1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leafs content with Raycroft's goaltending

Canadian Press

10/23/2006 3:55:46 PM

TORONTO (CP) - A lot of Maple Leafs fans had the pre-season jitters about Andrew Raycroft. They wondered if Toronto was getting the 2003-2004 NHL rookie of the year, or the 2005-2006 stiff.

So far, what they've got leans towards the former.

It's early yet, but the 26-year-old native of Belleville, Ont., has been solid, and head coach Paul Maurice practically gushes over his play.

"I think he's been outstanding," Maurice said Monday. "We're at a point in our year in learning our systems and, with the defence injuries we've had, that the quality of shots (Raycroft has faced) have been higher than what we hope will be the case in January.

"He's played incredibly well. On his average night, he's been real good. Other than that, he's been exceptional."
Full Story

Well... I can't deny that he's been solid. Much better than last year, no doubt about that. He's been making a lot of tough saves look quite easy.

I hope he keeps it up.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I'd say he's the biggest reason why the Leafs have gotten off to the start they have. If he keeps it up, Ferg would look great.

I think he's got it in him. Last year was the first year after the lock out and many goalies had a tough time getting used to the new rules. Raycroft is nowhere near the top tier amoung goalies in the league but he's great for the Leafs right now. I just hope the guys in front of him help him out a little more.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The last two games against Ottawa were sad to watch, but I'm not going to blame him.

I don't think any goal from the 1st game was his fault. Maybe in the 2nd he let in 2, but Spezza's was a beautiful goal, and he's scored like that quite a few times. The rest were the usual McCabe "leaving the from of the net and then coming back too late to check the player that was left all alone in the slot after he put the puck in the net" kind of goals.

And Belak. Oh my. he was only on the ice for 5 minutes, yet it was enough for him to help Ottawa with 2 goals (including 2 in his first 2 and a half minutes).

The Senators aren't stupid. They know what Leafs will fall under miniscule pressure and which ones to that they'll have to think a little more with. They've played against a some of the same defencively challeneged d-men on the team for years.

Unfortunately, Toronto doesn't learn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts