Eurohockey.net has links to a lot teams overseas, just checked to see if his team was listed and it was. I could translate it but I don't feel like it. Aftonbladet in Sweden runs stories on Forsberg every couple of days. Never know what you will find.:wink

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
One Flyer limping before camp opens

Posted on Fri, Sep. 09, 2005

One Flyer limping before camp opens

By Tim Panaccio

Inquirer Staff Writer

Training camp officially opens Tuesday for the Flyers, yet they already have had one scare.

Defenseman Derian Hatcher returned to Philadelphia late Wednesday night from the U.S. team's Olympic training camp in Colorado Springs, Colo., a day early after suffering a pulled hamstring and tweaking his left knee.

Hatcher underwent an MRI yesterday at Pennsylvania Hospital. Jim McCrossin, the Flyers' head trainer, said the club had not gotten the results.

"Derian didn't seem overly concerned," said assistant general manager Paul Holmgren, who returned yesterday from Colorado Springs, where he serves as assistant GM of the U.S. team.

The good news for Hatcher was that he tweaked his left knee and not his surgically repaired right knee. A torn right anterior cruciate ligament caused him to miss 64 games with Detroit in 2003-04. He signed a four-year, $14 million contract with the Flyers as a free agent last month.

Teammates Robert Esche and Mike Knuble spoke to Hatcher on Wednesday and were convinced that he wasn't seriously injured.

"He was walking around Wednesday, so it didn't seem serious," Esche said.

The 33-year-old defenseman pulled a hamstring muscle and tweaked the knee Tuesday in practice when he was hooked from behind and fell awkwardly onto the ice. On Wednesday, Hatcher tried to skate and could not, ending his practice.

Trainers in Colorado suggested that he return to Philadelphia for follow-up care because the Flyers' camp will open in a few days.

Benefit-game tickets. Citing overwhelming demand, the Flyers said that tickets to the Flyers-Phantoms game to benefit the American Red Cross/Hurricane Katrina Disaster Fund will be available at 9 a.m. tomorrow at the Flyers Skate Zone in Voorhees, Camden County. The limit is eight tickets per person. The game, scheduled for 7 p.m. Sunday at the Skate Zone, will be general-admission seating only. All tickets are $10.

Loose pucks. Goalie Antero Niittymaki and his wife, Miina, are the proud parents of a 7-pound, 15-ounce boy named Aatu who was born at Virtua West Jersey Hospital in Voorhees at 7 p.m. Wednesday. It's their first child... . So, what did defenseman Mike Rathje do during the lockout? He drove an 18-wheeler for his father's trucking company.

Inquirer

It's minor.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Kapanen Injures Shoulder, Out 10 Weeks

Flyers forward Sami Kapanen will miss the next 10 weeks after injuring his right shoulder. Kapanen will have surgery next week to repair the shoulder. Below are comments from Flyers General Manager Bob Clarke as well as Kapanen.

Bob Clarke

“Sami last week had a collision with one of our players when they were fooling around. He hurt his shoulder and had an MRI performed on him yesterday. The results were that he’s got a slap tear, they call that, and a partial thickness tear of his rotator cuff. He’ll have surgery early next week, and will miss approximately 10 weeks from the date of surgery.

“Sami is going to see [Flyers team physician Dr. Peter DeLuca] this afternoon, and it looks like they’ll do it on Tuesday.”

Sami Kapanen

“I guess it was about three or four weeks back. I think I kind of fell down on my shoulder. I can’t even finger point any hits in the past, I don’t know how many weeks we’ve been skating. It’s been sore ever since then. I still have been able to do the scrimmages and all that, but I guess it’s time to fix it.”

On having the option to have the surgery:
“I think there’s a couple weeks now where we don’t play any regular season games, so it kind of shortens up the time you’re going to miss in the season. I think it’s better to fix it now than to try and play with a bad shoulder and get to the point where it needs to be fixed in the middle of the season and be in a bad spot going into the playoffs.”

On it being frustrating, after having missed last season:
“It’s not just that. I just got my knee fixed over the summer and I’ve been rehabbing almost two months with that. I finally, last month, have been feeling really good skating wise, and feel like I’m in good shape I’m just anxious to get back with the new signings and the new rules. Being away from the game for a year, adding all of those up and not being able to play in the next couple months is going to be hard.”

Thursday, September 15, 2005

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Flyers Sign Forward Brian Savage

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have signed 6’1”, 200-pound unrestricted free agent left wing Brian Savage to a one-year contract, according to club General Manager Bob Clarke. Per club policy, financial terms were not disclosed.

"We felt that he has been a really good goal scorer in the National Hockey League, has good speed and is a skilled hockey player,” said Clarke in making the announcement. “Losing (Sami) Kapanen (due to injury) for at least two months leaves us shallow at forward, so we thought that getting a player like Savage would really help our team.”

Savage, 34, did not play during the 2004-05 season. During the 2003-04 season, he recorded 16 goals and 16 assists for 32 points and 38 penalty minutes in 74 regular season games for the Phoenix Coyotes and St. Louis Blues.

Over parts of 11 NHL seasons (from 1993-94 through 2003-04) with the Montreal Canadiens, Phoenix and St. Louis, Savage has recorded 183 goals and 162 assists for 345 points and 293 penalty minutes in 608 regular season games. The five-time 20-goal scorer was originally drafted from Miami University by Montreal in the eighth round (171st overall) of the 1991 NHL Entry Draft.

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pressbox/archive/2131.asp

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I'm not sure if I should be encouraged or discouraged by what's going on in Philly. Normally I would rejoice that Forsberg, Hatcher, and Kapanen have all been hurt (although none look major), but on the other hand the Flyers could be getting all their injuries out of the way early, and could be healthy the rest of the season.:whis:

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It's not very thrilling with the injuries but Derian should be back in a few days, Peter doesn't have long as well. Savage is ok because he usually produces in October as everyone knows. This situation gives our young guys (Sim, Sharp, Carter, Richards, Umberger) a chance to really step up and show that they can be a good player on this team. It's not the best situation but what can you do.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I'd assume, as of now, Sharp will be the odd man out once Sami is healthy. Judging by how Savage is doing now, I say try to trade him for a decent defenceman. You know something isn't right when you have Therien as a top 6 D-man. I think Sharp could be a real help to the team if he was given more ice time.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
this is something i heard from somebody that they heard from somebody else, but rumors are that keith primeau will not return to the flyers lineup this year, after constantly suffering headaches and dizziness ever since he received that concussion. also, simon gagne was said to have been offered the "C", but he declined it.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
If the Primeau rumor is true, it could be a big loss for the Flyers. He doesn't put up a lot of points, but his leadership and physical presence could really help late in the season and into the playoffs. As much as I don't like the Flyers, I respect Primeau quite a bit, and hope he comes back this season.

I can't believe I just said that...:biggrin:

·
HF-MOTM Winner - Apr 08
6,349 Posts
philadelphiaflyers.com still says rathje is out indefinately. i've been reading that he might be ready to go tomorrow in Tampa Bay. Anybody have any updates? I want to see how soon we get to see Rathje taken to school like Hatcher last night.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts