Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Florida finished with a 28-35-15-4 record in 2003-04.

Sportsnet.ca -- On the eve of game one of the Stanley Cup Finals, a Florida team is making a splash in the NHL, but it's not the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Sportsnet has learned Rick Dudley has been fired as general manager of the Florida Panthers.

Sources say Dudley was informed of his owner's decision this morning, ending a tenure with the Panthers that began two years ago.

Dudley becomes the second general manager dismissed this off season. Vancouver Canucks chose not to renew Brian Burke's contract a few weeks ago.

It's believed Burke, former San Jose general manager Dean Lombardi, former Rangers GM Neil Smith, former Chicago GM Mike Smith and perhaps even former Florida coach Mike Keenan could be consisdered as a replacement for Dudley.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
wow thats surpiseing, I didn't see this coming, but the team record in the last few years arent all that impressive, if they fire Burke after another playoff berth, then fireing Dudley isn't all that bad, all I know is dont hire mad mike for the job!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Well this was a surprise I wonder who will take over for him.

I think the best person for the job would be Brian Burke.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Just saw on the Score that Jacques Martin will be the new coach of the Florida Panthers and Mike Keenan will be the new Gm.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Jason said:
Just saw on the Score that Jacques Martin will be the new coach of the Florida Panthers and Mike Keenan will be the new Gm.
Mike Keenan said that he hasn't even talked with the panthers. Then again.. we're talking about Mike Keenan here.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
TSN is also sayimg it will be Keenan and Martin in Florida.

Dudley has been offered a post elsewhere in the organization. I sure hope he has to report to Keenan. Now that would be justice.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
What a huge mistake..that in naming Keenan your GM.

I remember there reading there was a power struggle going on there. The owner was friends with Keenan, but Dudley didn't want Keenan as coach..

Martin would be wise to avoid Florida..and anything to do with Keenan

Keenan..can't say enough bad about this character..what a bad direction to go with him at the helm

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
TimmyTabasco said:

I remember there reading there was a power struggle going on there. The owner was friends with Keenan, but Dudley didn't want Keenan as coach..

Keenan..can't say enough bad about this character..what a bad direction to go with him at the helm
Couldn't agree more with you on this one. Keenan coached a team to the cup in 94, but that was a pretty stacked team. Since then he has been a cancer to any team's organization. Just ask Trevor Linden what he thinks of Keenan as a head coach.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
TimmyTabasco said:

I agree with you there and with Keenan as GM two things are for sure:
(1) its only a matter of time before Keenan decides that he wants to be the coach of the Panthers again as well as the GM, he does like to control everything.
(2) Stephane Matteau will be on this team before next season starts :wink: :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts