Hockey Fan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Osama bin Laden killed

Osama bin Laden, the glowering mastermind behind the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks that killed thousands of Americans, was slain in his luxury hideout in Pakistan early Monday in a firefight with U.S. forces, ending a manhunt that spanned a frustrating decade.

Bin Laden, 54, was killed after a firefight with Navy SEALs and CIA paramilitary forces at a compound in the city of Abbottabad. He was shot in the head, NBC News reported.

A U.S. official told NBC News that bin Laden was later buried at sea "in accordance with Islamic law and tradition."
Full Story

Rot in hell you piece of ****.

The one thing that worries me is that he might have just become a martyr. Who knows how, if at all, al Qaida will respond.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." - Mark Twain

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Hasn't he been in hiding for many months(years?) so does it really affect us if he's dead or not,excluding the satisfication that is,or relief.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Hasn't he been in hiding for many months(years?) so does it really affect us if he's dead or not,excluding the satisfication that is,or relief.
In terms of a global scale, his death affects a lot. Even though he was in hiding, al-Qaeda was distributing tapes as recently as late January saying that French journalists would be killed if French troops didn't leave Afghanistan. Given that there was recently distributed materials and an active courier living with him, I wouldn't go anywhere near implying that he was inactive, despite his 'hiding'.

I'm sure there was a lot of information on the premises of the compound, be it hard drives, DVDs, paperwork or other recordings that can hopefully reveal future plans for al-Qaeda and information about the other people that are involved in the organization. There's a lot of potential of good things to come out of that information.

It's an incredible moment in history.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Oh great Obama's approval ratings are going to go up :thumbsdow:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/05/official-1-killed-bin-laden-raid-armed-firing/

Sources: Bin Laden Acted 'Cowardly,' Confused in Final Moments

FoxNews.com said:
Sources involved in the operation that took down Usama bin Laden told Fox News the terrorist leader acted "scared" and "completely confused" in his final moments, "shoving his wife" at the Navy SEAL who ultimately shot him...

...Sources who were part of the mission said bin Laden acted in a "cowardly manner" when confronted...

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I can't say I'm shocked that he threw his wife in front of him.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
With the dust settled, the White House is now saying the Bin Laden didn't use his wife as a human shield, so who really knows? We know it sounds good, and he was still a piece of crap regardless. Since it now seems to be have been untrue, it probably says more about how we want to view people like him; as not dying with honour, showing their "true colours", etc. It makes us feel better that he died shoving his wife in front of the Navy Seals. I'm fine with it simply being better for the world that he's dead.

Incidentally, I've heard on numerous times of Bin Laden's death as "passing away". My 92-year old Grandmother passed away from Alzheimier's Disease. That's passing away. If you've been "double-tapped" you can't really call it passing away. Yes, I'm arguing semantics, but there really is a clear distinction to be made.

Daryl

edit - It seems outright silly to have an article which makes a point of saying that Bin Laden was "scared" and "completely confused" during the attack. Point me in the direction of the person who wakes up in the middle of the night to that who wouldn't be scared and completely confused.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The bastard's dead. That's all that really matters.
He was a bad person and i am happy the world may be a better place but i just can't agree with the way people reacted. Dancing in the streets and cheering. honestly this is probably for the better but i just don't think it's right to celebrate the death of a human being. no matter what they've done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts