Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

TSN.ca with CP files

7/27/2005 3:47:51 PM

Less than a week after cutting part of their past, the Philadelphia Flyers have agreed tp terms with two players who they believe are their future.

The Flyers and forwards Jeff Carter and Mike Richards agreed to terms on Wednesday.

"It's huge news for us," Flyers coach Hitch told Comcast. "They're important players for us and getting them done is a good feeling."

Carter, who was named to the all-star team at the world junior tournament, tallied 74 points in 55 games with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, scoring 34 goals.

Richards, who was captain of the Canadian junior team that won a gold medal in January, recorded 58 points with 22 goals for the Kitchener Rangers last season.

Carter, from London, Ont., and Richards, from Kenora, Ont., indicated their willingness to be part of the Flyers' organization this spring by signing temporary contracts with the Flyers' farm team, the Philadelphia Phantoms, after their junior seasons ended. They helped the Phantoms win an AHL championship.

Carter was the AHL's leading scorer in the post-season with 12 goals and 11 assists in 21 games.

Carter was the 11th overall pick in the 2003 draft, while Richards was taken 24th in the same year

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=131587

:wavetowel Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Flyers Sign Four Draft Picks

Jeff Carter and Mike Richards among signees

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have signed four recent draft choices to contracts, according to club General Manager Bob Clarke. Centers Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, left wing Triston Grant and defenseman Alexandre Picard have each signed a three-year entry-level contract.

“We all know Jeff Carter and Mike Richards,” said Clarke. “They are two of the top young players coming into the National Hockey League and we hope that they will be a big part of our team this year and in the future. Triston Grant played in Vancouver and had a really good season. He will go to the Phantoms and start his development. He is a tough kid who can play.”

Carter, 20, recorded 34 goals and 40 assists for 74 points and 40 penalty minutes in 55 regular season games for the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds of the Ontario Hockey League this past season. The 6’3”, 207-pound center led the team in goals (tied for 12th in the OHL), points (tied for 18th in the OHL), plus/minus (+20) and power play goals (14) and was tied for first on the team in assists. A native of London, Ontario, Carter was named to the Ontario Hockey League All-Star Team for the second consecutive season (First Team following the 2004-05 season and Second Team following the 2003-04 season) and won the William Hanley Trophy as the OHL’s Most Sportsmanlike Player for the 2004-05 season. In the OHL 2004-05 Coaches Poll - Western Conference, Carter won two categories (“Smartest Player” and “Hardest Shot”).

At the conclusion of Sault Ste. Marie’s season, Carter joined the Flyers’ American Hockey League affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms. He posted an assist in three regular season games and 23 points (12G,11A) in 21 playoff games to help the Phantoms win the Calder Cup. His 23 points and 12 goals in the playoffs led the AHL.

For the second consecutive year, Carter was named to the IIHF World Junior Championship All- Tournament Team. He posted 10 points (7G,3A) in six games as Canada won the tournament.

In four seasons with the Greyhounds (2001-02 through 2004-05), Carter registered 123 goals and 123 assists for 246 points and 133 penalty minutes in 236 regular season games and served as the Greyhounds’ captain for the last two seasons.

Carter was selected by the Flyers in the first round (11th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Grant, 21, registered 20 goals and 12 assists for 32 points and 193 penalty minutes in 70 regular season games for the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League this past season. His 193 penalty minutes were second on the team. A native of Neepawa, Manitoba, Grant won the Giants’ Inspirational Leader Award for the 2004-05 season. The 6’2”, 190-pound left wing was selected by the Flyers in the ninth round (286th overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.

Picard, 20, recorded 15 goals and 23 assists for 38 points and 46 penalty minutes in 68 regular season games for the Halifax Mooseheads of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League this past season. In 13 playoff games, the 6’2”, 214-pound defenseman posted six points (1G,5A) and a team-best +10 plus/minus rating as Halifax advanced to the QMJHL Finals. Picard was named Halifax’s Most Valuable Player for the 2004-05 season.

At the conclusion of Halifax’s season, Picard also joined the Phantoms and was scoreless in two games of the Calder Cup Finals.

Over four seasons in the QMJHL with Halifax and Cape Breton (2001-02 through 2004-05), Picard recorded 31 goals and 91 assists for 122 points and 182 penalty minutes in 255 regular season games. He was drafted by the Flyers in the third round (85th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Richards, 20, posted 58 points (22G,36A) and 75 penalty minutes in 43 regular season games for the Kitchener Rangers of the OHL this past season. He finished third on the team in assists and points and was tied for second in the OHL in shorthanded goals with five. The 5’11”, 195-pound center was named to the OHL Second All-Star Team following the 2004-05 season. In the OHL 2004-05 Coaches Poll - Western Conference, Richards won two categories (“Best on Faceoffs” and “Best Penalty Killer”).

In 15 playoff games, Richards recorded 11 goals and 17 assists for 28 points. His 28 points were third in the OHL as Kitchener advanced to Western Conference Championship series. At the conclusion of Kitchener’s season, Richards also joined the Phantoms. He registered 15 points (7G,8A) in 14 playoff games.

Richards was the captain of Team Canada at the 2005 IIHF World Junior Championships, recording five points (1G,4A) in six games.

In four seasons with the Rangers (2001-02 through 2004-05), Richards registered 115 goals and 177 assists for 292 points and 308 penalty minutes in 233 regular season games. He served as Kitchener’s captain for the last two seasons and was named to the Memorial Cup All-Star Team as the Rangers won the Memorial Cup in 2003.

Richards was selected by the Flyers in the first round (24th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Flyers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I cannot waite to see these 2 on the ice. Along with alot of the other younger Flyers. The future is very bright if this team can stay tjogether and gel. :hooray2:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
good luck to these two players who have to play for bob clarke for the next three years. i can't believe they signed for less than the max. i mean, sure they don't really deserve it but they could have gotten it somewhere else and then they woudln't have had to put up with clarke's doctors lying to them about their injuries while clarke calls them out in the press for being heartless cowards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like the idea of players playing for the love of the game then for $ any day. They signed for the league max, just no team bonuses. Could of they made more money some where else? Maybe...But would they be on a winning team? Unlikely.
I think this is what other teams will follow now that the Flyers have done it.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Derian Hatcher in Philly?

From Flyerphans:

CupnPhilly

Derian Hatcher IS IN TOWN
Doesn't mean he's "100%" coming here or its a "done deal" or you can "book it".

Just take it for what its worth, he's probably checking out the facilities tomorrow. Who knows?

Friend of mine who works in Voorhees saw him out to dinner tonight with a woman. So not with Clarke or Hitch. Just with some dame. Is he married? I have no clue.

I can't wait for this week!

Flyerphans

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why would the Flyers want an injury prone pylon like Hatcher? His best years certainly aren't ahead of him.

There's going to be plenty of cheaper, younger, more physical d-man available tomorrow that will be a *much* better fit in Philly than Hatcher.

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
MadDevil said:
I hope they do sign Hatcher, then most of the Devils could blow right by him every time they play.:haha:
And you know that's exactly what would happen! :haha: The new NHL is about SPEED! Something that Hatcher has never been known for.

Tom

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The Flyers have plenty of quick mobile defenseman especially with Meyer and Jones coming up with Seidenberg and Pitkanen and Johnsson, Desjardins isnt really slow either, but all these guys are undersized and mostly puck movers, we need atleast 1 big, hard hitting defenseman, so I dont see why not, if we can sign Hatcher for like 1.5-2 million it wont be so bad he would definetly bolster our blue line, plus hes a veteran.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree the Flyers need a physical d-man to complement the guys they already have; I just don't think Hatcher's the right guy. I think Foote, Aucoin, or Rathje would be better fits than Hatcher. Yes, Hatcher can dominate when he's on his game, but that'll happen less and less now. He was a non-factor in a Red Wings jersey. Yeah, he only played 27 games with them due to injury, but big players step up in the playoffs and he just vanished (other than his stupid penalties, which he takes a lot of).

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Phillyburbs.com mentions there may be an announcement today?

Philly burbs article mentions an announcement of something today?

Flyers looking for big-name defender
By WAYNE FISH
phillyBurbs.com

While the Flyers had nothing official to announce in the way of free agent signings Monday night, this much we do know: General manager Bob Clarke and his staff worked well past the dinner hour in team offices at Voorhees.

It's a given that the Flyers are hoping to use this free-agent signing period, which began Monday, to secure at least one big name defenseman.

The NHL released its official list of players that are now completely unrestricted and there is plenty to choose from in the way of defense.

Derian Hatcher, set free by Detroit, is near the top of the file along with Sergei Gonchar (late of Boston), Scott Niedermayer (who might not re-sign with New Jersey), Adrian Aucoin, Mike Rathje, Brian Leetch and ex-Flyer Vladimir Malakhov.

Many thought the start of the free-agent period would signal a feeding frenzy around the league. But Monday was relatively quiet. Former Toronto Maple Leafs Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts decided to sign with the Florida Panthers but those were the only big names to settle on a new address.

Knowing he only has four defensemen - Eric Desjardins, Kim Johnsson, Danny Markov and Joni Pitkanen - with extensive NHL experience, Clarke figures he needs to shore up the backline.

"Getting a defenseman or two defensemen is obviously our top priority,'' Clarke said. "We'll call the agents and find out what it's going to cost.''

Much of Monday afternoon was probably spent talking to those various agents on the phone. Even though there is a salary cap in place, agents do have one bargaining chip in that they can use one team's offer against another's.

"Obviously money is a factor,'' Clarke said. Depending on qualifying offers to some of their unsigned Group 2 restricted free agents such as Simon Gagne, Robert Esche and Johnsson, the Flyers do have at least several million dollars in cap room to use on defensemen.

"We have our own list of what our priorities are, as every team does,'' Clarke said. "It's just a matter of whether you have enough room under the cap to get them.''

There are also other big-name forwards out there, such as Mike Modano of Dallas (who played so well for Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock in the 1999 Stanley Cup championship year for the Stars) and former Flyers' No. 1 draft pick Peter Forsberg, so far unsigned by the Colorado Avalanche.

But it's a better bet the Flyers will use what limited money they have left to go after either Hatcher and/or Malakhov, who finished last season with the Flyers but headed home to Russia for the lockout and must be talked into playing in the NHL again.

Late Monday night, Clarke told a member of the Flyers' public relations staff that "there's nothing tonight but something could be announced today [Tuesday].''

Free agents who might be drawing the Flyers' interest:

Derian Hatcher, D (Detroit): A Hitchcock protégé from '99 Cup winner.

Sergei Gonchar, D (Boston): Offensive-minded backliner.

Scott Niedermayer, D (N.J.): Norris Trophy winner, puck carrier extraordinaire.

Adrian Aucoin, D (N.Y. Islanders): League leader in minutes played.

Mike Rathje, D (San Jose): Good fit for Flyer system.

Brian Leetch, D (Toronto): At 39, would still look good on Phila. power play.

Vladimir Malakhov, D (Philadelphia): Ex-Flyer's size appealing.

Players and prospects who haven't been re-signed by the Flyers:

Sean Burke, G; Claude Lapointe, C; Marcus Ragnarsson, D; John Slaney, D; Boyd Kane, RW; Neil Little, G; Ryan Ready, LW; Nick Deschenes, Jeff Smith, Radovan Somik, Peter White.

Wayne Fish can be reached at 215-949-4215 or [email protected].

Phillyburbs

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Deal came together very quickly

Clarke lands star center within hours

By Kevin Kurz, philadelphiaflyers.com

Voorhees, NJ – Little did Flyers General Manager Bob Clarke know when he woke up on the morning of August 3, but the face of his organization was about to change with the addition of arguably the best player in the National Hockey League. Clarke got a call around noon that day, leading to a whirlwind of activity that resulted in what may be the biggest free agent signing in franchise history just hours later in Peter Forsberg.

It took everyone by surprise, including Flyers Chairman Ed Snider.

“I was stunned, to be honest with you,” said Snider. “Bob did a masterful job. He only had a couple of hours. He had a two-hour window to make the deal, one way or the other. We decided to take the gamble to go over the cap, knowing that there would be options for us to get back under. I can’t congratulate Bob Clarke enough for what he has accomplished.”

There were several offers for the man who was considered the biggest prize in the free agent market in this particularly crazy offseason. Many teams made their intentions known early on, yet Clarke still managed to outmaneuver them all for the five-time NHL All-Star and former league MVP.

In fact, Clarke himself thought that the Flyers’ roster was set after the additions a day earlier of free agent defensemen Derian Hatcher, Mike Rathje and Chris Therien. Defense was the top priority for Philadelphia, and Clarke quickly filled that need with a trio of towering blueliners on just the second day of the free agent signing period.

When Clarke spoke with Forsberg’s agent, Don Baizley, however, he had no other choice but to weigh his options.

“I think when you’re talking about a player like Forsberg, a lot of times you convince yourself that this player is so good that you’re never going to be able to get him anyway,” said Clarke. “But, [Baizley] said that he was interested in us, and he gave us a chance so we jumped at him.

“When I told you that I wasn’t going to sign anyone else (on Tuesday), that was our intent. At the time, we thought, this is who we’re going to go with. When we had a chance to get Peter, we just said we’d be dumb not to do something like that.”

While the excitement is evident with Clarke and Snider, Forsberg himself is just as happy to be coming to a team that has a legitimate chance to win the Stanley Cup. He had the opportunity to go elsewhere, but chose to go back to the team that originally drafted him in the 1991 NHL Entry Draft.

“I was talking to a few teams when Philly came in,” said Forsberg. “They came in pretty late, but when they came in I was really excited and very interested and it went really fast from there.

“It’s an organization that always has shown that it really wanted to win every year,” he said. “They always put out a good team, and it’s a classy organization. I don’t know if it puts too much pressure (on me), but of course I want to show them that I am a good player and can help the team to go as far as we can. I think there’s no question that everybody expects us to go far and hopefully win the Cup.”

With the addition of Forsberg, the salary-cap casualty turned out to be popular center Jeremy Roenick, who was traded to Los Angeles on Thursday morning in exchange for future considerations. The decision to deal Roenick was not an easy one for Clarke or Snider, but one that was necessary in this new era of economics for the NHL.

“I’m going to miss Jeremy Roenick. He was a class act for our club, and when I think of all the injuries that he played through, particularly in the playoffs the year before last, Jeremy is a heck of a guy. He also was a class act in the way he handled this whole thing, because he had a no-trade and we asked him in advance of making the deal. Jeremy was 100 percent in favor of us going forward. You don’t meet guys like that too often.”

Regardless of the unfortunate situation of having to deal Roenick, at the end of the day the Flyers are a better club on paper than they were on Tuesday. In what was supposed to be a hard situation for the so-called “big market” clubs with the new CBA, the Flyers are the early winners and Clarke’s preparedness in how to deal with the new economics has landed him the biggest prize available.

And it all happened so fast.

For Flyers ticket information and an updated seating chart, please click here or call (215) 218-PUCK (7825).

Flyers

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Johnsson, Radio, Sharp and Gagne are signed

At the press conference to introduce Derian and Mike, Clarke announced these guys have signed their QOs. Only Seidenberg and Esche are left.

Wasn't much said. Basically it was the Derian Hatcher press conference. Mike said about 2 words, is really not a good public speaker. Just asked about the rules, Hatcher's knee.

Clarke also said Johnsson, Gagne, Radivojevic and Sharp all signed their offers.

Have to say, Mike and Derian are freaking giants. They made Clarke look like a midget.

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Johnsson, Radio, Sharp and Gagne are signed

At the press conference to introduce Derian Hatcher and Mike Rathje, Clarke announced these guys have signed their QOs. Only Seidenberg and Esche are left.

Wasn't much said. Basically it was the Derian Hatcher press conference. Mike said about 2 words, is really not a good public speaker. Just asked about the rules, Hatcher's knee. Have to say, Mike and Derian are freaking giants. They made Clarke look like a midget.

I provide the link when I have it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts