Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Florida Panthers did not wait to see how the 2006-07 NHL season would unfold to determine its general manager's fate.

Even after an offseason of major player transactions and renewed playoff hopes, the team fired Mike Keenan on Sunday after just one full NHL campaign.

It is not clear what led to the announcement, made just days before the start of training camp. There is also no word on who will replace Keenan, though a source tells TSN that head coach Jacques Martin may consider occupying a duel role.

Keenan had three years remaining on his contract with the Panthers and leaves after working parts of four seasons with the club. He was named head coach of the Panthers on December of 2001 and held the post until November of 2003.

He returned to the team as general manager in May of 2004 and immediately made a flurry of changes to improve the club's fortunes. He hired former Ottawa bench boss and university teammate Jacques Martin as head coach and added veteran players such as forwards Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts and Chris Gratton.

The team failed to make the playoffs for a fifth straight season in 2005-06, prompting Keenan to make more dramatic moves over the summer. He swung a blockbuster deal that saw superstar netminder Roberto Luongo go to Vancouver for a package that featured power forward Todd Bertuzzi, and also signed veteran goalie Ed Belfour.

The Panthers were Keenan's seventh NHL team. He began his NHL career as head coach of the Philadelphia Flyers in 1984, and then led the Chicago Blackhawks behind the bench in 1988, guiding both teams to the Stanley Cup Final.

In 1993-94, he was hired as head coach of New York Rangers and led the franchise to its first Stanley Cup win since 1940. Keenan also served as head coach and GM as the St. Louis Blues, Vancouver Canucks, and Boston Bruins.

Keenan began his coaching career with the Peterborough Petes of the Ontario Hockey League.

More to follow.

I was not expecting this. This is a sock I guess. But A dumb trade here and there.[http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=176329&hubname=nhl

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Keenana Resigns

The veteran general manager of the Florida Panthers stepped down Sunday and will be replaced by coach Jacques Martin, who becomes the only person in the NHL holding both roles.

Keenan spent just over two years as the team's GM after coaching it for parts of three seasons. The Panthers said in a release that he had left to seek other career opportunities.

"Mike has done a tremendous job over the past two years in positioning this franchise for immediate and future success," said Panthers owner Alan Cohen said. "I want to thank him for his hard work and commitment to our organization."

The move comes just over a week before the team is scheduled to start its training camp after a busy off-season.

The Panthers acquired forward Todd Bertuzzi this summer in a blockbuster deal with Vancouver for goaltender Roberto Luongo. They also acquired goalie Alex Auld and defenceman Bryan Allen in that trade and signed free-agent netminder Ed Belfour.

"He has assembled the most talented team in our franchise's history," Cohen said.

The Panthers were the seventh NHL team for the 56-year-old Keenan. He served as their coach from December 2001 until November 2003, before returning as the general manager in May 2004.

Despite bringing Martin over from the Ottawa Senators to coach a team boosted by the addition of veteran forwards Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts last year, Florida missed the playoffs for the fifth straight season.

Martin spent eight seasons behind the Ottawa bench before joining Florida and is considered one of the league's top coaches. He won the Jack Adams award as coach of the year in 1998-99 and was runner-up three other times.

It will be his first general manager job in the NHL.

Darryl Sutter of the Calgary Flames was the only man to handle both coaching and GM duties last season. He stepped down as coach during the off-season and hired Jim Playfair to replace him, citing the stress of balancing the jobs.

Martin and Keenan were teammates at St. Lawrence University in Canton, N.Y., and worked together with the Chicago Blackhawks from 1988-90
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20060903_144104_4628

oops I meant Keenan

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
im not sure if this was the greatest move for florida. Whenever i paid attention to the news, or watched a Florida game, Luongo didnt seem to be the most enthusiastic person. Of course, Bertuzzi is a great risk, but i think that Florida has the chance to make the playoffs this year, and Keenan was building the kind of team that he works well with. It seems to me that Keenan was taking the Panthers n the right direction.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
halifas said:
im not sure if this was the greatest move for florida. Whenever i paid attention to the news, or watched a Florida game, Luongo didnt seem to be the most enthusiastic person. Of course, Bertuzzi is a great risk, but i think that Florida has the chance to make the playoffs this year, and Keenan was building the kind of team that he works well with. It seems to me that Keenan was taking the Panthers n the right direction.

And By right Direction you mean... Downhill?

Because that's the way it seems like he was taking them with Belfour and no Startting goalie.

BTW... I think He got fired.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Wow a team letting Keenan go, how original. The only thing surprising about this is the timing. I thought he actually did quite well with his return on Luongo, so I am kind of surprised they did it now, but sooner or later he would rattle the wrong cage and be canned anyway. Maybe now the Panthers can move forward. I hope they hire Martin as GM he deserves it.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is not clear what led to the move - made just days before the start of training camp. While the Panthers are publicly saying he has resigned, sources tell TSN that Keenan was actually forced out.
Keenan Has been replaced by MArtin.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Well, a little less for Florida to worry about now, as Hurricane Keenan has finally moved on, leaving a path of destruction behind.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Best move Florida has made this off season. I wonder if Martin will make any major changes to the line-up before the start of the season.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think this was a good idea at all, they should have at least waited for the season to be a couple months old b4 pulling teh plug on him..

IMO i think he made some good signings/deals... A healthy Belfour can lead to great success, and McClennen (or how ever its splet) is a great back-up to him.

Bertuzzi needed a change of scenary and will soon be back to his productive self... Too many people joined the band wagon on this discussion.....

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
CutUp-Insides said:
I don't think this was a good idea at all, they should have at least waited for the season to be a couple months old b4 pulling teh plug on him..

IMO i think he made some good signings/deals... A healthy Belfour can lead to great success, and McClennen (or how ever its splet) is a great back-up to him.

Bertuzzi needed a change of scenary and will soon be back to his productive self... Too many people joined the band wagon on this discussion.....
It's considered a bandwagon if everyone agrees with each other, I don't see this as the same kind of popular topic or "bandwagon" as say the Oilers run. So would the Peca-Bonk thread be considered a bandwagon to, for everyone has agreed Peca is better than Bonk except for a few. It's just obvious who's better, and the Keenan change was for the better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts