Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Sports Network
8/5/2006 11:39:45 AM

Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - The Pittsburgh Penguins re-signed goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury to a two-year contract on Saturday.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

The 21-year old Fleury appeared in a career-high 50 games with the Penguins last season and amassed a 13-27-6 record with a 3.25 goals against average and one shutout.

He began the 2005-06 season with Pittsburgh's AHL affiliate in Wilkes- Barre/Scranton where he was 10-2 with a 1.57 GAA en route to being named the AHL's Goaltender of the Month for October.

Fleury was recalled by the Penguins on November 28 and remained with the team for the remainder of the regular season.

The Sorel, Quebec was originally drafted first overall by the Penguins in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. Fleury has appeared in 71 NHL games, posting a 17-41-8 record and a 3.36 goals against average.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Definitely a move in the right direction but I still don't think Fleury can hold the #1 spot on his own. They need a solid second goaltender. Biron would be ideal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think Fleury is still a few years away from being a clear-cut number one goaltender. I don't think signing Biron would be a good idea, because Biron would more than likely eat up most of the playing time(When you're as pricey as he is, it would be a waste of money to use him as a backup).

If Thibeault can bounce back from his disastrous season of last year(I think he will), the penguins will look alright in net.

Nonetheless, great signing for Pittsburgh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts