Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Florida Panthers General Manager Mike Keenan announced today that the club has agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent D Ruslan Salei on a four-year contract.

"Ruslan is a top tier defenseman who we are extremely pleased to acquire," said Keenan. "He is a big, physical, competitive player that can log a lot of ice time and will be looked upon as a leader on our blue line. It was our goal to sign an experienced defenseman and we feel we have addressed this need with the acquisitions of both Salei and Bryan Allen, helping to considerably improve our club."

Salei, 32, has appeared in 594 career NHL games, all with the Anaheim Ducks, scoring 105 points and adding 735 PIM.

The six-foot-two, 205-pound defenseman posted the best numbers of his professional career last season tallying 19 points in 78 games played, playing on the Ducks' top defensive pairing.

Before joining the Panthers, Salei was the longest tenured Anaheim player and held the franchise record for most games played by a Ducks defenseman. Salei was originally drafted by Anaheim with their first choice (ninth overall) in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft.
Source
good move by the panthers:0pouce:

·
Registered
425 Posts
This guy is a solid d-man with the ability to lay some people out for roughly $3 million a season, which isn't all that bad when you consider the average price of a defenceman this off-season. Good signing is my vote.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
WOW! nice move by the Panthers. :0pouce: They lose Luongo, but make up for it in Salei. This is probably the happiest news I've heard today. (and for the past two weeks) Although it sad to Salei leave the Ducks, (I too am a ducks fans, even though they swept my Aves)

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is good, but it also means there will be no Jovo.

The lines could be:

Bouwmeester - Salei
Van Ryn - Allen
Mezei - Montador*

*My pick, although Jackman might suit up ... he is our best offensive D IMO.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Go_Cats said:
This is good, but it also means there will be no Jovo.

The lines could be:

Bouwmeester - Salei
Van Ryn - Allen
Mezei - Montador*

*My pick, although Jackman might suit up ... he is our best offensive D IMO.
I believe that, unfortunately for Florida, Jovo signed with Phoenix. Depending on the play of the younger guys(especially Bouwmeester), that defence corps is not half bad.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Amoroq said:
Which probably signals the end of Florida's interest in Pronger
:)
Yup, and what makes this an ironic move, is Ducks lost Salei, in order to make make room for their newest player...Chris Pronger!!! :haha:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts