Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to tsn.ca
Sources tell TSN the Toronto Maple Leafs are expected to announce the signing of veteran centre Mike Peca on Tuesday.

Peca is believed to have agreed to a one-year, 2.5-million dollar contract.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Toronto's long history of bringing in old players way past their prime continues

Maybe they'll sign Ron Francis, or Patrick Roy next!

Shoot - Ken Dryden might still be available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
gocanes said:
Peca isn't past his prime. Good signing.

You're right - Peca's not past his prime. He's WAY past his prime.

This will be Peca's 12th season in the NHL. He hasn't scored more than 15 goals in a season since 01-02. Once he lost the advantage of playing with Alexi Yashin's goal scoring machine his assists dropped from 29 in 03-04 to 14 in 05-06.

Anyone on the Leafs able to score like Yashin? Didn't think so. I'm sure somebody will say Mats Sundin, which is just funny.

Everything about Peca's game - his points, his minutes, his SOGs, his age, the players he'll be playing with, they all suggest that he's well past his prime.

Is he an NHL calibur player? No question. But he's also a former great player who is now playing for the Leafs well past his prime. Toronto has an uncanny knack for doing that.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Oh man... :( Lindros would have been better at the second line position. Peca's a 3rd liner IMO. I'm willing to give hi ma chance on the team, but I'm rather hoping more for a miracle season from Kyle Wellwood, where he'll put up 60 points on the year.

As injury prone as he was, losing the Big E hurts the team. I wonder how he'll perform in Dallas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
oilers said:
Best Defensive Forward Trophy 2 Times And Great Penalty Kiiller As U Saw In Playoffs..... And Leadership... Good Signing
Peca last won the Selke Trophy four years ago. He's past his prime. He's still a good player, but this is a traditional Toronto move if there ever was one.

·
494 Posts
Im happy to see him come to the team, is this a move in the right direction? Losing the Big E and getting Peca, who knows. But i think he will have a good showing :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts