Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
494 Posts
I dont believe he is the answer.... infact, im not sure there is an answer for the leafs :thumbsdow

They need a young super star like Alexander O.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Administrator said:
I dont believe he is the answer.... infact, im not sure there is an answer for the leafs :thumbsdow

They need a young super star like Alexander O.
Why don't you feel that there is an answer for the Leafs?

With young kids such as Wellwood, Steen and Stajan making strides to become superstars, that is only the icing on the cake of reasons to look forward to this upcoming season of watching the Leafs in action.

I feel that they have an outstanding chance of making the playoffs this year. If Raycroft is back to form of two seasons prior, then that'll help make things even better for the Leafs chances.

Not only that, but if you look at it on paper, heck, even on the ice, the Leafs have one of the strongest bluelines in the NHL today. That can be quite arguably the biggest well known fact that I'm looking forward to. They may be looking to play a strong defensive style of hockey and not as offensive minded, but I feel that giving up fewer goals will be the key to their success.

Then you have Mats Sundin, Poni, Tucker, Peca, O'Neil, Pohl and the list continues for reasons why the Leafs can and most likely will succeed next season. Everyone seems to be so gloomy and not too optimistic about their future.

I think they'll do just fine. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
yes they will be great this year, Peca is just an addition to the leafs roster...he will be needed for sure... and yes their is an answer for the leafs... its not like toronto is the only team strugling either.. OV plays for washington, not a very sucessful team..but like Slick said..we have Wellwood, Steen and stajan who are young players becoming beter as they go.. time will tell..but i think they will make the playoffs.. and i hope its VS ottawa... hehe! lol

Go Leafs Go =) lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
I personally don't feel that Toronto will win a cup with Raycroft.
Peca is a monster of a player on any team hoping to go far in the playoffs, though.

I do believe that the future is very bright for leaf prospect Pogge.
I just don't see Raycroft putting an end to the leafs fans misery.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Peca is a step in the right direction, but honestly, I've been a very po'd Leafs fan for years, not just because of the drought. The reason they are in bad shape is simply because they trade away all of their early draft picks. This team needs a few young stallians with the superstar potential I saw in Brad Boyes (I saw it in him b4 he was traded, btw), and no one was more angry with the Leafs management when they traded away Boyes than me. As for Raycroft, he's a young goalie, already a plus, who has had good numbers before, look another plus. I think he'll do just fine, if not a Cup, at least a high playoff berth. Once Toronto learns how to draft well, and keep those picks, they'll begin to play better. I'm a little surprised, with all the bad draftee trades (like Boyes, whom they should've never dealt, and Rask, who they should've never dealt...both went to Boston...hmm) that it took this long for them to finally make all these changes.

=PL=

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
No, he isn't.

As much as I like Michael Peca, he's not much more than a 3rd liner really. The Leafs needed a 2nd line centerman, and keeping Lindros would have been huge for this team, because he brought the offence that Toronto needed. Now instead we'll have to hope that Welly steps up big time and fills in that hole, or that Peca plays the way he did some 4 seasons ago.

Not to mention they didn't get that top line Left-Winger they needed, or even a top six Right-Winger.

And their defence is still suspect, mostly due to Bryan McCabe still being there to potentially log top 4 d-men minutes. Something could be said for Hal Gill's foot speed, but I haven't sen him play much, so it's mostly McCabe for me now. Hopefully the new Assistant Coaches will offer to help him work on his game in the defencive end of the ice. Afterall, he is a defenceman.

And the goaltending of course is a question mark. Hopefully we'll all end up singing Rayzor's praises by mid-season.

With that said, Toronto had many holes to plug this off-season, but once again the job is half finished. They'll make the playoffs, and that's all... again.

So, IMO, Peca will probably help a bit, but it won't be nearly enough to cover the many other issues that this team had to address this off-season. I still don't think they should have signed him, despite how well he played in the playoffs. They need more than Peca... much more.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
No, he isn't.

So, IMO, Peca will probably help a bit, but it won't be nearly enough to cover the many other issues that this team had to address this off-season. I still don't think they should have signed him, despite how well he played in the playoffs. They need more than Peca... much more.
No way is he the answer to the Stanley Cup!! First of all, it takes a team to win a cup, and this is not a team, YET!!

With so many new players, it will take a couple of months to get to know each others moves, who's capable of doing what and when, after that, maybe they will start taking a run at getting into the playoffs!!!

Like BE-LEAF-ABLE said, Peca may help a bit!!!

·
494 Posts
Peca is part of the puzzle to get there and win the cup, but i think we're going to need a few more superstar players that gel before we bring that mother of a trophey home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Administrator said:
Peca is part of the puzzle to get there and win the cup, but i think we're going to need a few more superstar players that gel before we bring that mother of a trophey home.
You are right Mike Peca is a piece of the puzzle but i don't think that we necessarily need a few more superstars, as Carolina showed you can win with a team that has no real superstars but loaded with some good players. some great players and plenty of grit and character, and as Ottawa showed yet again, you can have all the talent in the world but without leadership and grit you exit meekly and early.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Raybreeze said:
You are right Mike Peca is a piece of the puzzle but i don't think that we necessarily need a few more superstars, as Carolina showed you can win with a team that has no real superstars but loaded with some good players. some great players and plenty of grit and character, and as Ottawa showed yet again, you can have all the talent in the world but without leadership and grit you exit meekly and early.
Welcome aboard Raybreeze!!!

Yeah, leadership goes a long way, just ask Toronto!! Leadership is needed to just get into the playoffs!!!! :laugh:

·
Registered
230 Posts
toronto needs to work with eachother.. it seems that last year they didnt have confidence in eachother...its like they were lacking of spirit and were being really lasy...IMO anyways..just from what i've seen...they need to work together!!! grrrr, i remember alywas swearing at the TV cuz they were playing like crap!! lol :( so hopefully peca brings something to the table lol and if its the stanley cup, then woohoo.. but doubt it lmao :p

·
Registered
98 Posts
Peca is a wonderful addition, the Leafs would be wise to add a sniper on the wing to play with Mats Sundin and a banger to play on the Crash-and-Bang (4th) line.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Peca will not be the missing peice of the puzzle for the leafs, but he will help make the leafs tougher to play against , shutting down opposing teams top guys ,playing on the pk,provide energy and hopefully score timely goals now and then. but hes not a big point getter hell provide some leadereship but the leafs r still a few years from being a real contender

1 - 15 of 15 Posts