Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Canadian Press
9/18/2006 3:38:36 PM

MONCTON, N.B. (CP) - No 'C' for Sidney this season.

Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Michel Therrien ended the speculation Monday, delaying for now the inevitable inheritance of the captaincy by 19-year-old superstar centre Sidney Crosby.

''As an organization we've decided this year not to have a captain,'' Therrien said after practice at the Moncton Coliseum. ''The biggest reason why is out of respect for what Mario Lemieux did for this franchise. So we decided for this year that there's no rule that we need a captain. So we'll keep doing what we did when Mario retired last year.''

That means they'll carry three alternate captains, and although Therrien wasn't ready to announce who they'll be, it's a given that Crosby is one of them.

''For me, my focus is on being a better assistant captain,'' Crosby said two hours earlier when asked about the captaincy. It wasn't clear at that point whether he knew of Therrien's decision.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

·
Registered
10 Posts
panoo2004 said:
Canadian Press
9/18/2006 3:38:36 PM

MONCTON, N.B. (CP) - No 'C' for Sidney this season.

Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Michel Therrien ended the speculation Monday, delaying for now the inevitable inheritance of the captaincy by 19-year-old superstar centre Sidney Crosby.

''As an organization we've decided this year not to have a captain,'' Therrien said after practice at the Moncton Coliseum. ''The biggest reason why is out of respect for what Mario Lemieux did for this franchise. So we decided for this year that there's no rule that we need a captain. So we'll keep doing what we did when Mario retired last year.''

That means they'll carry three alternate captains, and although Therrien wasn't ready to announce who they'll be, it's a given that Crosby is one of them.

''For me, my focus is on being a better assistant captain,'' Crosby said two hours earlier when asked about the captaincy. It wasn't clear at that point whether he knew of Therrien's decision.

TSN : NHL - Canada's Sports Leader

Crosby should go into Democrat Politics- he says everything he should say and what people wantg to hear. 'concerntrate on being a better assistant captain' where's his ambition- he should want the 'c'. :eek:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I can't blame Syd for not wanting the "C" yet, he's still so young. When you're starring old timers like Leclair in the face it'd be tough to say, "Hey, turn it up a notch."

Give him another year or two, at least the Pens have basically set it aside for him.

·
Registered
10 Posts
shookem said:
I can't blame Syd for not wanting the "C" yet, he's still so young. When you're starring old timers like Leclair in the face it'd be tough to say, "Hey, turn it up a notch."

Give him another year or two, at least the Pens have basically set it aside for him.

:cheeky4: i understand your view but to be honest it shouldnt bother leclair or anyone else who the captain is- thats down to the coach- if their good enough their old enough.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
True, but it's not the way it usually works. The NHL still has an ol' boys club feeling to it and you need to get established before anyone will give you anything.

I say, you should work off your rookie contract before before being named the team's leader.

Mind you, if Syd leads the league in GWG and is super clutch, then maybe name him the captain early.

·
Registered
10 Posts
shookem said:
True, but it's not the way it usually works. The NHL still has an ol' boys club feeling to it and you need to get established before anyone will give you anything.

I say, you should work off your rookie contract before before being named the team's leader.

Mind you, if Syd leads the league in GWG and is super clutch, then maybe name him the captain early.

:eek: i suppose were gona disagree.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts