Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wed, August 23, 2006
By CHRIS STEVENSON

Chara's a Bruin now but his heart is still in capital

It's going to take a while to get used to it, seeing him skating around with the hub and that "B" in the middle on his chest.

Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara (still sounds odd) has been skating with the other NHL players around town here for a few days as they start to crank it up for training camp.

If the coolness in the night air or those first leaves turning a fiery red aren't enough to do it, the real hockey guys getting together for some pickup is a sure sign summer is now on the DL and listed as day-to-day.
Chara, who's been in Ottawa off and on this summer, skated again yesterday with some of the Senators and other NHLers who spend their summers here before he heads off to Boston at the end of the week.

The crest on his chest says Chara is now a Bruin, but his heart, he says, is still here in Ottawa.

If that sounds trite and something you might expect him to say to an Ottawa writer, Chara revealed yesterday Ottawa right now is his first choice as his home when his playing days are done.

"I'm going to stay here. I'm not going back to Europe. I've gotten used to the North American style. I think Ottawa is going to be my home (when he retires)," said the 29-year-old.

"I'm going to live here. Too bad things didn't work out."

Not that he'll need the money when he takes his Freedom 35 or 40 or whatever it is, but Chara can get a job with the tourism board as he extolled Ottawa's virtues yesterday.

"It's a pretty laid back city. It's a place to relax. You can go for a hike, walk around, go to Gatineau Park, there's a river close by. If you want to go downtown it takes you 15 or 20 minutes," he said, ticking off the reasons why he wants to live here.

"I think it's a good environment. I like Canada a lot. We'll see maybe in a year or two I'll change my mind, but definitely I want to stay in Canada."

It was clear yesterday he isn't happy with the way things turned out here. We'll probably never know exactly what happened, what was said and wasn't said in the days and weeks leading up to Chara signing with the Bruins.

The easiest spin -- and one that suits the Senators after having lost him to free agency -- is Chara wanted more than the Senators could afford.

He signed in Boston for $7.5 million a year for five years, obviously more than the Senators could afford given the number and quality of players they needed to sign this off-season.

What's not quite clear is how hard the Senators tried to keep Chara.

'DISAPPOINTED'

When Senators defenceman Wade Redden signed a two-year deal worth $13 million at the end of June, confirming Chara's days with the Senators were over, Chara's agent, Matt Keator said in an e-mail Chara was "happy for Wade, he is a good teammate and a great guy, but is also disappointed that Ottawa was not more aggressive in retaining him."

Chara said it himself yesterday.

There was little or no contact on the club's behalf in that period when it had the exclusive opportunity to sign Chara.

"It's a process where you have the whole season, a whole year to sign a player," he said, reluctantly revisiting what is obviously still a sore point with him.

"It's totally up to the team. It's not up to the player. It's up to the team to sign him. I believe in one thing. If you really want something, you go for it. If you don't, you don't. What can I say?"

Chara said his first choice all along was to stay here.

"For sure. For sure. I was really trying hard. I would have liked to have stayed ... I would have liked to have got it done, but it didn't happen."

As Chara talked to a couple of writers in the lobby of the rink where the players skated yesterday, a few kids came over for autographs.

"Good luck in Boston," said one little guy, with a downcast look on his face.

So now Chara becomes the best ex-Senator out there, one with maybe a bit of a chip on his shoulder (that's a long way for that chip to fall, by the way) playing in the same division with eight games between the two clubs on the horizon.

It's still August and summer is on the limp and lord knows you don't want to wish away the last golden days but Oct. 28 -- the first game between the Senators and the Bruins -- isn't really that far off, is it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I still have a feeling he'll get booed. Fans won't forgive a greedy player who skipped town. Anyone who reminds them of Yashin....won't get a warm reception. You want to play on a team badly enough..you'll take that one million dollar pay cut. He opted for greener pastures for one million more. Playing the victim won't get you on the fans good side.

Martin Havlat will definetly get booed.
Same deal with Chris Pronger.
That will definetly be an ugly return for him to Edmonton(Deservedly so, in my opinion).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, I think he will get booed as well!!

Fans are getting sick and tired of these greedy players, and they all say, it's not for the money, it's the love of the game, RIGHT, just because the average fan makes between $20-$100 thousand a year, doesn't mean their stupid, we weren't born yesterday!!!!


There is no doubt about it, Havlat and Pronger will get booed, deservedly so!!! :cheeky4:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,444 Posts
Ezekiel said:
I still have a feeling he'll get booed. Fans won't forgive a greedy player who skipped town. Anyone who reminds them of Yashin....won't get a warm reception. You want to play on a team badly enough..you'll take that one million dollar pay cut. He opted for greener pastures for one million more. Playing the victim won't get you on the fans good side.

Martin Havlat will definetly get booed.
Same deal with Chris Pronger.
That will definetly be an ugly return for him to Edmonton(Deservedly so, in my opinion).

Actually, it wasn't all money that landed him in Boston.

In the end, it may have been Cam Neely who was the deciding factor in him going to the Bruins.

Neely talked Chara into Beantown - Hockey Hearsay - Sportsnet.ca

Not guaranteeing that he would have stayed in Ottawa in the first place of course. If I remember correctly, his agent did already informed the Sens that he's on his way out, so I guess a reference to Cam won't completely help him escape the wrath of Sens fans.:laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BE-LEAF-ABLE said:
Actually, it wasn't all money that landed him in Boston.

In the end, it may have been Cam Neely who was the deciding factor in him going to the Bruins.

Neely talked Chara into Beantown - Hockey Hearsay - Sportsnet.ca

Not guaranteeing that he would have stayed in Ottawa in the first place of course. If I remember correctly, his agent did already informed the Sens that he's on his way out, so I guess a reference to Cam won't completely help him escape the wrath of Sens fans.:laugh:
If any of that was the case, and I'm not saying it wasn't, why didn't it come out before now, like when the negotiations were going on for example? I think that is just a cop out for the fans of Ottawa!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I didn't get much out of this article other then he enjoys the city of Ottawa and wants to live there.

No biggie. He still wears a Bruins uniform. Many players live in other cities then were they play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Chara was great.

Hey guys the only guy I boo on the ice is Alexei Yashin. I HATE YOU YASHIN. Anyways I'm a hardcore sens fan and I won't be booing Big Z. Big Z is one of the greats right now in hockey but he didn't have to ask for all of that money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
senatorsfan1987 said:
Hey guys the only guy I boo on the ice is Alexei Yashin. I HATE YOU YASHIN. Anyways I'm a hardcore sens fan and I won't be booing Big Z. Big Z is one of the greats right now in hockey but he didn't have to ask for all of that money.
Yashin deserves to get BOOED!!! But I think Chara will get booed as well, in the eyes of the Ottawa fans, he's just another greedy hockey player, and for that, they will boo him!!!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top