Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Osgood retires, stays with Wings as goalie consultant
Dan Rosen said:
Three-time Stanley Cup champion Chris Osgood is hanging up the pads and calling it a career.

Osgood, 38, announced his retirement on a conference call with reporters Tuesday. He leaves the NHL with 401 career victories, including 317 as a Detroit Red Wing. Only Hall of Famer Terry Sawchuk won more games with the Red Wings (352) than Osgood, who won the Stanley Cup twice as a starter (1998, 2008) and once as a backup (1997).

Detroit GM Ken Holland also announced that Osgood is staying with the organization as a goalie consultant and will help mentor the Red Wings' goaltending prospects...
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=569633&navid=DL|NHL|home

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Best of luck to him in whatever he chooses to do in the future, but I wish he would have retired before the transfer window with Sweden closed, or at least told Holland to move ahead like he was and that he would battle for a spot if he decided to return. Would have tossed a chance to a returning Daniel Larsson, or a signed Viktor Fasth or Cristopher Nihlstorp out of the Elitserien. Maybe they have NHL out-clauses though. I'm not sure.

It's just really slim-pickings out there on the free agent market right now - only Emery and Leclaire really stand out as guys that could potentially push Howard, assuming the two of them stay healthy. I liked Conklin when he was here, but there just wasn't anything he did in St. Louis this year that stood out to me as him being that guy at this point - hell, they signed Brian Elliott over retaining him.

Personally, I'd like to see them be aggressive and make a trade with a team that has a bit of a log-jam in net. I doubt Ben Scrivens gets a spot with the Maple Leafs, but he was one of the best goaltenders in the AHL last year, same with Eddie Läck in Vancouver, Richard Bachman in Dallas, Jeff Zatkoff in Los Angeles and Anton Khudobin in Boston. Originally Mark Dekanich in Nashville was on my list for these guys, but Columbus signed him as a UFA VI.

It's a bit of a roll of the dice but the team is more than capable enough to play well in front of an "unproven" guy as playing in front of Conklin, and it's not like Jimmy's going to all of a sudden have his starts cut.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts