Hockey Fan Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Re: Oilers sign Penner, Burke is ticked

Well, I'm an Oilers fan too and I think Lowe made this move because he couldn't get any stars to come here, so he just got a bunch of money on Penner and hopes he plays like Roloson did when he first came here. We're also placing him on the first line and all that should deliver the message that we expect him to play well, and hopefully he gets that message, and gets psyched, otherwise, he's probably gone before Feb. 28th.
Trust me, adama, I think Lowe knows what he's doing.
Well, I suppose he doesn't really care about Penner's playoff production, cuz it really doesn't matter when you play for the Oilers. Yeah, like playing him on the first line will matter. I still predict max of 35 points for him.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Well, I suppose he doesn't really care about Penner's playoff production, cuz it really doesn't matter when you play for the Oilers. Yeah, like playing him on the first line will matter. I still predict max of 35 points for him.
35 points?! Dude, if he gets a good start, he may get that many goals.

·
Registered
295 Posts

Here is the performance of some recent major UFA signings in the past season:

Penner 5 years, 21.5 million (avg 4.3 / season )
* 82 GP 29 G 16 A 45 PTS (+/-) -2 PIM 58 *

Gomez 7 years, 51.5 million (avg 7.4 / season )
* 72 GP 13 G 47 A 60 PTS (+/-) +7 PIM 42 *

Drury 5 years, 35.25 million (avg 7.1 / season )
* 77 GP 37 G 32 A 69 PTS (+/-) +1 PIM 30 *

Jovanovski 5 years, 35.5 million (avg 7.1 / season )
* 54 GP 11 G 18 A 29 PTS (+/-) -6 PIM 29 *

So, Kevin Lowe is the not really the one driving up the cost of sub-par players in the NHL. He's just somebody whos learning how to play the game in such a circumstance. The circumstances are not a product of his actions, his actions are a product of the circumstances. With more than 7 million thrown at guys like Gomez and Drury per season, and Ryan Smyth making 6.5, is Dustin Penner really not worth 4.3 per season? He may not be WORTH 4.3, but to build a competitive team NOW, this is the price to pay in a saturated market.

A la hockeybuzz.com

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8830

"these figures for the upcoming season really put the deal into perspective:

58 players will make $5 million+
91 players will make $4 million+
147 players will make $3 million+
240 players will make $2 million+

And those numbers will go up even higher once the remaining free agents sign.

Here are some stats on Penner that you may or may not already know:

* 24 years old

* 6'4, 245 lbs

* 29 goals (tied for 43rd with Alfredsson, Straka, Shanahan, Cole and Jordan Staal)

* 19 goals on the road (tied for 11th with Sakic, Gaborik, Satan)

* 20 goals at even strength (only 28 players had more)

* 9 powerplay goals (tied with many including Briere, Nash, Jokinen, Cole, Naslund, Demitra)

* 5 game winning goals (43 players had more, tied with Cheechoo, Hossa, Spezza, Jagr, Elias, Vanek, etc)

* 0 empty net goals

* Second on the team in goals (to Selanne)

* Second on the team in even strength goals (to Selanne)

* Tied for third on the team in GWG

* Third in shots and second in shooting percentage

* Played only 14 minutes per game (9th among Ducks forwards and less then Travis Moen)

* After the all-star break Penner had 13 goals and 6 assists in 32 games and was a +7. Ten of those goals came at even strength. Penner's shooting pct was 18.8%.

* In his second year in the AHL Penner had 39 goals and 84 points - in 57 games

* Combined 6 goals and 17 points in his first two playoff seasons (34 games)

Given those stats and what you could reasonably project for the next few years, does Penner's name really look out of place on this list?

Scott Hartnell - $25.2 mil ($4.2 x 6)
Brenden Morrow - $24.6 mil ($4.1 x 6)
Derek Roy - $24 mil ($4 x 6)
Nathan Horton - $24 mil ($4 x 6)
Ryan Whitney - $24 mil ($4 x 6)
Dustin Penner - $21.5 mil ($4.3 x 5)
Jason Blake - $20 mil ($4 x 5)
Michael Nylander - $19.5 mil ($4.875 x 4)
Cory Sarich - $18 mil ($3.8 x 5)
Michael Handzus - $16 mil ($4 mil x 4)

I wrote not too long ago about a shift in philosophy - moving from paying for past performance to paying for potential performance. I believe that is what Lowe was thinking in making this deal. Penner right now is probably only worth $2.5 mil for this upcoming season so the Oilers are overpaying by around $1.8 mil. Sounds outrageous but when you look around the league and see the wasted cap space and overpaid players sprinkled across pretty much every team, it doesn't look so bad at all."

·
Registered
89 Posts

Yeah, sorry, but the only reason he got 45 points was cuz of the line he was on and the team he was on. He will be very lucky to hit the 30 point mark.
yah, sorry adama but i still disagree. I say that penner will do just fine with Horcoff and Hemsky. Take note of Hemsky's 40 assists this season.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

Yeah, sorry, but the only reason he got 45 points was cuz of the line he was on and the team he was on. He will be very lucky to hit the 30 point mark.
You need to pay a little more attention, he wasn't on the top line in Anehiem, what makes you think Getslaf and perry have so much more skill then edmonton's top line? Wise up man.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Lowe is doing a great job and he'll make changes in the lines and on the roster, according to what he sees on the ice. Dude, Lowe is no rookie at being a GM, infact, he's one of the best in the league.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts