Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
There hasn't been much news on him lately.

Last thing was that he was out after knee surgerys, and the doctors may have mis-diagnosed it... or not. anyway, he wanted to blame the Leafs for it so that they could pay him the fully $6.5M and $5M (or $6M) that he thinks they owe him becuase he's injured... something like that. It would total to $12M.

Him and the Leafs were in court a month or so ago I think, but I didn't hear much about it. The NHL/Media/Leafs/Nolan has been quite hush-hush on this topic.

As for when he will return, I have no idea. He almost came back before the trade deadline, but then said he'll concentrate on next season. There's currently still no word from anyone on this subject though....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, so that's how it is. Well, if he's ready to play he might be an asset to the Leafs roster this year. If the Leafs want him back & can squeeze him in under the salary cap that is. Anyway, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
26,388 Posts
Here's some more on the situation.

This is probably old news, but I thought you may want to read it anyway.

Nolan broke new ground in contract negotiations, having a clause put in that stated if the 2004-05 NHL season was cancelled, then he would gain a player option for an additional year in 2005-2006. However, with the NHL CBA in place, this option has become a topic of debate. With the new NHL salary cap, the Maple Leafs deemed Nolan's salary too high, and refuse to recognize Nolan as under contract. Nolan argues that the option is valid, that he will play, and be paid, for the Toronto Maple Leafs, and he deserves to be paid during the lockout due to injury. The Maple Leafs who cleared Nolan as healthy just after the lockout, claim that the injury was incurred off the ice and are refusing to pay Nolan's desired $12 million. The case is to go to an arbitrator.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would have liked to see Nolan come back and play for the Leafs under Paul Maurice.....for whatever reason when Pat Quinn was coach he never really had him paired up with Mats Sundin on a consistant enough basis...probably the perfect winger for Mats...Quinn was also not a fan of what he termed "The Show" and I remember the very first goal Nolan scored in a Leafs jersey and the celebrations he went through afterwards which was fun to watch but after that one goal you never really saw Nolan celebrate that way again in a Leafs jersey after scoring a goal...sometimes Quinn should have just lightened up and let these guys have some fun out there on the ice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts